Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New EGGhead here! (Photo Heavy)

Happy New Year!

My parents surprised me with a LBGE for Christmas, but wisely delivered it couple of weeks early for preparation of Christmas dinner - smart folks! There is definitely a learning curve, but only five or six cooks in I'm getting more comfortable with the temperature control and cooking times. Below are a few photos of my early cooks. Looking forward to being a part of the community here - this place is an incredible resource!

imageThe maiden voyage.

First spatchcock chicken, with coffee rub.

image9lbs+ bone-in pork shoulder, Dizzy Dust with drip pan of apple juice and leftover beer from an unfinished growler.

imageSemi-Turbo: total of 8hrs around 325-350 degrees. This was about 6hrs in. Left on in hopes of developing better bark.

imageResults after 8hrs on EGG plus FTC for 1.5hrs.

imageThis shoulder was so tender and moist that the bone pulled out clean, and the pork could almost pull itself.

imageServed on rolls with grit casserole, with homemade Eastern NC vinegar-based and SC mustard-based sauces on side. Probably better than most pulled pork I've had in our fine city and state.

imageSpatchcock chicken with fresh herb rub, with lemon and rosemary.

imagePrime filet mignon (petite filet for the wife, above) with baked potato (cooked on the EGG), and sautéed green beans. In hindsight, potato could have cooked longer, and I would have preferred a better crust on the filet. But it was getting really dark outside, and I was antsy to get done. The filets came out perfect medium-rare, but again I would have preferred more crust. I cooked them reverse sear method, removed the plate setter, cranked EGG up to 700+ and used a CI skillet to get an even sear, 90 seconds per side. Next time I'll pull them sooner and sear longer, probably 2 mins per side. First try at steaks was with ribeyes, and the SS grid didn't give enough of a crust, so tried the CI skillet route this time. Maybe next time a little oil or butter will crisp up better?

Lastly, the wife liked the lemon rosemary spatch chicken so much, I did some bone-in breasts this way, to have with corn bread dressing and vegetables.

Not pictured, but I've also tried s'mores (the old-fashioned way, but I have to admit those s'mores cones look awesome!), as well as a nutty apple-blackberry crisp in the CI skillet. Looking forward to gathering many tips and tricks from you more experienced eggers!

Thanks, folks! 

LBGE Atlanta, GA  Ramblin' Wreck

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688

Welcome aboard! Nice cook's. Enjoy the ride!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Welcome!  Beautiful looking cooks and pictures.  It looks to me like you have it all figured out ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Welcome here. Happy New Year. There is a lot of ideas and helpful info here. Looks like you jumped in with both feet. Your parents did you very well. Better keep cooking for them for sure.  :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Great pics for sure..newbie here as well and recent addict.  BTW what IT did you get your shoulder to?  
  • Pretty impressive looking cooks!  Are you in NC?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    That's one clean looking egg!  Great looking cooks too!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Welcome!  That BGE won't be that clean looking for long!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Cam, the IT was about 195 when I pulled it from the egg. I don't have any probes, so just relying on an instant read thermo. I would have probably waited until 200, but was running close on time.
    cam05210 said:
    Great pics for sure..newbie here as well and recent addict.  BTW what IT did you get your shoulder to?  

John, I'm in Atlanta, but have spent some time in the research triangle area.

Pretty impressive looking cooks!  Are you in NC?

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Ahhh..a virgin white egg! Looks like you broke its cherry perfectly. Welcome to the addiction :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited January 2014
    Welcome....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Welcome to the club
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited January 2014
    Great first cooks.  Welcome! 

Grits casserole sounds tasty.  How do you make it! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited January 2014
    I cooked them reverse sear method, removed the plate setter, cranked EGG up to 700+ and used a CI skillet to get an even sear, 90 seconds per side. Next time I'll pull them sooner and sear longer, probably 2 mins per side. First try at steaks was with ribeyes, and the SS grid didn't give enough of a crust, so tried the CI skillet route this time. Maybe next time a little oil or butter will crisp up better?

Another 30 seconds/side  would probably be all that was needed. 
    I use the spider and a cast iron grid for searing. Getting the steak a little closer to the fire helps.  I leave the lid up when searing to lessen the oven effect.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm digging the sauces. The best kind! My dad's family is from Lumberton, NC and I'm from Charleston, SC. I may be a little biased.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    What a great start. I'd say you "get it"! Welcome and keep posting
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Welcome.  Cooks look great!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    You need to dirty that plate setter up! Welcome to the insanity.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • The grits casserole is simple, you just cook your grits with milk (or cream) and chicken stock in lieu of water, season with salt and pepper to taste. We use local stone ground grits, but I suppose instant would also work.

Once grits have simmered down, add two eggs (beaten) and an assortment of cheese (we normally use a sharp cheddar or Monterey jack with a little gruyere, or whatever happens to be in the fridge). Stir to mix and pour into a baking dish. Top with fresh-grated Parmesan cheese for a golden crispy top. Bake at 350 for 30-45 mins, until golden brown.

You can bake it long enough to set up and serve it more like a grit cake, or serve it creamier - tastes great both ways.

caliking said:

Grits casserole sounds tasty.  How do you make it! 

• The sauces were a big hit with our friends. We're big vinegar sauce folks, but the mustard sauce is my favorite so I prepared both. I ran out of time before I could make a more traditional KC or Memphis sauce, but in the end it didn't matter - everybody was split down the middle between the vinegar and mustard.

I guess one advantage of being in a state that doesn't lay claim to any one particular style is having a wide variety of styles to try, and develop your preferences.

I'm digging the sauces. The best kind! My dad's family is from Lumberton, NC and I'm from Charleston, SC. I may be a little biased.

• great photos and kudos to good parents. Wonderful gift.