Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid Question

Options
I have never used a CI grid but I just saw on another thread that some people like their SS better. Why? Part 2 - if you could design your own width(thickness) of grid bars what would they be for searing? I have several pieces of SS and a WaterJet and seriously thinking bout making my own grid and prolly a Flat Top plate for my large.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I wouldn't make them too large - the food will cook faster like a skillet.  3/8" is a good size with maybe a half inch gap.
    Options
    That is about what I was thinking. Sear marks need to be pretty and effective!!

analyze adapt overcome

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    The idea of using a CI grid for searing is it's ability to remain hot to conduct the heat to the food product.  the cast iron grid has a top and botton -- mine is tapered to collect the heat on the bottom which is wider, and transmit it to the smaller surface -- the top.  You can get grill marks with anything, but i don't think as well as the CI.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Steel is a much better conductor of heat than stainless.  Doesn't matter anyway, because you can make the grate out of anything and the amount it sears is a function of thermal mass and temperature.  I'd rather have stainless or even carbon steel any day of the week than I would cast iron.  CI grates just don't last.
    Options
    Steel is a much better conductor of heat than stainless.  Doesn't matter anyway, because you can make the grate out of anything and the amount it sears is a function of thermal mass and temperature.  I'd rather have stainless or even carbon steel any day of the week than I would cast iron.  CI grates just don't last.
    I agree with Nola, for set it and forget it cooking CI is not the longest living item around. I've found if you scrape post cook and keep 'em oiled, they will last a long, long time. 
    @Charlie_tuna said it best, CI   does the best job of sear marks, if you want sear marks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I would like a happy medium between the 2. I'll admit it- I am lazy and don't wanna worry with maintaining a CI grid.
    I have access to steel as well. Do you think that would be better? Still got the maintenance part tho. IDK

analyze adapt overcome

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    If sear marks are LESS important to you than requiring you to run a wire brush across your Cast Iron grid before using it -- go stainless steel.  If you want a decent sear marked steak, then you will have to face the cost and maintainance of the CI grid.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    The only maintenance my CI grid gets is after I cook a butt and have to (kinda) scrape off the stuck bits. Never oil it, rarely brush it. Oh, and I use it for almost every cook.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Do you leave your CI in your egg or outside storage ?

analyze adapt overcome

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    I store mine outside the egg and in my egging area on my open porch, it flakes which is normal for cast iron, i don't oil it!  I scrape it down and then wire brush it.  it looks worse than it really is -- normal for cast iron..
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Usually in the egg, but I have been known to forget and leave it out in the rain. Or snow.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    By the way, I have three CI grids. I bought one with my egg in 2009. The first one cracked after 2-3 cooks. Warranty replacement. Same with the second one. They sent me a third, but I haven't used it. Afraid to!  :D The one I am using now has more cracks than it used to, but it's still quite usable.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut