Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

free one

2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Yeti is overpriced and too heavy!

Do you have one on equal footing as the Yeti that is cheaper? Moeller Marine, Grizzly, NRS, Frigid Rigid, Engel, Icey-Tek are all in the same stratosphere of a price point.

I need one that can keep milk cold for up to 10 hours in 95+ heat during the summer. My wife and I want milk delivery but this is the only thing holding us back. The farm that delivers requires that we have a cooler and they delivery on Friday mornings only. It won't be accessed until after 6pm at the earliest.
  • Yeti is overpriced and too heavy!

It is expensive, but similar price as other high end coolers. I live in SC and pretty hard on coolers. I've gone 5 days in our summer heat with cooler on boat and island and still had ice. Our winter has been pretty warm. Super Bowl I put 24 pack beer and 30# of ice. 15 days later still had ice left. New Years I lifted cooler of fence and threw on ground (fence was locked, to lazy to go in and get key) and zero damage to cooler and no leaks. The weight is build quality. The cost pays for that.
    I'm not saying a Walmart igloo isn't perfect for your needs. But I have several other non-yeti coolers, each one marine grade, that in SC summer on my boat at the lake I'm lucky if last a day or so.
    It's cost effective for me. Maybe not for your needs.
    Boom
  • I'd distill a little bit of moonshine and use that barrel as God intended for the next 7 years. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Yeti is overpriced and too heavy!

Do you have one on equal footing as the Yeti that is cheaper? Moeller Marine, Grizzly, NRS, Frigid Rigid, Engel, Icey-Tek are all in the same stratosphere of a price point.

I need one that can keep milk cold for up to 10 hours in 95+ heat during the summer. My wife and I want milk delivery but this is the only thing holding us back. The farm that delivers requires that we have a cooler and they delivery on Friday mornings only. It won't be accessed until after 6pm at the earliest.

I'm not familiar with every cooler you listed but: icey-tek was bought out by Yeti several years ago. I looked long and hard at Engel bc they're a few dollars cheaper. Couple reasons I bought Yeti: 1) every cooler compares themselves to Yeti (thing BGE v other Kamado grills) 2) I felt build quality of Yeti was higher. Engel damn nice ice chest but the things Yeti does, assuming bc have patents, the small details just handling both in store I felt better about long term with Yeti.
    Mine goes in woods for 4-5 days hunting, to USC tailgates, camping trips, fishing. It gets dropped, used as fishing platform, left outside for days in heat, and it's a tank. I own 1 and plan to buy more. Just my $0.02
    Boom
  • I wanted to buy a full barrel of JD but at $9-12K that way more than I can handle and don't have enough people to even split with.
    Boom
  • Eggcelsior
    @FanOfFanboys - Thanks. I have looked around for nearly a year for one. I knew about the "Yeti vs everybody else" comparisons. I looked around at all top brands geared towards being out for days on end; I camp too. The Bear-proofness of the Yeti is appealing for that. I have watched "Marine-grade" coolers from Wally world and the like loose ice in a few hours
  • @FanOfFanboys - Thanks. I have looked around for nearly a year for one. I knew about the "Yeti vs everybody else" comparisons. I looked around at all top brands geared towards being out for days on end; I camp too. The Bear-proofness of the Yeti is appealing for that. I have watched "Marine-grade" coolers from Wally world and the like loose ice in a few hours

My experience with mine has convinced couple buddies to buy. While I'm not in a place with beers, and yeti was first but I think now engel is also bear proof, my best advice is 1) shop around. Just here in Columbia there is as much as $60 difference in exact same size yeti from one place to the next. 2) look on Craigslist. Can find good values 3) decide what size you really want. As you know from FTC space is enemy of cold/heat. Buy the smallest for your needs. I have a 50qt. I'm going to get a roadie series 20qt next and eventually will get the 105qt for longer hunt/fish trips. 90% the 50 works but sometimes way to big, and sometimes way to small. I fully expect to perform as good as it does not in 7-10 years or more with level of abuse I give. And I'm harder than most, tho not all.
    Boom
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    While I'm not in a place with beers....stay away from those places.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:

While I'm not in a place with beers....stay away from those places.

Ha! That was def supposed to be bears. I'm rarely in a place without beer.
    Boom
  • I LOVE my 2 yetis.  I have the 45 quart, and the roadie.  I use mine quite a bit on outings with Boy Scouts and on long road trips.  They are spendy, however I firmly believe that I will never have to buy another cooler.  I view yeti ownership as a quality vs quantity issue.  As with anything, some people may be perfectly happy with an igloo cooler, and that is great for them.  A yeti works for me and I would encourage anyone on the fence to go ahead make the purchase and don't look back.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Yeti is overpriced and too heavy!

