Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feel like sharing

U_tarded
U_tarded Posts: 2,042
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I haven't contributed anything since I smoked my Mac and cheese but tonight I feel like sharing. Got 2 prime boneless ribeyes from Costco and left them on the counter for 2 hours to warm up. Standard trex with a cheap grid from a portable grill right down on the coal. Heavy dosing of kosher salt before the sear. 2 minute sear dome open (45 degree turn at 1 min to give cross hatches). Pulled and rested for 45 mins. i coated lighty with pepper, garlic and a few dashes of worcheshire on each side during the rest. threw down an oak chunk and roasted about 4 mins a side raised grid 300 dome until 128 internal. After the flip I like to toss a small pad of butter it gives a nice color. Served simply with steamed green beans and Sam Adams imperial stout. Beer has a nice coffee smokey flavor to go with the steak.

Nicely marbled steaks my wife hates it cause I pick through all the packets to find the best one. These were about and inch and 1/4 thick.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Nice hot fire

Post sear I really need to buy a cast iron grid

Roasting with some yummy butter

Final product

Sorry no cut pictures once I cut into it I only came up to breath like 2 times.
It was delicious and my wife says they get better every time. We eat this about once a week if not more it is definitely a household favorite and it is all due to the great help I have gotten from this forum.

Comments

• copy the HTML image on your photbucket and past in the comment box. They will attach where your cursor is. You are copying the IMG file and that is no bueno for what you are trying to do
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • U_tarded
    Thank you good sir. Edited and corrected. I am in a semi beer/steak coma and I guess not thinking clearly.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Very nice. Love cooking steaks on a grid just above the coals. I like the butter finish. I've done that in the past with filet, and need to start using with other steaks.
    edited October 2012
    I think next time I am rolling bachelor I am going to go straight caveman, the wife isn't too hip on the idea. I love how it gets the fats broke down without overcooking down that low. Black and blue filets have become my go to since I got the egg.
  • dude- awesome. wow.
  • U_tarded

dude- awesome. wow.

Not to sound like a creep but I respect everything you do. When I joined and did my first egg brisket I read all your posts. You do some amazing cooks my next toy is going to be a sous vide mostly from seeing pics of your short ribs and steaks has me sold.
  • U_tarded said:
    dude- awesome. wow.
    Not to sound like a creep but I respect everything you do. When I joined and did my first egg brisket I read all your posts. You do some amazing cooks my next toy is going to be a sous vide mostly from seeing pics of your short ribs and steaks has me sold.

I think you sound like a perfectly smart and sane individual :) If you only knew...............:))
  • "Pulled and rested for 45 mins" ???? And then back on?
    Not being rude but just want to know why you do it this way.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I also noticed your grid directly on the coals. I haven't tried that. How do you do your filets? I'm having some tonight.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Pick up some goat butter.  A dab of it on a steak post sear is an exotic addition.
    "Pulled and rested for 45 mins" ???? And then back on? Not being rude but just want to know why you do it this way.

He was using the Trex method where you sear at a very high temp (don't think he said what his temp was) then you pull it off and wait for the egg to cool down to roast it. I believe he cooled it down to 300F. It takes awhile to bring an Egg down from 700+ (using that as an example) to 300. I'm guessing his took 45 minutes to cool down.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Griffin said:

"Pulled and rested for 45 mins" ???? And then back on? Not being rude but just want to know why you do it this way.
    He was using the Trex method where you sear at a very high temp (don't think he said what his temp was) then you pull it off and wait for the egg to cool down to roast it. I believe he cooled it down to 300F. It takes awhile to bring an Egg down from 700+ (using that as an example) to 300. I'm guessing his took 45 minutes to cool down.

Is this a reason one would want two eggs?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• nolaegghead
    Eggs heat up fast, but cool down slow.  You can do a reverse sear, where you grill it to about 10 degrees or so below your final temp, then take it off, crank up the heat and sear at the end.
    @r270ba - I could see where two eggs would come in handy in that situation. I think people like having multiple eggs say if you've got a low an slow going on one (brisket/butt/ribs), you can use the other one for a cook with a different temp. Maybe you got burgers and dogs on the other one, or pizza, or dessert. Just allows for more flexibility. Someday (hopefully soon) I'll have a second egg....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    I don't know if I'd crank up two eggs, one to grill, the other to sear, unless I was cooking steaks for a lot of people.
    I can already see wanting a small.. If it's good, more must be better.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Nola,

That is one of the great things about the mini. Handful of lump and it's to temp in a couple of minutes

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    +1 on Cen-tex smoker being a big help for us new guys.  Also a +1 to Griffin and nolaeegghead.  Im a much better cook thanks to you three and many others here.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • nolaegghead
    I'm definitely gong to get a second egg.  Was thinking about a small or medium though.   Does seem a shame to fire up the large just to do a couple of lil' steaks.
    Love love my mini!   From lighting to cooking in about ten minutes using royal oak.  This next week i am trying my first low and slo on the mini with a party Q for a 4.5# pork butt.  i'll post pics if edible.  ;)
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • I have been cooking for 5 every night for the last while but #3 son is moving out this weekend. Before he moved back in I was using the mini most weeknights. For the second one I think it's a tougher decision than the first. Once you get to eight its a no brainer.
  • U_tarded
    Griffin said:

Yes trex, I sear dome open and don't close it until I am done searing, it cools down in about 20 mins but I waited longer to time my meal, to when we wanted to eat and also to enjoy more premeal cocktails. I don't measure temp when you are that close to the lump it is super hot well over 700 in full flame. By keeping the dome open it doesn't heat that ceramic so you have less to cool less thermal mass.

Also I believe I read this from stike but the extended rest adds to tenderness by letting the muscle (steak) relax from the high heat so I basically use 45 mins as my guideline. The muscle contracts greatly (thinking a hard workout and your muscles are tight) then you rest and everything loosens up. similar o the final rest before cutting so that the juices resistribute through the meat. Plenty of time to cook any sides during that period as well.