Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Funky smelling cryovac-ed pork

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    although in @lakewade's defense, we did actually get sick in Mexico at a place I chose and had to spend a still-unknown amount of days holed up in a very sketchy S. Padre Island super 8 about 20 years ago. (figured I had better beat him to the punch on this one, he's still mad).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Its true that a trip to the ER is more expensive than a batch of bad meat, but i was trying to approach this rationally. Had heard about cryovac funk, and figured that a solid hunk of meat was less likely to be tainted than ground meat. Ground meat I would have likely pitched. Also I read on Douglas Baldwin's site that pork chops like the ones I was cooking should be pasteurised in about 18mins at the temp I was cooking at. There were enough equations with an adequate number of coefficients, that i figured he knew what he was talking about. Our bodies mount a fever to fight pathogens and there must be an evolutionary reason why we max out at about 110°F (give or take a few degrees). So i figured things would be okay if the meat passed the whiff test down the road. 

About 8hrs and counting now. Passed the window for preformed toxins, coming up on the window for toxins made in vivo. Doing well so far, but some important lessons have been learned. C'est la vie. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Human noses have hard times telling the difference btw raspberries and strawberries, but can detect things bad for us in parts per million. That's why they make natural gas and Bradford Pears smell that way. I choose to not eat, but then again - I've had food poisoning...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Keep on keeping on Cali. If you keep the bacteria around, you get used to them. That's why I eat 2 week old leftovers.

Otherwise, I'll hook you up with some Xifaxan samples if you "travel" up to Maryland. I wonder how many will get that...
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    although in @lakewade's defense, we did actually get sick in Mexico at a place I chose and had to spend a still-unknown amount of days holed up in a very sketchy S. Padre Island super 8 about 20 years ago. (figured I had better beat him to the punch on this one, he's still mad).
    Yes and if memory serves those steaks at your "special place down in Mexico" there were stinky as hell and every bite we forced ourselves to eat was questionable.  Another set of quality decisions with you.

Back to the cryovac stink though - I understand that the sulfur smell that comes out of the packaging can be harmless if you wash the meat off and wait for it to go away, I just don't like it or trust it.  There are also people who say "meat is only spoiled when you can't physically put it in your mouth and eat it - that's how you know it is bad".  Just not how I want to cook if I can avoid it.  

I hate wasting money as much as the next guy so I'll take stuff back if it stinks.  Now if it's a life or death situation (similar to that time in Mexico), then I'll eat it too if it it's just stinky and not bad.  But I usually feel pretty safe standing around my Big Green Egg drinking a beer on nights and weekends so it hasn't come to that yet.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

22hrs and all is well. I think this storm has passed without making landfall.

I've had my fair share of gastroenteritis and dysentery, never from my own hand if I remember correctly. I will likely be more wary about such things if I ended up doing it to myself at some time.

@Eggcelsior - plenty of samples here :) . And dayum you like the spendy stuff! Flagyl usually does it for me.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.