Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love these new "make your own" spice grinders. Anyone have recipes to share?

Options

I love these new grinders....  Well maybe they arent new but I have only had mine for a year or so.  I use a

1p kosher salt

1p pepper corns

1/2p fresh dried oregano, red pepper flakes, dried garlic flakes

Adapted the recipe from carrabas grill spice blend.  Works great with pork, veal, lamb, and epecially poultry.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Is that electric? Can you adjust the grind?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Options
    Is that electric? Can you adjust the grind?

Manual and yes the grind is adjustible.
  • Big Ragu
    Options
    Am i alone on this grinder thing?  Thought the crew would have some input on these.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Have seen these, never used one. Currently use a Mr. Coffee spice/coffee grinder. Throw the stuff in and give it a buzz, shake and look through the top to see if the texture and granulation looks right, if not give it another buzz. 
    Have you used the small coffee grinders? How does the manual Rikon compare? 

This is the newer model of mine:

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I have a couple of grinders like that, but they are not adjustable. Not as useful as I had hoped.

Keep 'em around for when I want to grind whole spices like fennel, coriander, mustard seeds, etc.

The resulting grounds are somewhat more consistent than what I get from a cheap coffee grinder, and not the dust I get whenever I put stuff in the Blendtec.

Most of my attempts at making blends have been pretty hit or miss. But I like to at least have the option of fresh grinding.
  • Big Ragu
    Options
    coffee grinders? How does the manual Rikon compare?
    Works great, only caution is that the whole peppercorns will skirt away from the grinder blade.  To counter this I have found that pre-cracking the peppercorns helps ensure that the pepper gets into the mill at equal distribution.

Have seen these, never used one. Currently use a Mr. Coffee spice/coffee grinder. Throw the stuff in and give it a buzz, shake and look through the top to see if the texture and granulation looks right, if not give it another buzz. 

• Big Ragu
    Options
    The only issue I have had is with the peppercorns avoiding the grinder. I have been giving them a slight crack before I put the spices in the hopper.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Bought a couple when we lived in CA. Have one left that still functions. They were ok but I prefer the coffee grinder, better fine grind and easier to clean.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

I use a coffee grinder when I'm grinding up my cayenne peppers.

I can get them real fine that way.  Sure makes you sneeze a lot.......................

:-j
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon