Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

just a question

Options
This might sound crazy, but I was wondering if anyone has ever smoked crab legs? It sounds good but how would you do it? Also would any smoke get threw the shell? Just curious was thinking of trying it. 

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Most shellfish cook so fast, i don't think you can get any smoke taste in them before they would be overcooked.  And remember how mild tasting they are, the smoke taste may easily overpower the taste of the crab meat ..? 
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I have, numerous times. I soak in kosher salt water, and cut multiple slits in the shell. Get egg to about 300 and set it up for raised direct heat. Throw the legs in and cook for about 3 mins per side with whatever wood you like. I can taste smoke in them and so can my guests. There is not significant time for the smoke to overpower the meat, but enough to get a light taste. Do not overcook though, trial and error.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Are you thinking King crab or our local crabs? 
    King crab stands on its own, that's why I keep my gasser. Preferred cook for local crabs is usually to boil/steam them.
    If you try it let us know,  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    I am not sure what local crabs are, as a matter of fact, I think my cousin got them last night. However I cook king crab and only the good parts, (I have a butcher at sams club that will make a "custom bag" for me with only the forearms and no knuckles or any other part.) No snow crab here, only king.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I am not sure what local crabs are, as a matter of fact, I think my cousin got them last night.

=)) :)) =))
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• chris123stock
    Options
    Are you thinking King crab or our local crabs? 
    King crab stands on its own, that's why I keep my gasser. Preferred cook for local crabs is usually to boil/steam them.
    If you try it let us know,  
    I was thinking king legs, not local. Jot a real fan of Dungeness crab
  • chris123stock
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I am not sure what local crabs are, as a matter of fact, I think my cousin got them last night.
    I think those would be to hard to cook they fall through the grate. 
    =))

:)) :))
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    King and snow crabs are always fully cooked before freezing, so you're basically heating it up...no risk of undercooking somefin pre-cooked.

and jason - stop messin' around with your cousin! ;)
    Options
    Just a newb here and I know next to nothing about cold smoking and i've only seen pictres of cold smoke set-ups but could you cold smoke the crab then cook it normally?? Just my first thought!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just a newb here and I know next to nothing about cold smoking and i've only seen pictres of cold smoke set-ups but could you cold smoke the crab then cook it normally?? Just my first thought!
    Sure.  You can cold smoke anything.  Normal rules of food safety apply.