Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie first post... Lobster tails

Options
2»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Yeah...the Travis method thread has 1.2 million views.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Welcome from a fellow Okie egghead (Edmond here) 

Sounds like you are off and running! Good luck with your brisket, are you doing a flat or a full packer? 

Bad Byrons can be found easily in Oklahoma City and is my goto rub for awesome pulled pork, I use Cookshack Brisket Rub that they make in Ponca City for my briskets and have had great results. 

Let me know if your ever in the OKC area and want to get together for some BGE fun. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Nice looking lobby's you had there. Your going to love this thing called an EGG.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker advice. I had some of his brisket in Salado and it was the best I ever had. Good luck!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard-a game changer for sure.  Many on here willing to answer any questions you may think of-and the forum search function is very weak.  I have had success using google and adding "big green egg" to the query.  Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • okienine
    okienine Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks for all the welcomes and advice!  There is a wealth of knowledge here and from what I seen so far a great group of people!
    McAlester, Ok. Large and Mini Egg
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker .  Thanks for providing us with all of your brisket secrets! Just curious what you think of using the butcher paper to wrap the brisket a la Franklin?  Not necessary on the egg?  I thought about trying to get my hands on some of that reddish butcher paper. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I have the paper but I haven't found it's needed with the egg. Honestly, the trick is to wrap it AFTER the cook. he cooks at like 325 so he wraps when the bark starts to blacken to keep it from getting too burnt. But.....the paper really does it's magic during the rest period. If you go there, you'll see that he has 30-40 briskets all sitting out in paper for hours before he gets to most of them.I saw that and then I saw his video series on youtube (which sucked). But i did glean a tiny bit of information from it that I think is the key ingredient. If you watch it, he says to let it cool in the paper or on the counter until it's easy to handle with bare hands. I just thought that was to make it easier to handle but it's actually the secret (if you cook it right in the first place).

Think about cutting a pizza or a cake that is too hot. Even if they are cooked perfectly, they all fall apart if you don't wait until they are cool enough to cut. But after they cool a bit, it all comes together and the texture is perfect. It's the same with briskets. When they are too hot, the texture isn't right. When they have cooled enough to handle with your bare hands they are perfect. They will stay warm for hours in the paper or foil which is why he uses it. he's got a several hour window for service. My thought is that it would be similar even if you just set it on the cutting board for 45 minutes or so unwrapped to allow it to cool before slicing. I'll try that next time but I know 100% for sure that a long cooler rest in foil (or paper- I use foil because the paper leaks all over the towels) and then allowing to cool enough to where its easy to handle with bare hands gives it the "Franklin Wiggle" texture that eveybody is after.

phew. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Hey CT! Your avatar is hilarious! =))
    Flint, Michigan
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options

Welcome aboard. Nice looking Lobster tails. I do mine a little differently but with the egg there are so many ways to cook food there is no wrong or right just dam good eating.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Just trying to keep it fun Fred!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

I just noticed this too! Fantastic!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

I have the paper but I haven't found it's needed with the egg. Honestly, the trick is to wrap it AFTER the cook. he cooks at like 325 so he wraps when the bark starts to blacken to keep it from getting too burnt. But.....the paper really does it's magic during the rest period. If you go there, you'll see that he has 30-40 briskets all sitting out in paper for hours before he gets to most of them.I saw that and then I saw his video series on youtube (which sucked). But i did glean a tiny bit of information from it that I think is the key ingredient. If you watch it, he says to let it cool in the paper or on the counter until it's easy to handle with bare hands. I just thought that was to make it easier to handle but it's actually the secret (if you cook it right in the first place).

Think about cutting a pizza or a cake that is too hot. Even if they are cooked perfectly, they all fall apart if you don't wait until they are cool enough to cut. But after they cool a bit, it all comes together and the texture is perfect. It's the same with briskets. When they are too hot, the texture isn't right. When they have cooled enough to handle with your bare hands they are perfect. They will stay warm for hours in the paper or foil which is why he uses it. he's got a several hour window for service. My thought is that it would be similar even if you just set it on the cutting board for 45 minutes or so unwrapped to allow it to cool before slicing. I'll try that next time but I know 100% for sure that a long cooler rest in foil (or paper- I use foil because the paper leaks all over the towels) and then allowing to cool enough to where its easy to handle with bare hands gives it the "Franklin Wiggle" texture that eveybody is after.

phew. 

Thanks again CT for droppin knowledge!  Much appreciated! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

I just noticed this too! Fantastic!

Dirty Harry or Barney Fife?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Any time smokey. I'm getting censored again when I quote- ugh. Somebody call the forum police!
    Oh wait,that's me.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    How CT feels.....

What he really looks like....

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    God I wish it weren't so true....sigh.
  • RAC
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker - How do you prep your brisket? Do you put anything on it before the rub? Do you rub and sit overnight?

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Trim the fat to around 1/8" rub and go. No binder (mustard etc) and no sitting overnight.
  • RAC
    Options

Thanks

Ricky

Boerne, TX