Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Method Help

friscoag
friscoag Posts: 97
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Alright fellas, I need some help with Pizzas.  I've only tried them <5 times because I always get frustrated.  I'm not doing something right, so I need some help from beginning to end.

What I did
-Heated egg to about 500 let the stone heat for 30 minutes or so. (Legs down, stone on ceramic feet)
-Crust (Here is an issue) - Wife likes thin crust so she rolls it pretty thin, making it hard to get on the pizza peel from the cutting board then onto stone. Is the solution thicker crust to make it easier to handle?
-Pizza Sticking to Stone (I googled afterwards and read to put corn meal on the stone?)

My biggest issue is getting the Pizza from the kitchen onto the Egg, then back off of it.  (I have one of the BGE Pizza Peels)

The taste was fine once we got them done last night, but they weren't very crispy or how they should be.

Help please! Thanks!

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited September 2012
    We normally do big pizza parties, last sunday I did 13 pizzas on a LBGE 

I use a Super Peel to get it from the kitchen to the egg and have no issue with sticking or anything. I love it. 

For the pizza sticking to the stone we usually turn it with a stainless peel every 3-4 minutes until the cheese is bubbling. 

Do you use the green ceramic feet or some sort of spacer to get some air between the plate setter and the stone? 

The dough I used is in my post. I am not a pizza expert by any means but have had good turnouts with cooking multiple pizzas over a 2+ hour time period. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • We used one out of a can to be honest (like a biscuit can).  It was thing and I couldn't slide my pizza peel under it without it grabbing and ripping it.  Yes the stone was raised on feet, just like your picture.

Everything was melted and done in less than 5 minutes. Don't see really enough time to turn, plus getting the peel under the pizza is the frustrating part.

• parchment paper works great for a speedy accurate transfer, let it go for a minute or 2, than pull the paper out

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I would try to find a grocery store that has dough balls you can buy or goto your favorite pizza place and ask if you can buy some skins from them. I think it will make most of your problems disappear..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I make my dough with a food processor and always had good results... http://www.food.com/recipe/cuisinart-food-processor-pizza-dough-352152

Also put corn meal on the pizza peel, then put on the rolled out dough, then top with toppings, slide it on the baking stone.. I take it off with a large spatula and push it on a large cookie sheet.. Hope this helps...

• I'm no expert, but I try to use semolina flour instead of corn meal.  I've used both and cornmeal just seems to burn easier and create a burnt taste on the pizza.  Neither stick, but the semolina flour seems to taste better.  Maybe try sprinklong some semolina flour on your peel and on your stone.

Also, I've heard you're not supposed to "roll" the dough, you're supposed to work it by hand.  Something about rolling out all the air bubbles in the dough... 

Hope these help.

Jeff

• Use parchment paper, put the dough on it and work it some more into a circle. Trim the paper around the dough w/scissors so it won't hang over and catch fire. When you have all your toppings on, and the egg is at the temp you want, slide your peel under the parchment paper and carry out to the egg. Slide it onto the stone, paper and all. Give it about 3 minutes, then simply grab a piece of the paper and quickly slide out from under crust. Perfect way to do it, easy, no mess, no sticking.
  • I am by no means an expert, but it sounds to me like your crust may be to thin.  I work the dough by hand to get it to the shape I want, spread a generous amount of corn meal on the peel, then I pick up the dough and place it on the peel.  

If your dough is to thin to pick up and transfer to the peel follow the suggestions for using the parchment paper.  Good Luck!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I use the parchment paper trick as well. I know of the dough you speak, but have never used it before. Did the can say to cook it at 500? Might check the instructions on the can and go with what they recommend next time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    I use this:  http://www.superpeel.com/

and am very satisfied w/ it!!  It works "Egg-zactly" as advertised!!  BTW, if you are handy and have a router, you can make your own.  Once I got mine, I was surprised just how simple the design was - sort of a "why didn't I think of that" kind of thing.

I also put corn meal on the stone, and it works well.  I do not use any type of parchment paper or anything.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I've seen the canned dough used in oven pizza and know it is a very sticky product - more so than most homemade doughs.

I also recommend using parchment paper.

The other issue to think about is too much toppings - a particular fault of mine. Heavy toppings on a thin crust will cause problems no matter how much semolina or cornmeal you use.

• I too use parchment, but that adds little to the conversation.  I also had a BGE peel, which I decided is too small.

I got a really large one here http://www.amnow.com/   .

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I had that trouble the first couple of times with the pizza sticking to the peel. Now I make sure that I really flour up the peel, and the most important thing is--do not assemble or sauce the pizza until you are actually ready to put it in the egg. Once you sauce it and let it sit for 10 minutes or so, it just seems to moisten up that flour between the dough and the peel and it sticks. Haven't had trouble since I've stopped "pre-assembling" the pizza. I haven't tried cornmeal again since I've run out, but I'll give it another shot. It does burn easily.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Use parchment paper, put the dough on it and work it some more into a circle. Trim the paper around the dough w/scissors so it won't hang over and catch fire. When you have all your toppings on, and the egg is at the temp you want, slide your peel under the parchment paper and carry out to the egg. Slide it onto the stone, paper and all. Give it about 3 minutes, then simply grab a piece of the paper and quickly slide out from under crust. Perfect way to do it, easy, no mess, no sticking.
    Nothing to add, but +1 on parchment paper (cheap solution).
  • seems easy enough.  Thanks!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Don't have a Super Peel, but will have one soon.  I use a regular large peel with a "little" corn meal and flour.  Then I roll out the dough on the peel and assemble the pizza on the peel.  After every step, I shake the peel and that moves the dough a little.  Sauce, shake, cheese, shake, sausage, shake.  Then straight to BGE with a little shake before transferring to the stone. Just a little practice and you won't have any problem.
  • You can always pre cook the dough.  throw it on the PS for about 45 seconds on each side then assemble the pizza.no corn meal needed
  • I think the dough in the can, the Pillsbury variety anyway, does not use yeast for the rise but baking powder or soda so the crust will never be like what you get from a pizza shop.

