Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speaking of Smoke Rings

Options
Years ago I read someone's post that a smoke ring in meat is not really important to the flavor and texture of the meat. It's just pretty...

Someone else mentioned that if you want to create a smoke ring in a Big Green Egg, you can simply drop in a couple of charcoal briquettes. I never tried it because I don't have briquettes handy, but it would be fun to try.

And I also heard that if you chill the meat before putting on the Egg, it gives the meat more time to absorb the smoke before it gets too hot to absorb anymore smoke.

Those are just some of the memories from long ago posts and I'm still a bit confused. So I went looking for answers. I ended up with the best explanation by going to Thirdeye's Playing With Fire and Smoke site.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/smoke-rings.html

Take a look. I think you will enjoy knowing why and how smoke rings are important, or not important.

Spring "Smoke 'em If You've Got 'em" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Went to "Judge's Cooking School" a few months ago and this "smoke ring" thing was a major issue in that they DID NOT consider it for any part of the grade.  Basically saying, it had zero effect on the actual taste of the meat??
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great link, good info, now I know why I get a nice smoke ring. A number of years ago I was told to start slow and heat to target grid temp over an hour or so with cold meat.
    Pork loin is my favourite to get a smoke ring, because you can really see it and it looks wonderful. I stabilize my empty egg at 225 (or as low as I can get) then put the cold meat on the grid. I open things a nit and run to a target of 325-350 over the next hour or so. The smoke ring is pretty much a sure thing.
    If using a highly seasoned loin where I want a "candy" crust, I just start at 325-350.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Options
    Nice... I like to know the science behind cooking.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Thanks so much. Haven't been pleased that I don't get rings with turbo ribs, and now I know definitely why. No, they don't add to the taste, they only stoke the ego. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    Great post.  I will have to try a few of the examples he gave in his blog.  Thanks.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just did everything except the tenerquick on this brisket (with pics of how I did it) and zero smoke ring.I never get them unless I add 10+ good size chunks of wood. I've never gotten them with lump alone but I do get them with kingsford thrown in. Brisket was awesome but no smoke ring. oh well....... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149693/the-salado-brisket-numero-dos/p1
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    great article... thanks
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN