Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about the ceramics?

2»

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    amhobbs said:
    Don't get me wrong. I am all for competition however when you copy a product right down to the dimples on the surface and just change the colour , they weren't at all into innovation but rather into stealing market share from the people that came up with the idea in the first place. That kind of crap bugs the hell out of me. I came up with an idea to raise funds for our barbershop group a few years ago. I sold advertising in our upcoming show program to the local merchants. After doing this for 2 years, someone else decided to use my idea for their community group. They couldn't come up with their own ideas? That ended that form of fundraising. The merchants did not want to support it any longer.

Hinged grate, Locking cap, Better gasket, More versatile heat deflector. These are the changes and they have plenty of innovation look at the pro joe.
    Sounds like you better buy one fast before they are all gone!!!!  Go! Quick!! Now!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    for a few beans more i can sell you my version of an upgraded egg. temps up to 2000 c, can pressure cook your pastrami at 1500 psi in mere seconds, water cooled gasket can be replaced for cents on the dollar in less than a minute, quick fully locking closure with safety interlocking device to avoid flashbacks and opening under pressure

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    BGE will no longer slice off your finger when you open the bottom vent
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    for a few beans more i can sell you my version of an upgraded egg. temps up to 2000 c, can pressure cook your pastrami at 1500 psi in mere seconds, water cooled gasket can be replaced for cents on the dollar in less than a minute, quick fully locking closure with safety interlocking device to avoid flashbacks and opening under pressure

Looks like a bomb calorimeter.  You doing BTU testing on charcoal? 
    edited December 2012
    i never get to know the true use of some of these things, it was either to make replacement knee parts from  forging sinter alloy powders to shape, or a new type of hand-grenade made with heavey pellets lamenated between two layers of heavey foil.
    :))those were the stories i got anyways
    :))i hear my nuclear pastrami cooker is in china now
    :((
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • O.K You win! The Big Green Egg is also a knock-off. The patent that you so aptly pointed out to me was granted in 1964 to a Mr. Farhad Sazegar. Mr. Sazegar also ripped off the design from the Chinese who made these things during the Qin dynasty in 221 - 207 B.C. The shape was basically the same. In 1974, Ed Fisher opened up his first store front in Atlanta and sold kamado type cookers imported from Asia. These cookers would crumble and fall apart from over heating and exposure to the elements. By the time Mr. Sazegars patent had run out in 1978, the Big Green Egg company had researched and incorporated a ceramic that was originally developed by NASA. The Big Green Egg company at least was courteous enough to wait until the 1964 patent had run out before coming to market with their own. I can't say that I have ever heard of a Farhad Sazegar ceramic cooker. Have you??? Are you also sure that Ed Fisher  did not enter into some agreement with Mr. Sazegar to buy the patent or license the use of it??? HMMM??? Do you???
    Thanks for busting my chops Nola.    
    ^:)^

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• nolaegghead
    It doesn't even come down to who ripped off who.  Many concepts originated before patent offices.  There are design and functional patents.  I'm dedicated to brands if they deliver, and I love the BGE brand.  But I'm not a teenage girl about buying anything just because of the branding. 

I buy lots of tools, but I don't buy them because of the brand.  Most people that see all my Festool stuff have no idea what it is.  Isn't flashy looking but that stuff works better than anyone else's.  Build a better mouse trap and the pragmatic will line up to buy it (after building designer roads to your door). :D

No hard feelings, I just like to blast holes though the forum now and then. Cause it's fun.
    edited December 2012
    amhobbs said:
    Don't get me wrong. I am all for competition however when you copy a product right down to the dimples on the surface and just change the colour , they weren't at all into innovation but rather into stealing market share from the people that came up with the idea in the first place. That kind of crap bugs the hell out of me. I came up with an idea to raise funds for our barbershop group a few years ago. I sold advertising in our upcoming show program to the local merchants. After doing this for 2 years, someone else decided to use my idea for their community group. They couldn't come up with their own ideas? That ended that form of fundraising. The merchants did not want to support it any longer.

Hinged grate, Locking cap, Better gasket, More versatile heat deflector. These are the changes and they have plenty of innovation look at the pro joe.
    None of what you mention is innovative. They just copied other people's designs and and marketed it all in one product. The Pro Joe is an 8000 dollar Big Steel Keg. I am not criticizing them whatsoever. The made a "convenience package" Kamado cooker. One could take a BGE and buy a weber hinged grate, Grill Dome CI cap(or put felt around the BGE cap, like the KJ), Nomex or Rutland gasket and get a Woo from CGS and do the exact same thing(for much more money) that the KJ does.  

I'm not "bashing" you, but you are starting to sound like you work for them. 
    ;)
  • Not sure that it is a stainless steel cooker. It may be a stainless wrapped ceramic cooker. One of the big name stainless bbq companies made one a few years back. It was a primo round with a stainless skin. It was a thing of beauty but it went for 4K

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead

Not sure that it is a stainless steel cooker. It may be a stainless wrapped ceramic cooker. One of the big name stainless bbq companies made one a few years back. It was a primo round with a stainless skin. It was a thing of beauty but it went for 4K
    Kamado Joe Pro - $7500.  I'm not sure if that was the same one Viking used to sell or not.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    I think you're right.  It looked different.

• It doesn't even come down to who ripped off who.  Many concepts originated before patent offices.  There are design and functional patents.  I'm dedicated to brands if they deliver, and I love the BGE brand.  But I'm not a teenage girl about buying anything just because of the branding. 

I buy lots of tools, but I don't buy them because of the brand.  Most people that see all my Festool stuff have no idea what it is.  Isn't flashy looking but that stuff works better than anyone else's.  Build a better mouse trap and the pragmatic will line up to buy it (after building designer roads to your door). :D

No hard feelings, I just like to blast holes though the forum now and then. Cause it's fun.
    That's all that I was saying. The original (and let's face it, BGE is the original mass produced modern day ceramic cooker maker) is usually the best and all others that follow, are suckling on the rear udder so to speak. 
    No hard feelings here. I just hate when you make me do all that research. It interupted my drinking time. 
    :!!

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• nolaegghead
    hahah - try a long sippy straw or some food safe hose - type and drink multi-task.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited December 2012
    @amhobbs enjoy your KJ. No doubt you'll be happy.
    Boom
  • KJ is likes Bobs by Skechers and BGE is like Toms
    Boom
  • Both are great grills!!   I own a medium egg, however I'll be purchasing a Big Joe in a few days. 
  • @amhobbs - I hope you'll find our forum is big enough for those with KJ if thats what you end up with. Please bear in mind many people here have significant money tied up in our Eggs. We are proud & love our Eggs and hope you understand not many want to hear that KJ is better. I'm just sayin'.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Nola, the "NASA" component in the ceramic is a product called cordorite.  It was a component that was used in making the heat shield tiles dor the shuttles.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Nola, the "NASA" component in the ceramic is a product called cordorite.  It was a component that was used in making the heat shield tiles dor the shuttles.

not to be a grammar Nazi, but are you referring to Cordierite? which was used in the ceramics / glass that Corning used in making the tiles for NASA?

• nolaegghead
    probably