Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Never again Tuna Steak

Options
I don't know where to start... We picked up some tuna steaks yesterday, marinated and seared 'em for about 2 min on each side.  Off the grill, they were magazine quality appearance, but tasted like sheet!

Now, I've never cooked tuna steak, only ordered it at restaurants.  I must have gotten a couple of bad cuts.  Not sure what went wrong.  Anything else I cook on that egg comes out tasting fantastic.. Not this time. =(

Anyone else ever have a bad tuna steak off the egg?
CC, TX
1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I've only cooked one tuna steak in my life, so take my feedback with a grain of salt.  I did a sesame-seared tuna steak, cooked on a CI on a regular stove.  The tuna was from Whole Paycheck, and it was well worth it.  

I can't imagine the Egg by itself would ruin a tuna steak, unless it's possible for it to pick up way too much smoke.  My bet is you just got a bad fish.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    What kind of tuna steak was it? Was it sushi grade? The grade of tuna could well have made the difference.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    I'm with @JohnInCarolina.  I have cooked tuna and other fish steaks with no issues.  Depending on the thickness and cook temp they could have been cooked too long but I'm going with the poor quality cut to start with.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • margareedaville
    Options
    hapster said:
    What kind of tuna steak was it? Was it sushi grade? The grade of tuna could well have made the difference.
    It was yellow fin, from HEB seafood.  I think it was a bad cut.  Is it supposed to have a mild odor when raw?  These had one.  It wasn't fishy, more like mild pungent odor.
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    At worst it should have a fresh briny smell... Sounds like you got an off piece of fish
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    When I open a package from our fish market it smells like the sea. I think it was a bad piece of fish. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

A few questions: what did you marinate with? Any acid will cook the fish (think ceviche). Also, how thick were the steaks? I usually get almost 2" thick ahi tuna steaks from Costco, and even a minute per side is too long. Were they rare in the middle after cooking?

If they had an odor like you said, then it could have been a sub-optimal piece of fish to begin with.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Good piece of fish should not smell like anything but the ocean.  No fishy smell...that's bad!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA