Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time Ribs - still not sure how I will cook them, so many methods...but probably 3-1-1

Options
2»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Dayzed...I dont remove the membrane. I forgot once and it didn't make a difference. I do baby backs though.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    I really don't know of a good reason for removing the membrane. Someone probably told me that you had to do that years ago so I have always done it. The membrane would probably cook just as good as the rest of the slab does. I am going to try it one of these days. It is a pain to remove it.
    San Angelo, texas
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    I thought I read to remove the membrane so the rub could penetrate better?
    Nowhere Indiana
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I swear the first set of baby backs I cooked on the egg, I didn't take the membrane off, and it was a pain to chew through.  Since then I always take it off or just ask the butcher to do it.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I swear the first set of baby backs I cooked on the egg, I didn't take the membrane off, and it was a pain to chew through.  Since then I always take it off or just ask the butcher to do it.  
    I agree.  The membrane tastes bad and makes it tougher.  Removing the membrane only takes a minute or less per rack once you learn how to do it. Removing the membrane absolutely makes better ribs in my opinion.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    On baby backs I always do... I've been to several restaurants that don't on St Louis style.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I've never done competition only watched on tv but i have experimented. We've made ribs, a few racks cut into two or three bones and put 'em on for a 3-1-1 or 3-2-1 or one of them silly X-Y-Z cycles you read about. At regular intervals, say 1/2 hour, we've taken a sample off and and noted it's overall condition in terms of flavor, texture, etc. The juices in the early stages are more flavorful and the texture becomes less chewy with time and treatment. Once you do this the guessing is pretty much over and you can pick your sweet spot. I find all the work that goes with the X-Y-Z methods isn't worth the hassle for your in-home BBQ.  I've ended up in the turbo camp, never mind removing the membrane, too, it helps hold in juices and there's plenty of rub on the other side to flavor and most people use sauces we put out on the side. Also, move them around during the cook to avoid hot spots and edge burn. 2 - 3 hrs anywhere between 275 - 325F works very well with a 20 - 30 minute rest.