Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A new take on grilled pork chops

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,428
edited October 2012 in Pork
One of the articles in this month's Cook's Illustrated had them trying to get a good browning on a porkchop without drying it out.  Their final technique was unique so I tried it this afternoon.  
Mix up a baste of:
1 Tbspn vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp honey
1 tsp anchovy paste
1/2 tsp black pepper
Brine the pork chops for 1/2 hour at room temperature, rinse and dry them thoroughly, then paint the top of each chop with the baste.  Throw them on a hot grill, basted side down, and then baste the upper surface, flip after 4-6 minutes, and finish.
Despite my overshooting the temp a bit (150 vs 140, I can't get 1" chops around here) they were beautifully browned and as juicy as could be.  Couldn't detect the honey or fish taste at all, the combo just gives a great browning quickly.  
For me, this one's a keeper!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• I saw that article and I want to try that, but I've been tied up the past couple of weekends nad will be the next couple.  Thanks for the reminder!  Anchovy paste & honey blows my mind!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    This is book-marked.

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've got to try this one.  No surprise on the flavor or browning.  Anchovy = umami, the fifth human taste (savory).  The sugar in the honey helps with browning.  I use honey in a london broil marinade and always end up with a great bark cooking it for a short time.  We need pics next time.  
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Tjcoley said: We need pics next time.  
    I'm usually pretty good with that, but my mouth was watering too much, completely forgot.  Got one more chop left for tomorrow night, I'll try to snap a pic.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Must try this, I will have to sneak it in as my wife will not touch anything with fish (even little ones)
    I even have to hide the anchovy paste. 
    Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Must try this, I will have to sneak it in as my wife will not touch anything with fish (even little ones)
    I even have to hide the anchovy paste. 
    Thanks!
    Same here for anchovies, sardines, fish sauce, etc.  She'll eat fresh fish though.  I keep telling her Worcestershire sauce is made with anchovies and she likes that.... can't figure it out.