Gerhard
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    +1 for the parchment paper. Like Doc I trim to just a little bigger then the dough and pull it after about 2 minutes. I made some cheap a$$ peels out of some 1/4" plywood I had laying around as a temporary solution the first time I made pizza's about 5 years and still use them. I keep meaning to either make or buy better ones someday.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2012
    xraypat23 said:
    parchment paper works great for a speedy accurate transfer, let it go for a minute or 2, than pull the paper out

This is the answer until you get the hang of it. Build the pizza on parchment (a little bigger than the pizza, on the peel. Slide the paper and pizza off the peel onto the hot stone, if it is too hot, wipe with a damp cloth, no cornmeal needed. I give it al least 4 to 5 minutes, then, grab the paper and rotate the pizza 180 degrees and then pull the paper out. The crust will be set enough all you have to do is hold the pie with a set of tongs or whatever and pull the paper out. Pizza nirvana.... The pizza crusts out of a can are made to be cooked at lower temps, so keep you temp down, like you would in your oven.
    I don't use a peel I use an aluminum baking sheet that has edges on only 3 sides, no handle to get in the way, easy to maneuver. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NT
    xraypat23 said:
    parchment paper works great for a speedy accurate transfer, let it go for a minute or 2, than pull the paper out

This is the answer until you get the hang of it. Build the pizza on parchment on the peel. Slide the paper and pizza off the peel onto the hot stone, if it is too hot, wipe with a damp cloth, no cornmeal needed. I give it al least 4 to 5 minutes, then, grab the paper and rotate the pizza 180 degrees and then pull the paper out. The crust will be set enough all you have to do is hold the pie with a set of tongs or whatever and pull the paper out. Pizza nirvana.... The pizza crusts out of a can are made to be cooked at lower temps, so keep you temp down, like you would in your oven.
    +1 especially about not going too hot on prepared dough.  That appears to be a common mistake.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited September 2012
    I made this little video last year of my pizza cook.  I build it right on the parchment on the peel, once I get going the pizza takes about 7 minutes to cook and I can get the next one ready in about five so have about a 2 minute break between pizzas.  The most we have made at one go is 6 pies in 45 or 50 minutes.  In the video I say 12 minute bake but I must have increased the temp over the course of the last year.

Gerhard

• gerhardk said:
    I made this little video last year of my pizza cook. 
    Cool.  The only thing I would add is trying to raise the stone in the dome.  I really believe it makes a difference.  Here's my rig.

• + a whole bunch on the  http://www.superpeel.com/  Makes short work out of the stickiest dough, plus it is a cool tool! Great fun to use!
  • the reason I go with parchment is because cornmeal and regular flour is what burns first on the bottom of the crust. Your second reason for sticking/burning is pizza too thin and too many liquid toppings. The liquid gets between the crust and the stone...instant blackening.  

Lets face it. Most of us aren't pizza men. I've worked in pizzerias for over 15 years, getting a 18" pie off a peel into a 6 foot wide oven is hard enough. Getting a 15" pie to slide off onto a 16" stone, perfectly centered. Unless you dont like your hands and arm hair, parchment for a few minutes, than remove the paper. 
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    The trick is to give it a little wiggle every few seconds once it's on the peel to keep it loose. If your pizza does stick to the peel just use your fingers to lift one edge of the pie and gently blow under it. Seriously. It will pop right up like it's riding on a hovercraft. I don't use flour, cornmeal, parchment, super peels, or anything else. All you really need is a quality dough and a little practice. 

As far as getting it onto the peel in the first place, one of your problems is stretching the dough with a rolling pin. That's going to make it stick to your prep surface every time unless you're really careful. On top of that it's pushing all the bubbles out of the dough and you want the bubbles in the dough. Pizza dough should always be opened by hand. Save the rolling pin for pastries. If your wife likes a thin cracker-y crust try the America's Test Kitchen recipe for St. Louis style pizza. 
    XL BGE
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109

I flour my hands and roll dough ball in my hands before stretching it out. then lightly flour peeel (depending on how the dough feels sticky or not). and like chuff jiggle the peel to make sure its not stuck ( i've even used a spatula to "unstick it if my dough was too sticky. I use a little conrmeal on the stone and as Im transfering the pizza i get to jiggling back and forth and get the front edge to hit the stone where i want it and pull back. until you get the hang of it you might also use a large grilling spatula to help guide the pizza. I then use either the large spatula or peel to lift edge and rotate pizza. but with thin ones I've found that the crust has to get firmer on the bottom before trying to rotate it....and knowing when for me was trial and error and experience.

also ive found that if the dough is too wet sticky hydrated or whatever you want to call it, then Id have the problems your experreincing too

• Parchment paper = no transfer problems.  Parchment paper is relatively cheap and reusable.

The optics of someone blowing under the crust of what I am expected to eat would turn me off and would end up not eating anything that person prepared. 

Just me

Gerhard

• No not just you,,, me too

• I struggled with my first 5 pizza too but now I've got it down. - get the Egg to 500 - make sure your dough is room temp - roll it out with some flour - transfer to a wooden flour peel sprinkled with corn meal (it should move on the peel nice 'n easy) - transfer it to the hot pizza stone - cook the crust for 6 min until the edges start to turn brown - take it off the grill with metal pizza peel - add toppings - cook for 10 more minutes - remove and graciously accept praise