I'm only posting on old threads now.  I'm going "retro".

To answer your question, I would look at a Pelican coolers.  They're better than Yeti in so many ways and a good 1/3 less.  Lifetime warranty.  I have the 45 qt, (really 49.5 qt) and I'm super happy with it.  I'd get into the geeky details but I'd put too many people asleep. 
    Wow, congrats on getting that barrel for free!

You know, I'm local in case you ever come across another one...
    ;)
  • Eggcelsior
    @nolaegghead

I would still like your opinion on the geeky details. I'll investigate myself.
  • nolaegghead
    There are some reviews online.  I've never had a Yeti but I can't imagine it better in any way from the Pelican.  Look a the Amazon reviews and web reviews.  Seems like a no-brainer - the Pelican is significantly less expensive and there are no cons other than its effin' huge and heavy.
  • There are some reviews online.  I've never had a Yeti but I can't imagine it better in any way from the Pelican.  Look a the Amazon reviews and web reviews.  Seems like a no-brainer - the Pelican is significantly less expensive and there are no cons other than its effin' huge and heavy.
    Pelican makes great products, and I am sure that they make a great cooler.  If you get one, please let us know how you like it.  
  • Eggcelsior
    There are some reviews online.  I've never had a Yeti but I can't imagine it better in any way from the Pelican.  Look a the Amazon reviews and web reviews.  Seems like a no-brainer - the Pelican is significantly less expensive and there are no cons other than its effin' huge and heavy.
    I want effin huge and heavy. I'm 6'5" and this beast will be sitting on the front porch in the sun, chained to the railing for milk delivery on Fridays. Then camping, beach and what not. Bringing shrimp back from Charleston is high on the list too. And probably dead bodies.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I want effin huge and heavy... woman or cooler?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My brother in law bought a Yeti when they first came out.  We used to fish on three day back country trips 38 miles into the Everglades.  Back where we could catch both fresh water fish and salt water fish at the same time!  Ice was a critical item.  I built my boat out of urithane foam compartments and they were sized to hold Igloo coolers.  So we actually had like a coller inside a cooler.  We used the Yeti on two trips and found very little difference in it's ability to hold ice.  Luckily, he talked to the shop where he bought it and they took it back.  They are built like a tank and seal very good, and if they held ice better than an Igloo, we would have replaced all the Igloos with Yeti's.  Last time i was in the shop where he bought it, they had them "on sale" because they were discontinuing them.  
  • Eggcelsior
    henapple said:
    I want effin huge and heavy... woman or cooler?
    Cooler. My wife carrys a gun. I won't venture a comment on that  ;)
  • nolaegghead
    Pelican makes great products, and I am sure that they make a great cooler.  If you get one, please let us know how you like it.  
    I did get one a few weeks ago... love it.  It's so well sealed it draws a vacuum when the lid is closed
  • My brother in law bought a Yeti when they first came out.  We used to fish on three day back country trips 38 miles into the Everglades.  Back where we could catch both fresh water fish and salt water fish at the same time!  Ice was a critical item.  I built my boat out of urithane foam compartments and they were sized to hold Igloo coolers.  So we actually had like a coller inside a cooler.  We used the Yeti on two trips and found very little difference in it's ability to hold ice.  Luckily, he talked to the shop where he bought it and they took it back.  They are built like a tank and seal very good, and if they held ice better than an Igloo, we would have replaced all the Igloos with Yeti's.  Last time i was in the shop where he bought it, they had them "on sale" because they were discontinuing them.  
    Did you pre cool the yeti before use?  They are (in my experience) very good at insulating.  Therefore if the yeti is warm when you put ice in it, your ice will not last long.  However, if you pre chill your yeti (I use 3 large frozen gatorade bottles filled with water), the ice retention lasts much longer.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    We carry five coolers, plus a food cooler.  And loaded them all at the same time, topped off, no pre-cooling.  The last day we opened the Yeti and the last Igloo to top off the fish cooler, and both trips they were neck and neck on meltdown.  We really herd such great things about the Yeti, we were considering changing all the coolers out, but there wasn't much difference comparing the Igloo.  Like i said, Ice(and beer) is our limiting item as far as the length of the trip, that was our concern.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I scored a free partial Jack barrel last week for my next Brisket

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    Saw this already. They like the Engel but I don't like the mousey dude on principle.