Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When the wife's away....

J_Que
J_Que Posts: 223
edited March 2013 in Beef
My cousin, who is a huge steak and potatoes guy, is married to a vegetarian. (I know, I know...I don't understand it either.) Anytime she plans to go away he's instantly on the phone making reservations at a steak restaurant for the two of us.   So he calls me up the other night and says "The wife's away; let's get some steaks brother!" This time however, I convinced him to join me for an egg cook. Now he's not new to the egg, but he has never had a steak cooked on one. He says "You know I only get steak once or twice a year and I want to make it worth my wild." Way to heap on the pressure Cuz. I promise him a great meal and start trolling the forum for a good steak cook. I finally decide on flank cook.   The next day I purchase a really nice cut and marinate it over night with olive oil, garlic, shallots and rosemary. Take it out the following day, wipe off the excess marinade and fire up the egg. While I'm waiting, I start the potatoes and set up the greens for a quick steam. Once the egg was up to around 500, I slap that beautiful flank on to the hot egg and sear it till I get a 130 reading on the Therma. On a side note...Is there any better sound then hearing a juicy steak sizzle when you put it on the egg? Not for me! Anyway back to the cook. I pull the flank and let it rest while I finish up the potatoes and steam the green beans. After about 10 minutes I slice the flank on a nice bias, plate and pair it with a couple Victory Hopdevils.   The verdict? Well his wife already has a planned trip in Sept and he's made reservations for another egg cook.
I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975

Comments

• Nice. My wife went veggie for 10 years. I finally brought her back to the dark side about 4 years ago.  >:). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • J_Que
    How did you do it? I'll bet my cousin would be willing to pay a hefty consultants fee if your willing to travel north. :-)

• Let's just say she loves me for my brisket :)).

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Nice. My wife went veggie for 10 years. I finally brought her back to the dark side about 4 years ago.  >:). 

And the best avatar goes too...... CT!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I remember the days when the wife had to go away and we were out in the bars and peelers. Now we get excited about what we can cook. Oh the horror

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• It wasn't that bad but it was a pain sometimes. I bought my egg like 4 years in so she didn't eat any meat off my egg for years. She loved all the veggies and she did eat fish so she loved that too. I really learned to cook big time after I bought my egg so she had one bite and looked at me like "daaaayum, where did you learn to do that"? and she was hooked. 
  • J_Que
    It wasn't that bad but it was a pain sometimes. I bought my egg like 4 years in so she didn't eat any meat off my egg for years. She loved all the veggies and she did eat fish so she loved that too. I really learned to cook big time after I bought my egg so she had one bite and looked at me like "daaaayum, where did you learn to do that"? and she was hooked. 

I guess I'll just have to invite her over when he goes away.

• Chubbs said:
    Nice. My wife went veggie for 10 years. I finally brought her back to the dark side about 4 years ago.  >:). 
    And the best avatar goes too...... CT!
    60% of the time...it works every time :)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You're right... the sizzle of meat hitting a hot grid is music to my ears. Great cook.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    daaaayum, where did you learn to do that"? and she was hooked. 

got me 2 kids....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN