Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Cooking

Options
So, I am thinking Spatchcock chicken for the first attempt on the new egg.  First of all, where did that name come from?  Secondly, is the only good way to raise the cooking grate for direct cooking to buy another rack?  It is not a big deal, I just don't want to have every gadget out there.

Homewood, AL
Lg BGE, Green Weber Performer, Green Weber Genesis

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Bolts and nuts to raise the grid to felt line, fire bricks, beer cans (empty)....etc...
    Best is to use three carriage bolts (SS) resting on the fire ring and adjust the final height using washers and nuts. Gets the grid up high for raised direct with about 5 minutes of effort. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bwhitehead
    Options
    Bolts and nuts to raise the grid to felt line, fire bricks, beer cans (empty)....etc...
    Best is to use three carriage bolts (SS) resting on the fire ring and adjust the final height using washers and nuts. Gets the grid up high for raised direct with about 5 minutes of effort. 

Sounds simple enough.  Thanks

Homewood, AL
    Lg BGE, Green Weber Performer, Green Weber Genesis

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I use 3 fire bricks (splits to be exact). Sit on top of fire ring. Put stock grate on top of that. I have also heard beer cans will work.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I put 2 49¢ firebricks (east and west) from Home Depot on my SS grate and then my CI grate (or vice versa) on top of the bricks. Raises it just past the felt line.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Here is one of my spatchcocks... I want to thank @Mickey for all the advice.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I use my spider from Ceramic Grill Store. It only cost around $20. It's desogned to drop down lower in the firebox for searing, but if you flip it over, it also raises the grate the same distance, and is pretty stable. Works fine for me.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 327
    Options
    Spatchcock:

Origin:
    1775–85;  apparently alteration of spitchcock; popular interpretation as shortening of dispatch ****  is probably specious

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD