Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Thoughts on Flank Steak?

I'm trying to re-create the fajitas done at Pappasito's, I'm almost certain they use flank steak versus skirt.  I'm putting my theory to the test this evening and cooking a 1.3 pound flank about 3/4 inches thick.  I'm looking to cook it medium.

What temp/time should I aim for?  Also, would you recommend raised grate direct, raised grate with CI griddle or lowered CI grate?
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Flank steak has to be cooked on the rare side and sliced thin.  I usually marinate it with a soy-pineapple type marinade, then cook it hot- and fast, on the rare side and serve it over yellow rice. 
  • they use flank. are you going to sear it in butter in a skillet after like they do? I would sear hot and lowered until like rare. Let rest, super hot skillet with onions and butter. this is if you are after Papasitios recipe
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 244
    edited June 2013
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I didn't see your suggestion of the butter skillet before my cook, so I now have and excuse to cook flank again tonight.  I forgot how much I like it, and it is so much better on the Egg than my Weber gasser.

http://eggheadforum.com/profile/41288/The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Flank steak has to be cooked on the rare side and sliced thin.  I usually marinate it with a soy-pineapple type marinade, then cook it hot- and fast, on the rare side and serve it over yellow rice. 
    I think I'm going to try it with the pineapple/soy marinade and finish it on the butter skillet like Cen-Tex suggested.  I'm thinking that should nail it down.  

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    they use flank. are you going to sear it in butter in a skillet after like they do? I would sear hot and lowered until like rare. Let rest, super hot skillet with onions and butter. this is if you are after Papasitios recipe

How hot would you sear it...like this?

imageimage 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Wow....looks great, @Richard_Fl.  I am eagerly awaiting Hatch season so I can roast my own again.  They didn't last me through the winter this year.

Great looking cook.

@Little_Steven - how long did you cook per side at that temp?  I noticed the hatched sear marks, so you were obviously turning as well.  

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Maybe 15 seconds, turn, flip and turn for a total of a minute. Be very careful at temps like this.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CaptainRedneckCaptainRedneck Posts: 6
    edited June 2013
    Here is the Pappasitos recipe I found on another forum a few months ago.  The person who posted it said they worked there a few years.  Just combine ingredients and put in zip lock bag to marinate.

1 cup pineaple juice (good stuff).
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    4 fresh squeezed limes
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro
    1 jalepono
    1/3 cup onions
    1/3 cup water.
    Cumin
    Salt
    Pepper

• fljoemonfljoemon Posts: 755

A Google search revealed this ....

Pappasito’s Fajita Steak Marinade

Ingredients:

1.75-2 lb flank steak

Marinade:

• 1 cup pineapple juice
    • 2/3 cup soy sauce
    • 1/3 cup water

1). Combine marinade ingredients with flank steak in a ziplock bag and allow to marinade for at LEAST 5-6 hours, but not overnight.

2). Preheat a grill over medium-high heat. Cook steak for 8-10 minutes on each side for medium to medium-well. Slice into thin strips and serve.

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL