Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there a secret to getting a good smoke ring?

Options
2»

Comments

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER said:

We smoke with oak lump all the time and never have a problem getting a good smoke ring.image

Before coming here I always thought that was simply brisket cooked to medium well. #-o

I suppose you have to trim most all the fat cap off to get a smoke ring like that?
    Gittin' there...
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2013
    Options

We do trim the fat cap down to a 1/4",  but it is still there to help protect the flat from overcooking. 

As mentioned before, putting the meat on while still chilled is a key as well. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CT - it's probably because you cook them at 300F.  The fire isn't as "starved" for O2 as it is running really low like a incense burner.
    I've done them every which way you can do them. 300 with extra wood = huge smoke ring. 225 out of the freezer with meat at sub 40 degrees, with a few chunks of wood, no ring at all. I've posted that experiment on here somewhere.  I wonder if it's because the wood chunks have more moisture than the lump and moisture is a key component to a good smoke ring too. 

It's either the lump or the egg itself because it's a very common question on here. I've never even had an issue cooking with stick burners. Huge smoke rings without do anything. On my egg, if I don't add extra wood, I get no smoke ring.....ever.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

The Egg is our secret weapon, although we recognize that a brisket is a very tough cook. 

We cook with a couple of small chunks of wood, no big secrets here.

I think one of the problems an Egger has is trying to cook a brisket flat instead of a whole packer.  The smaller cut doesn't stay in the "magic temp" zone long enough to produce a nice smoke ring. JMHO

The smallest part of your flat has a great smoke ring and that part was the very first out of the magic temp zone. I've manipulated temps, I've added water pans to add moisture. I can get them any time I want them but I have to add more wood to make it work for me. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX