Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help from y'all... Business lunch

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
I service around 400 restaurants but really only have 2 bosses. I'm serving bbq to about 8 folks Thursday at 11:30. Would like to do ribs and pulled pork. My ribs take around 3 hrs and a 4lb turbo butt around 4 hours. I'm figuring put the butt on at 5am...done by 9 with some extra time. Ribs on at 6.i have a large and little Ag. I'll do tailgate Taters in the oven and some slaw. Is 3 racks enough? Timing sound correct? I'd love to do the butt Wednesday night but rather have fresh.

Thanks. Important meal. Definitely want to impress.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Reading the above-ribs will go on the LBGE about an hour after your butt cook starts.  Your 3 hour rib (BB's, spares, St Louis?) cook is based on about the same temp as you will need for the 4lb/4 hr turbo butt??  If that assumption is good then you you will be FTC'ing the ribs (in addition to the pork) for a couple of hours-no issue with that.  Sounds like a good plan-and 3 racks should work (little less than half rack/person) given the remainder of the menu.  You know the crowd.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...eggsperts will be along shortly.  Good luck-you will pull it off in fine style.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    Both turbo. I'll rest easier knowing everything is done. St Louis... 2 wet and one dry. Will offer 3 sauces for the dry. Butt will be dizzy dust. Ribs with Head Country rub and sauce.. Dry with dizzy dust.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited July 2013
    Timing & quantities sound good to me. If you're worried about being done on time, cheat. Start a bit earlier & FTC. Spring for some "better than hipster" brew. You'll be great!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Sounds like a good plan to me.  I think 3 racks is plenty for 8 people especially since you will also have the butt and sides.  Good luck!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple

Timing & quantities sound good to me. If you're worried about being done on time, cheat. Start a bit earlier & FTC. Spring for some "better than hipster" brew. You'll be great!

No beer... Till i leave. It's the end of their fiscalyear... Always llike to stay on top. They give me a **** pot of work...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Good luck! 3 racks should be good with all the other items. +1 for starting early and FTC.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple said:
    No beer... Till i leave. It's the end of their fiscalyear... Always llike to stay on top. They give me a **** pot of work...
    An important business lunch with no alcohol whatsoever?  WTH!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2013
    My fuzzy friend. Are you saying 8 or 88 people? I am guessing 8 unless you are into the sauce.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    I think I would just lay up the ribs next to the butt and cook till each done putting on the ribs after the butt. that way all on the Egg.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    This has "disaster" written all over it, and you need to explain to SWMBO that a second Egg is the only way to ensure success on this very important cook.   B-)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• henapple
    Mickey.. I said 8...margarita lunch again? I have a 2nd kamado.. Little Ag. I might do a pre cook tomorrow. Split the rack and experiment. @mickey, yes I'm in the sauce... Day off.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited July 2013
    Sounds good @henapple. If you are doing 3 full racks of STL, that's plenty of meat. Plus the others.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I think you will have 8 happy people, drinks or no drinks. <:-P

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Hope it all goes well today!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Got nothing but faith in you @henapple.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Tony, you go girl =D>

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    I'd consider doing the ribs the night before and refrigerate unsauced. After butt comes off the egg you could FTC it and then when it's time bring the egg up to about 350°, reheat the ribs and sauce them.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • henapple
    @Parallel.. I like the sound of that but I've never done it before. Hate to experiment. Might try some tonight.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited July 2013
    I've done it, it works very well. Try some tonight so that you can be confident and I guarantee you it'll work very well and you'll have your solution. I've also put my butt back on the egg at 350° for just a few minutes after FTC just to get that crust back before serving. Hope this helps.

This is where I got the idea to do that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCeFRR1TZdQ

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • henapple
    I've about talked myself into a larger butt... Around 7lbs on an overnight cook. On @ 7...should be done by 9 at the latest. If i had to I could crutch it. Leaves only the ribs for Thursday morning.
  • henapple
    Ok. Did a rack of bb and St Louis style. Cut in half. One half of each... 1.5 hrs @ 300 dome. Foiled for a hour, sauced @ 30 min. one set only honey... The other half butter, b sugar, honey and more rub. Same with the bb. Head Country rub/sauce on the st Louis and dizzy dust, sticky Fingers original. Jacob likes sl comp style.. I liked just the honey. Baby backs... Liked the comp style...
  • henapple
    The concensus was baby back competition style... Lots of b sugar, butter and honey. St Louis just honey. First injected butt... Wicker's. The family said it was my best.
  • henapple
    So I fired up the butt yesterday around 6pm. 7.5 lbs so I figured at the latest it'd be fine by 7...el wrongo. 6am and the butt is STILL stalled at 165. Fired up Ag, crutched the butt and set her at 350. Started the 3 racks of ribs on henapple so hopefully I'm ok. Haven't cooked that many low and slow but I've never seen a stall si tough to push through. Fingers crossed.
  • You got this. There is always foil if you get in too tight of a bind. Wrap her up and push through the rest of the way. No flavor lost at all!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • henapple
    I wrapped it and now she's chugging along. Should be done in time for the turnip greens.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    You're on the home stretch at this point.  The prep is done and the eggs are doing the work from here on in.  Yeah, you have to pull the pork and glaze the ribs, but as long as you don't get distracted and overshoot this should turn out great.  Keep up the good work. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Nice work. Good luck with the bosses. I'm sure it will be fine. Then enjoy victory beer!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The Que force is strong within you.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Looks like they will be sending a lot more work your way!  Sounds sensational.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• henapple
    I've never seen a butt come out of the stall and finish so quickly. Ftc.. Serving in 3 hours so I'm good there. Wrapped the ribs and smoking the turnip greens. Ag really came in handy.