Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ham?

Options
I'm throwing a fresh ham on the egg in the morning for round 2 of Thanksgiving. Any tips on how to make it turn out perfect? I'm thinking 250 indirect, cooked much like a Boston butt. What temp should I cook a ham to?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Fresh ham? You mean a raw uncooked ham or a typical already cooked ham that merely needs to be reheated?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Raw, uncooked ham
    Athens, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Raw ham needs to be cured first.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Has it been cured? If so, cook to 155-160. If not, you have a pork roast that you should cook to 140.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:

actually it only needs to be cured if you want it to look and taste like ham. The cure makes it look and taste like ham but you can certainly cook it like any roast without curing it. If OP is looking for a holiday ham, he needs to go to the store and buy a precooked ham and reheat for tomorrow. you can jazz it up like richard's spiral cut ham if you want. We brined the ham we ate today for a week before smoking to get the traditional holiday ham flavor.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Seems I didnt prepare well for this. Rethinking that i might just smoke a turkey and fry another turkey tomorrow. This is a good-looking cut of meat that I don't want to ruin. Anyone have a good respurce on how to cure a holiday ham?
    Athens, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

DMW said:

actually it only needs to be cured if you want it to look and taste like ham. The cure makes it look and taste like ham but you can certainly cook it like any roast without curing it. If OP is looking for a holiday ham, he needs to go to the store and buy a precooked ham and reheat for tomorrow. you can jazz it up like richard's spiral cut ham if you want. We brined the ham we ate today for a week before smoking to get the traditional holiday ham flavor.

Right, should have been more clear. It won't be a "ham" that you would expect without a cure. No safety issues with just treating it like a roast.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Seems I didnt prepare well for this. Rethinking that i might just smoke a turkey and fry another turkey tomorrow. This is a good-looking cut of meat that I don't want to ruin. Anyone have a good respurce on how to cure a holiday ham?

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159003/american-style-brown-sugar-glazed-holiday-ham-from-charcuterie/p1
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options

Mayberry said:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159003/american-style-brown-sugar-glazed-holiday-ham-from-charcuterie/p1

+1 - That book is great! Lots of good ideas in there... :-)
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I changed course, cooked an extra turkey and saved the ham for brining. I trimmed the skin off and put the ham in the brine tonight for its 4 day bath. I'll remove on Thursday night or Friday morning, let it dry in the fridge overnight and put it on to smoke Saturday morning.
    Athens, GA
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Let us know how it goes... I am looking forward to trying that recipe for Christmas!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Mayberry said:

Book marked for Xmas. Thanks CenTex. 
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Hoov
    Options
    I did that ham recipe for thanksgiving and it was great. Family raved about it.
    - Norman, OK
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mayberry said:

Have you "cured" the turkey =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mayberry
    edited December 2013
    Options
    So, after five days in the brine, the ham is finally wet cured. Pulled it out of the brine tonight, washed it off, patted it dry and put in the fridge to dry overnight. Going on the Egg in the morning. I know to cook it at around 225 for a few hours and then glaze. But, from there, I've gotten conflicting opinions. Some say to remove from the Egg, tent and finish in the oven to not dry the ham out. Others say to just glaze abd return to the Egg. I want it to be moist and good. Thoughts?
    Athens, GA
  • Hoov
    Options
    I did the recipe that Cen-Tex posted for thanksgiving and it was great. It was my first ham cure/cook so nothing to compare it to. It was certainly better than store bought pre-cooked ham. I smoked it at 250 until I got to 130 IT and then removed it to glaze. Then back on the egg until 155 IT. I was paranoid about the glaze burning, but it was fine and I would probably glaze earlier next time so the glaze sets a bit more (it was still kinda sticky when I took the ham off). I reheated the next day and it was great. Hope this made sense, I'm tired.
    - Norman, OK