Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatch vs fried vs roasted in oven

Has anyone compared all these methods for turkey? I'm trying to decide how to prepare TG Turkey. What's the most flavorful way? I do not want a smoked one on the egg, so not considering egg unless spatch.
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• I live up in Canada, so our Thanksgiving was last month.  I followed Alton Brown's Good Eats recipe to prep the bird, but cooked it on the Egg at 350 indirect, start to finish.  Place the turkey on the grid with an aluminum pan beneath it on the plate setter to catch any drippings.  Made a stock earlier with the innards and used the drippings to make the gravy.  Best bird ever!  Cooked much faster than I had expected, I think an hour earlier if I remember correctly.  I let it rest a full hour before carving, in a covered roasting pan.
  • I have done oven, fried and spatchcock.  I did my first spatchcock last year.  I will be doing it again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • I've done all three and spatch is my preference, and I'll roast a couple thighs along with the backbone in the oven for gravy and to get the roasted turkey smell in the house..
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited November 2012
    Past 6 thanksgivings turkey has been cooked on egg. With four cooks in the kitchen it gets noisy and crowded. Tending the egg is my escape to silence. I mostly cook turkey vertical but this year I may do the cook in a roasting pan
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Love the fried turkey. It is an event!
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    What is the "OV-EN" of which you speak?   Seriously though...even if you want to just roast it...roast it on the egg.  Just cook at higher temps (325-350) and don't add wood using the same method you would in your oven. 

That being said, spatch is still my preference.  The only problem with spatch is you can't do as big of a bird because it is all splayed out.  If I smaller bird will suit your needs I would go spatch. I'm sure fried is great as well...to be honest I have not tried it.  Maybe try two smaller birds- one spatch and one fried? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    We do one oven baked and two fired turkeys down at the ranch. The fried ones always disappear first, but Mrs. G's Mom insists on doing one in the oven. I thought about taking the large down with us this year and doing an oven baked, a fried and a smoked, but with all the stuff we have to pack for a week and two dogs and guns, there just isn't enough room. (But the MINI is going ;) )

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Turkey parts on the mini is good eats ;)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Do one of each if you can and everybody can decide which they like best.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Griffin
    Turkey parts on the mini is good eats ;)

I can never find turkey parts. ONly whole turkeys. :(

Rowlett, Texas

• I will do a test on egg sunday and decide...that's what I really want-to use my egg!!!!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Griffin said:

Griff,

You guys get turkeys so cheap, why not get an extra one, cut the back out, take the wings, legs and thighs off and use the neck? Save the breast for another cook?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin said:

Griffin, what no knife no freezer? Chop shop a full bird and use the parts as appropriate...
    Us Cunucks drool at the price of US poultry, about 1/2 of what we pay. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    I have fried.  Oven roasted.  Slow smoked (offset, not egg).  Never spatched a turkey.  Many a chicken, though.  Oven is rock bottom on the list.  It's good, traditional, fool proof, and bland over boring.  I love a great fried turkey, injected with a nice cajun marinade.  But, a turkey on the egg - spatched or roasted indirect with a nice light wood, would be the way to go. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Just to change it up-check out Mad Max's recipe on the The Naked Whiz site for one more variable-but to your original inquiry-from my experience spatch wins-although I have been cooking the T'day turkey on some sort of outside cooker for 30+ years (yes, many laps of the sun).  The 'ol Weber kettle charcoal set-up would beat the fried version which always topped the inside fire-box.  That said, the level of effort for preps could have contributed to the outcome as I did not cook the oven or fried birds.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin said:

Griffin, what no knife no freezer? Chop shop a full bird and use the parts as appropriate...
    Us Cunucks drool at the price of US poultry, about 1/2 of what we pay. 
    Most of the turkeys I see are already frozen. Isn't it bad to thaw it out, chop it up and refreeze?

Rowlett, Texas

• Comments based on looking at the USDA food safety site. As long as it was handled safely, and not left out of the fridge for more that two hours (not more than 40 degrees, or possibly still has some ice crystals), it is OK to re-freeze.  The quality may suffer some however. In other words, keep it cold and re-freeze it right away.
    LBGE