Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP vs MAP Pro

Options
Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been using MAPP for over 2 years now and my first two bottles of gas are empty. MAPP has been replaced by MAP Pro (for whatever reason: enviromental concerns?). I bought a bottle of this gas, made by Worthington. Have used it a couple of times now and my impression is that it is not as good as MAPP, or at least the brand I bought isn't. They didn't have the Bernzomatic version when I bought it. Here are my observations: The gas isn't as hot since it takes longer to get some coals going. The viscosity or density of the gas is different enough from MAPP that it doesn't work as well with my torch. The flame doesn't seem to burn as bright or with much intensity. When I turn the bottle up to point the flame down, the torch goes out. This never happened with MAPP.

Anyone else have similar experiences or is there something wrong with my torch? Is it just this brand or is there a difference with the Bernzomatic brand?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I just made the switch from propane to mapp and noticed it isn't mapp. It burns almost identical to the propane. Pissed me right off. :angry:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Map Pro is a Propylene based gas. Map-Pro weighs less per volume, but will be sold in identical yellow cylinders as MAPP was. Map-Pro will be 14 oz per cylinder, while MAPP was 16.

I use MAPP in some of my metalworking and I bought quite a bit of it a couple of years ago and have just gotten into a couple of cylinders of MAP Pro. I can't tell much difference. Some of the folks that work with glass claim there is a slight residue with the Map Pro.

No issues with any of my torches.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Since the density of the gas is different, shouldn't this affect the burn characteristics? I know the venturis are different for torches using different gases. Maybe the MAPP venturi is not optimized for MAP Pro.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    That could be, depending on the brand of torch you have. I think the Bernzomatic heads for MAPP will burn Map Pro and even propane. But I know you can't go the other way and burn Map Pro using a propane torch.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • faithie999
    Options
    a quick google search (and we know that everything on the web is true!!) reveals:
    1) the sole manufacturer of MAPP gas discontinued its production with no explanation why
    2) one of the MAPP components, propadiene, has become more valuable in the plastics industry than the industrial gas industry
    3) bernz-o-matic says use the same torch head for MAP-pro as for MAPP
  • Jmorabito25
    Options
    What nozzle is needed for the map pro?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    MAPP... Ozark Oak...... When will the madness stop?!!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Interesting thread.  I used a Bernzomatic weed torch with MAPP gas to start my egg for the first time this weekend to speed up the start for a big family cook.  Big improvement over Rutland starter cubes.    Looks like I am going to have to do some experimentation with MAP-PRO and some propane (which I already have).
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)