Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lets talk leftovers - Reheating/Storing

Options
2»

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I got many years before my kids move out so there will be no "cleaning out" the freezer.

I do HATE skinless chicken breasts.  Blah and no flavor unless buried under parmigiana cheese and tomato sauce.  Doesn't marinating them in a juice or other marinades just make them unhealthy with all the calories from that?  I do not see the point of eating the chicken breast then.  Making spatchcock chicken is good the day its cooked.  The next day I find it the same as a skinless breast of dried out blah.

I will look at food savers this weekend if I get time.  May have to wait a while until I get more money laying around. 

I'll look at those books nolaegghead.  I still need to learn how to make healthy sides that can cover up reheated foods I do not like.

My biggest issue is giving up pasta. That will be the hardest.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    robnybbq - My biggest issue is giving up pasta. That will be the hardest.

Ever Tried Spaghetti Squash as a replacement to pasta? It's really good as a healthy substitute.

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2012
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    The above was talking raw meat.

I have not tried the reheating the ziplock bag in water yet.  Microwave and stove top has made my leftovers blah unless its in a sauce/soup.  As for meat - if I do not eat it after I cook it I usually chuck the rest in the garbage the next day.  We also try not to make enough for leftovers due to not having the clue on how to reheat it.

I am in a bad mood.  The point is my health and what I need to do to get healthier.  I am taking my anger out on food and my Egg as I do not know where to begin.  Trust me - I had thoughts of smashing it since all the foods that I have cooked on it are unhealthy.  I need to learn how to cook on this with plain foods and not sauced foods.  No more butter, cheese, etc.  Plus trying to design a menu to use the Egg to make foods for the week and not having to use the egg during the week due to not enough time to use it after work at night.  I get that I can cook a piece of fish Frying pan on a stove can do it in 10 minutes compared to an hour on the Egg(Including start up).  I am not a fan of chicken.  A pork butt that is full of fat or ribs are not a good choice.  Was told to cut back on the carbs (not stop them) so that limits the veggies I like.  I do not like them and need to learn how to prepare them so they do not taste like grass.
    @doceggerton cooks awesome healthy food on his egg every day. He's lost weight and totally moved from pre-diabetic to a healthy range (if I remember the story right). He's not suffering with boring food! We'll get you through this.

I'll start (make this every week and I love it-as a matter of fact, I'm eating it as I type.):

Grill up some chicken breast or thighs (leftover spatch is awesome for this too). Get some good greens at your local. not iceberg, I'm talking spinach, arugula, kale or a good spring mix.

Pile the greens up high and cut up some tomatoes, olives, sundried tomatoes and a little feta. put the grilled chicken on top and drizzle a little olive oil and vinegar (use Newman's Own Oilve Oil and Vinegar until you learn to make your own)

It's freaking awesome and I eat it at least twice a week for lunch when I'm not travelling. I crave it. I was not a big veggie or fish guy until later in life so it can be learned. Now I love them and pile them on at every meal.

I actually started writing this yesterday and had to get some work done before finishing. So I had another one for lunch today! It's awesome. I did a brined turkey breast and 6 brined boneless skinless breast over apple today. So freaking good and my fridge if full of awesome healthy food that I love to eat. And I got to egg it all. 

Reach out to doc and he can show you how it's done. he did it right here before our eyes and posted his progress. It was awesome to hear about. And to see- his food is great.

Another great tip- drink a fruit smoothie with vanilla protein powder every day of the week for breakfast. Just count on that being your breakfast 5 days a week. I love them and they give you tons of energy and i'm totally full until lunch.

then splurge a little on the weekends

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just try a couple of thighs before you turn away from chicken completely. 

Amen. And brine a few breasts before walking away from the yard bird. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • robnybbq
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I'll look into it.  Got a stress test later this week followed by the dreaded blood test.  Going to be FUN!  I do not get the healthy eating with fatty foods but will have to figure that out I guess.

I am going to try to cook a pork loin tonight if I get home in time.  Olive oil and rosemary - maybe a touch of butt rub.   It is pretty big for all of us and we would probably have to eat it all week to finish it.  I am going to plan on getting the egg up to 400 then cook the pork direct for a few minutes on each side.  Then I will throw in the indirect piece (Pease do not smoke up the world as its still full of grease, etc).  Will put the pork right back on until it hits 140.  Will have a couple of slices tonight but what do I do with the rest.  Keep it whole and put it a zip lock and pray it stays good?  Slice it up and zip lock individual pieces?  Freeze some in zip locks?  How can I reheat that "GOOD" tomorrow night and Wednesday night and Thursday night? (Going to hate pork by the end of the week).

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Well did not get home in time to use he Egg.  Will try and freeze the pork loin in the wrapper it came in from the super market and hope for the best in a few months. 

Going to shut the egg down for a while as the cold weather is here and limited daylight and time is not allowing for me to use it.  I am going to clean out the egg this weekend when I find time and cover it up for the winter.

Garnerville, NY
  • Stargaze
    Options
    I've become a huge fan of the foodsaver gadgets out there.  Get on Amazon and get yerself one.