Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Disaster

Options
Hi, I'm new to owning a BGE. I purchased a large size for a birthday/christmas present to myself. I've used traditional wood fired smokers before, but was tired of dragging around a massive 70" grill (its was a dual grill, one side gas, on side charcoal/smoker with a smokebox on one end and a searer on the other). I'm 4 ft 11in so this things was bigger than me! Anyway, I've cooked a few things on my egg and they've been okay. My steaks were a little too done, I think. They just seemed hard to chew. I cooked them 2 minutes on each side at about 650, then dampered everything and left them on the egg for about 4 minutes. My burgers were pretty good. Had a nice charbroiled taste. Yesterday I thought I'd try my hand at a chicken. I had a little stand that I put a coke in (that's all I had), did a dry rub on the chicken, then cooked it with indirect heat at about 350-375 for an hour. I checked it and it had a lot of blood so I cooked it another 30 minutes. When I cut it up, the breast wasn't bad, but the legs were very undone. Lots of blood. I had used a thermometer in the thigh and it said it was 180 so I have no idea why the meat was not done. Was it the indirect heat? I thought I'd read on here that others used indirect at 350 for about 1-1 1/2 hours. Unless my thermometer is way wrong but I don't think so. Any idea what I did wrong? Next time I think I'll do direct heat. I don't have a grate extender though so I'm worried my chicken will be too close to the fire. My husband in not a griller or cook at all so I'm on my own on this. I also have a wood fired pizza oven out back that I designed and built. Killer pizzas in 90 seconds. Yeah, I'm the short chick at Sams Club drooling over the big grills and smokers with all the guys. :)
ShannyShooShoo 
Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Hang in there. It all depends on the size of the bird, but for chicken at 350-400 to be done in an hour, I typically see that spatchcocked and over a raised direct heat. You don't need a fancy rig for raised direct, just a few cheap fire bricks or old coke cans on the fire ring will do.

Beercan chicken usually takes about 2 1/2 hours over indirect heat at 350.

As for thermometer, is it calibrated? Did you accidentally measure the temp up against the thigh bone? Was the thermometer deep into the thigh muscle?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• shannonlcorum
    Options
    I figured maybe it needed more time because of the indirect. Kind of how it takes about 9-10 hours to do a small brisket. I did do 2 small briskets, BTW, that turned out great! I probably have some firebricks from building the pizza oven so I'll give that a try next time. Thanks!
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options

This chicken works:

Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shannonlcorum
    Options
    I'll have to figure out what "spatchcocked" means. I keep seeing that here but have never heard of it before. Your rub sounds interesting. Might have to try that. Thanks.
    ShannyShooShoo 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here you go:

Welcome to the forum!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Do you have a Thermapen?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome!

You will get much better results cooking to temp not time. A reliable (calibrated) thermometer is a must. The Thermapen is popular, but cheaper ones are available from the same company. Some options:

I like that the Thermopop is backlit... plus it comes in colors!

Spatchcock means to cut the spine of the chicken out with shears and flatten it out, opening it up like a book. Cook with the cavity facing the fire and the meat facing up. With many (most?) eggs, there is a hot spot towards the back (hinge side) if your platesetter is placed with one leg towards the handle. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Re your steaks, I would say they were probably overdone.  The sear at 650 is fine, but it takes quite a while for the gtill temperature to drop when you close down the dampers.

Reverse sear may work better for you.  In this case you cook the steaks slowly to a temp of about 120- the center and surface should be close to the same level of doneness.  Then you take the steaks off, let them rest while you open the vents and let the egg go nuclear.  At that point a sear of 30 minutes to 2 minutes per side (depending on how well done you  like your steaks) and you should be more pleased with the results.  A quick read probe thermometer like the Thermapen is a game changer if you don't have one.

Use the search function on the forum for "reverse sear"  you'll see lots of examples.

As for spatchcocking a chicken (or any poultry), just google the word, you will find everything including youtube examples.  You should give it a try.  With that said, I have done it, and prefer my chicken cooked indirect with a drip pan beneath.  Usually 375 - 400 dome temp.  I have done beer can and without, same end result IMO.

Enjoy the ride, and take advantage of all the resources on this forum!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Indirect I bump the temp to 400-425. Towards the end I cut the skin at the leg joint. On your steaks...if you go nuclear on a reverse sear...BURP THE EGG. Slowly lift the lid and let oxygen in SLOWLY. The No eyebrow look is not good. You can YouTube spatchcock. ..I dont do it anymore. I get better results standing them up. ( @Mickey is cursing me now ). Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Re your steaks, I would say they were probably overdone.  The sear at 650 is fine, but it takes quite a while for the gtill temperature to drop when you close down the dampers.

Reverse sear may work better for you.  In this case you cook the steaks slowly to a temp of about 120- the center and surface should be close to the same level of doneness.  Then you take the steaks off, let them rest while you open the vents and let the egg go nuclear.  At that point a sear of 30 minutes to 2 minutes per side (depending on how well done you  like your steaks) and you should be more pleased with the results.  A quick read probe thermometer like the Thermapen is a game changer if you don't have one.

I believe he meant "30 seconds to 2 minutes per side" :)

• henapple
    Options
    What are you? The forum police? That's Centex job.
  • caliking
    edited January 2014
    Options
      Hey I was just trying to be helpful for a change... unlike some people I know :)

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    This used to be a much friendlier place.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• henapple
    Options
    Isn't it much more fun now?
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited January 2014
    Options
    caliking said:

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :-O @caliking, you know what I meant.  I am sure @shannonlcorum will figure it out too.   @henapple, I figured you were the forum police, and maybe @caliking caught you napping!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • henapple
    Options
    I'm just a lowly servant. ..
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Spatchcock Chicken and a few sausage Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Cali is stepping up his game. I thought he was just the WGWW police.
  • caliking
    Options
    @Cookinbob - just trying to help the OP out... I'm totally the type to read half the directions and run off and screw something up, so was just trying to prevent that sort of scenario :) 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2014
    Options
    If you trust your thermometer (a Thermapen I hope) and you are using it correctly, it is quite possible a cooked chicken can look underdone - even though it is not. Cook to temp, not time or color. 
    Check this link - maybe your bird was not a disaster after all. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you trust your thermometer (a Thermapen I hope) and you are using it correctly, it is quite possible a cooked chicken can look underdone - even though it is not. Cook to temp, not time or color. 
    Check this link - maybe your bird was not a disaster after all. 

+1 on this.  I have cooked dark meat chicken before that I was absolutely sure was done (it was over 190) , and it still had some red/pink near the bone.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shannonlcorum
    Options
    caliking said:
    Yeah, I was thinking "30 minutes and I'd likely end up with something similar to my lump charcoal!" I suspected he meant seconds. 
    ShannyShooShoo 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Do you have a Thermapen?
    You really should get one of these.  It takes the guessing out of the picture.  About the only thing I cook but don't use the Thermapen on is ribs.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• henapple
    Options
    The thermapen should come with the egg.