Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I've done paper and towels and foil and towels. I haven't noticed much difference other than nasty towels with the paper.

You've also wrapped with paper, then wrapped foil over it to FTC and had equally bad results.  Sawdust!

yeah- I don't do that anymore. One or the other. Not sure that was the deal but that was a bad brisket. 

I'm pretty positive...but not willing to test again.  lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    I've done paper and towels and foil and towels. I haven't noticed much difference other than nasty towels with the paper.

You've also wrapped with paper, then wrapped foil over it to FTC and had equally bad results.  Sawdust!

yeah- I don't do that anymore. One or the other. Not sure that was the deal but that was a bad brisket. 

I'm pretty positive...but not willing to test again.  lol
    me too. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Is there a way to let it rest without ruining the integrity of the Bark ?

Toronto
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options

Is there a way to let it rest without ruining the integrity of the Bark ?

Throw it on the cutting board for an hour. If you're ready to eat, there is no need to FTC

FTC is naturally going to soften the bark a lil, but it's still great. When it's ruined is when you cook the last part of your cook with it wrapped in foil?
  • pantsypants
    Options
    yeah i would not do that at all  .

Toronto
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Finished product was the best I've ever made....was a hit at home...
    I know many are against it, but I did make a small batch of burnt ends out of some of the leftovers...I could have done without them, but its Mama's favorite kind of q...and if she isnt happy, well, its a bad day on the ranch...

@cazzy, thanks for all your assistance, I couldn't have done it without your guidance...if we ever cross paths, the first couple are on me...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Happy to help sir.

You nailed the flat! Looks like you had great moisture! Good slices too.

Since I helped you, I feel obligated to offer some critiques too as it will help you get better. The point either looks like it rendered a lil too much in some spots, or you shredded it with your knife. When carving, always watch how the grain moves and turn your knife accordingly so you're always cutting against the grain. Looks like you were riding the danger zone there and ended up with some stringy pieces. Pick up one of the knives I linked in my 2nd or 3rd post of this thread...you can thank me later. ;)

I don't do burnt ends, but by all means, especially if it makes the wifey happy.

Good job! Always good to get great feedback from the fam and friends!! You'll have plenty if momentum going into the next one. :)

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    You are dead on...I think it was the knife...I will have the right one before the next one...

I had a few other learning moments too...This one was great but I'm still striving for perfect...

Thanks again
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Awesome work
    Toronto
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Oh...by the way. Great pic of your boy...He looks excited and ready to grub!
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Lol...thanks...He is my official tester...