Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vinegar-Based BBQ Sauce

Options
Made an awesome vinegar-based BBQ sauce last week. It was the first time we did the vinegar based style, which was not nearly as thick, and much more to our likings. It was a combo of apple cider vinegar, tomatoe paste, garlic, brown sugar, red pepper, and creole mustard. Wife and I loved it so much we've been using it on everything now, even basic sandwiches.

Anyone have any other good vinegar-based BBQ sauce recipes out there they'd be willing to share?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I toss together one w. red wine vinegar, a bit of peanut oil, red pepper flakes, black pepper and yellow mustard. Maybe a bit of onion and garlic powder, but those are usually well represented in the rub, as is the sugar. Did know a fellow who used a bit of pineapple juice too. Not entirely to my liking, but lots of other folks went for it.
  • bsgator
    bsgator Posts: 30
    Options
    Can you share the recipe you used?
  • Biggins
    Biggins Posts: 16
    Options
    The one I used was:
    2 cups apple cider vinegar
    3 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup tomato paste
    2 tablespoons Creole mustard
    1/4 cup brown sugar

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool.

• Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    Options
    1 cup white vinegar
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon ketchup
    1 teaspoon crushed pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Put everything in a pint mason jar, put the lid on tight and shake well.

Really good on smoked pork. My 11 year old daughter says its her favorite.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I do a traditional eastern sauce. No ketchup for me. I would get excommunicated from my family in North Cacalacky.

1 cup w. vinegar
    1 cup AC vinegar
    1 tbsp salt
    1tbsp w sugar
    1 tbsp b. sugar
    cayanne to taste
    1 tbsp red pepper flakes
    pinch of white pepper

I bloom the red pepper flakes in a sauce pot then add all ingredients and heat on low. I cook it over an hour or so to allow the sauce to reduce. Then I stick it in a bottle and let it sit overnight.

There is a reason the sky is Carolina blue....
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    1 cup cider vinegar, 1 cup distilled white vinegar,1 tps hot sauce,2 tbs sugar, white 1tbs salt, 2 tps. Red pepper crushed,2 tps black pepper, I like gear so I float a habanero sliced in half if you don't like crushed red pepper you can use cayenne pepper powder instead if your doing a big pork butt just double or triple the recipe
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    We use a similar to @Eggcelsior eastern sauce, but add 1/2 cup ketchup or tomato sauce or even a mild BBQ sauce we want to use up. I think we call it Lexington-Style. Our favorite on pulled pork. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    We use a similar to @Eggcelsior eastern sauce, but add 1/2 cup ketchup or tomato sauce or even a mild BBQ sauce we want to use up. I think we call it Lexington-Style. Our favorite on pulled pork. 
    Yes. Lexington(western, Piedmont) has ketchup. My aunt would kill me if I tried to serve that. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Nothing better than vinegar sauce IMO
    Boom
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Guys all sounds very good and I like want to make some. The QUESTION: after makeing do you put in fridge or leave out and how long is it good for?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Guys all sounds very good and I like want to make some. The QUESTION: after makeing do you put in fridge or leave out and how long is it good for?

I put mine in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I put it in the fridge and leave it until it's gone. I still have some from last summer. I suppose the level of salt and acid keeps it relatively aseptic.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Any problem with the garlic that long?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Don't know. I don't add that to mine.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options

Mickey said:
    Any problem with the garlic that long?
    i believe that garlic in vinegar is good for 4 months in the fridge by the safety police, most of these recipes are heavily vinegar. with all the hysteria about storing it in oil ive never heard of it happening around me and i knew lots that kept it on the fridge, not in it and i bet some was there for years as you just added to it as needed, i know i did
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    Options
    Mine goes in the fridge right after I make it and usually make it the day before I want to use it. It gets better the longer it sits but with the ketchup in it, I don't let it sit more than a month.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Mickey - my limited experience with the ketchup as an ingredient sauce is that we make it when the butt comes out of the freezer so it is maybe 2-3 days old in the fridge when we use it. It may be around for a week or two max, then we make some more. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    Ours changes every time, but consists of most of the above ingredients to taste each time. I definitely love adding a few chipotles to the mix.