Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: This looks like it FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited April 2014 in Off Topic

Amazon Fire TV

Processor Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
GPU Qualcomm Adreno 320
Memory 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ
Content Support Video: H.263, H.264, MPEG4-SP, VC1
Audio: AAC, AC-3, E-AC-3, HE-A, PCM, MP3
Photo: JPG, PNG

The specs blow away everything out there!  Roku, Apple TV, WDTV and so on.  I already ordered it!   :D

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Crap.  I want but I don't need.  I already have 3 Roku, 1 HTPC, 2 Chromecasts, 1 DVR and 3 cable boxes.
    Options
    Crap.  I want but I don't need.  I already have 3 Roku, 1 HTPC, 2 Chromecasts, 1 DVR and 3 cable boxes.
    Quad-core, 2GB RAM and a dedicated GPU.  Is there really anything to think about bro?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I saw this on Gizmodo this morning. As soon as it gets HBOgo, I'm in.

nola, sell off some of the other stuff. Duh.
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    I got one too...will be here Friday.  Now we have the GoogleTV, the Roku, and the Chromecast...hopefully this thing will live up to the hype.  

Did you see the gaming controller? Click Here

d

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    I love the Chromecast. Can't beat what it offers for $35.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    maybe ill order one too........what is it
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cazzy
    Options
    I got one too...will be here Friday.  Now we have the GoogleTV, the Roku, and the Chromecast...hopefully this thing will live up to the hype.  

Did you see the gaming controller? Click Here

d

Got a gaming controller too!   :D 
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I love the Chromecast. Can't beat what it offers for $35.
    Yes, but it stopped appealing to me when they patched the hack.  
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Geeks. B-)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Does it run through cable or Internet? Explain it to me like I'm stupid.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I have one of those hackable Apple TVs too.  $25.  Haven't used it yet.
    Options
    The chromecast is great, but you can't get the free amazon prime shows on it.

Dallas, TX

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The chromecast is great, but you can't get the free amazon prime shows on it.

This is the only reason I'm considering it. Between Xbox, Chromecast, and Tivo Roamio, I should be set. But not for Prime Instant Streaming.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    edited April 2014
    Options
    PS3 does a good job for me. Netflix, AmazonPrime, HuluPlus - and I can play Tiger Woods 2014. 

Interested to see how you like it though @cazzy - It looks like its a solid device.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @cazzy

Doesn't matter. Tell me what product offers that portability at that price point? I can take Netflix and HBOgo with me and allow anyone to enjoy on a TV with a HDMI port. It's only going to get better as more stuff is developed for it. 

Which hack? The root shell?

That's what my wife's Kindle Fire is for. My 2 year old doesn't care what she watches Curious George on. That means 30 minutes extra of sleep for me. That's worth a lot more than $35 on a Saturday morning. 
  • cazzy
    Options

@cazzy

Doesn't matter. Tell me what product offers that portability at that price point? I can take Netflix and HBOgo with me and allow anyone to enjoy on a TV with a HDMI port. It's only going to get better as more stuff is developed for it. 

That's what my wife's Kindle Fire is for. My 2 year old doesn't care what she watches Curious George on. That means 30 minutes extra of sleep for me. That's worth a lot more than $35 on a Saturday morning. 
    Yeah...Streaming media from HBOgo, Netflix, Hulu, and Prime have never been a problem. Between my TV, Xbox One and my PS4, I'm covered. I'm more interested in being able to stream movies from my Drobo or computers.

Early on, the Chromecast was hackable to run a custom rom so you can stream from your personal media, not just media services.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:
    @cazzy

Yeah...Streaming media from HBOgo, Netflix, Hulu, and Prime have never been a problem. Between my TV, Xbox One and my PS4, I'm covered. I'm more interested in being able to stream movies from my Drobo or computers. Early on, the Chromecast was hackable to run a custom rom so you can stream from your personal media, not just media services.
    Plex.tv works with Chromecast now for local streaming. I haven't tried it yet.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Doesn't Allcast stream local media? Does tab casting no longer work?
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    I think the issue with the tab casting and Amazon is that the Chromecast is actually getting the data from the PC or Laptop, and them "showing" it on the TV.

Whereas with services that it supports, like netflix, chromecast directly connects to the service via the internet.

Dallas, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    I think the issue with the tab casting and Amazon is that the Chromecast is actually getting the data from the PC or Laptop, and them "showing" it on the TV.

Whereas with services that it supports, like netflix, chromecast directly connects to the service via the internet.

Correct. All other streaming is via the cloud.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Doesn't Allcast stream local media? Does tab casting no longer work?
    I'm honestly sure.  I like stuff to be supported natively, especially media tanks and what not.  I don't want to transcode at all.  

Either way, I'll eventually pick up a Chromecast.  Why not...it's freaking cheap as hell.  lol
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Whatever you do, XBMC FTW.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I am surprised that all this excitement did not boost their stock today . . the slump continues :(
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    To keep with the theme as a luddite; BFD-DILLIGAF and there are more but not forum friendly :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    Options
    NDG said:

I am surprised that all this excitement did not boost their stock today . . the slump continues :(

I'm sure they're concerned, but i dont think it's something they're losing sleep over.

The whole segment is good, and they even hinted at the Kindle Fire TV, but he wouldn't talk about it. At 7min, he talks about Amazon's business model. It's one of the main reasons Amazon is the only place I'll buy impulsively.

60 Minutes Segment - Inside Amazon: http://youtu.be/gcXoj_UBXv8
  • nolaegghead
    Options

lousubcap said:
    To keep with the theme as a luddite; BFD-DILLIGAF and there are more but not forum friendly :)>-
    I lust love when luddites post their dissatisfaction of technology on a blog. ;)

Carve it into some dirt with a stick.  Just messin wif ya.
    Options
    @nolaegghead-I do not interpret the above as dissatisfaction with technology, just that sometimes the speed of tech is faster than I choose to run.  Eventually I may catch up with the trailing edge but if not then...Who GAF!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    Options
    @nolaegghead  Did you order it?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @cazzy  Nope.  Probably will, I have a problem.  Same as yours. 

I still haven't hooked up my apple TV.

On the multimedia front, I got a nice DAC for all my digital music sources and got my whole system rewired and rocking.
    Options
    @lousubcap - I'm just busting your balls, man.  :D  I'm into technology because I find it interesting and it's my job.  I just wish the luddites would stop asking me to fix their computers, 'cause I AIN'T IN THE COMPUTER FIXIN' BIDNESS!!  (just bitching about everyone I know that thinks a software engineer is in the computer fixin' business).