Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Knives

Options
JeffM
JeffM Posts: 103
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to get a nice set of steak knives.  Where to start?

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Remember you are cutting on a plate and not a cutting board, so serated is better than straight edge. I'm a Wustof fan, however most of the steaks I cook on the Egg need only a fork, or at most a butter knife to cut. Shun also makes some nice steak knives, and if money is no object, check out William Henry Knives out of Oregon.
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Tjcoley money is no object for me. I don't happen to have any
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2012
    Options

Not necessarily

Picked up a nice Shun 4 piece SS nonserrated steak knife set with box for $150 on woot several years ago.  Plates are acacia wood. 

More of a wow factor than anything, guests appreciate using Japanese steel when introduced.  And I can easily bring them back to sharper than new with Chosera stones on the Apex.

On a regular plate, it's a waste, Chicago Cutlery would suffice.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Focker - gotta love woot!

We have a Wustof set that's nice - full tang, holds an edge well, reasonable price.  Shun is definitely more blingy.

Keeping your knives sharp, regardless of what brand, is the most impressive feature of any steak knife.
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Well we all know the steak knife supplied by restaurants doesn't cut worth crap, and our pocket knife is much sharper. But ceramic plate is bad news for steel and most knives with curved belly will be blunted quick sharpest steak knives.

Does anyone have good experience with pocket knives that works well as steak knife? Preferably under $60 and plain edge. I'm thinking it'll have to be wharncliffe or tanto point, so there's only one small part of blade contact the plate, to serve as sacrificial point and preserve the rest of the edge.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Good steaks don’t need Knives 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    I'm starting to see some similarities on some linked sites....

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    If they haven't been purchased by now...dang near 9+ years on then the desire may have been vanquished.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Oh, boy...like a broken record from maybe 20 years ago...I'd rather spend some money for better quality steaks so I don't need to buy a steak knife which is advertised to cut through a piece of hemp rope! Just sayin...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    If they haven't been purchased by now...dang near 9+ years 
    All good things comes to those that wait  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    SGH said:
    lousubcap said:
    If they haven't been purchased by now...dang near 9+ years 
    All good things comes to those that wait  =)
    In the “ end” 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian