Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Camping OT

Options
Havent posted in awhile so I'm trying to get some input and help. My wife is wanting me to purchase a 30 foot trailer trailer. Haven't made up my mind yet. Most of our family camps on the weekend so my wife is wanting to also. Some ppl say they are money pits and some ppl say they are great. If I purchase I would buy new with a warranty but it's a pretty expensive purchase. The one I have my eye on has a huge outdoor kitchen. Let me know what you guys think and any input would be great. Thanks. 

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    I don't own a camper, but as a general observation, you can find really good deals on used trailers. From what I've seen you might get into a nice used trailer for 1/2 the cost of a new one.
    The only trailers that I've seen that hold their value is an Airstream and they are too expensive for me to consider. Even Airstreams depreciate.
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Ok thanks @GregW. Used might be the way to go. I'm thinking a metal or fiberglass travel trailer. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    From my basic understanding, with the exception of the Airstream aluminum trailers, fiberglass is a more desirable exterior cladding on a trailer.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    My niece camps, and we go spend a afternoon with them.  It is very relaxing to visit.  But....for what they spent on the camper, truck to pull it various other options, I could stay at a nice resort a week for many years.   It's all about what you want out of your down time. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• g8golfer
    Options
    @bucky925 your exactly right. I'm just trying to spend time with the family some when I'm not working. It's very relaxing. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    We bought a small (17 foot) fiberglass travel trailer earlier this year.  It was more that I wanted but when the wife asks you gotta deliver We use it at least 6 nights a month and based on where we live we can go like 8-9 months out of the year.  It's a blast, it's all about no cellphones, family and relaxing when we are out with some creature comforts (bed and shitter).  We did buy new because trailers are like boats yes they depreciate but you need to know how it was cared for more than anything.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,035
    Options
    I also agree to look for a used camper. A whole lot can't go wrong in a couple years. My buddy picked up a $90k travel trailer that was a few years old for $60k. You'd hate to buy new and lose all that money if it's something you and your family doesn't end up enjoying. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Used can be an economical way to go.  Just be sure you are comfortable distinguishing between a lightly used beauty and a money pit. A 30' trailer can be heavy.  Make sure you understand weights and tow rig needs. Depending on what you now own, a trailer that big could cost you to an extra 60k for a tow vehicle.

Is it worth it? For many the answer is a definite yes.  If it is what your family wants to do and you have the cash, go for it.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I agree with jtc^^^

Safety is always first.  

50% of towing capacity is the golden rule.  Fully loaded, which adds up quickly, I feel like 75%.  

So many variables and options out there from the firm handshake at the hitch/5th wheel, to tranny coolers, bigger tranny and differential pans, electronic brake controllers, brake upgrades, E rated tires inflated correctly, cold air intake, sway control kits, etc etc etc. Lots of artificial intelligence between tranny and motor to help now, backup cameras too.

Picking a camper is the easy part.
    Do your research, and please don't be a jackknifewagon.

The outdoor slideout kitchens are really nice.

You've got family that camps, and the green light to buy, so the best advice I can give....

Camping, in any sized trailer, is a lot of work.  Even after streamlining, and streamlining again.  Packing clothes, grills, chairs, food, drinks, etc.  Unloading at site.  Loading at site.  Unloading at home.  Laundry.  6 yr old nephew had a full blown meltdown two days ago because he didn't want to leave with his grandma.  

I have seen many get discouraged by the work.  Two couples I camp with went permanent after their first year because of this.  One couple bought a camper and went permanent.  Pulling the long, heavy rigs can be stressful.  I personally, like going to other campgrounds, and hang at family base camp.

But I too, will eventually go permanent.  Then eventually, an RV. Lol

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,784
    Options
    30 foot camper, you guys are redefining camping for me =)  guy near me got a 2 year old never used new trailer for half price off the lot.  keep an eye out in the big new camper lots for leftovers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    30 foot camper, you guys are redefining camping for me =)  guy near me got a 2 year old never used new trailer for half price off the lot.  keep an eye out in the big new camper lots for leftovers
    My Aunt has a double slideout with a flatscreen and fireplace, two couches, full kitchen.  It's glamping at 36K.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,430
    Options
    I have owned 12+ campers over the years.  I used to own a small RV Rental business in which I would deliver and set up RVs all over the state.  I have owned an older airstream, older travel trailers, newer travel trailers, and newer fifth wheels.  Here in Michigan, water damage is a big deal.  Most trailers are kept outside all the time.  In the winter, the multiple freeze and thaw cycles are brutal on campers.  When looking to buy, I could find some sort of water intrusion damage on 9 of the 10 units. 

The campers systems are pretty easy once you figure out what is going on with everything.  Being somewhat mechanically inclined does make camper ownership easier.  

Campers are built so cheaply nowadays, multiple things will fail.  I have so many stories.  The last few people that I know that bought new, find so many things that are warranty claims, that when they are not camping, the camper is just at the dealer for warranty work.  There are no "loaners" in the camping industry.  

To get to your questions:

Are they money pits?
    They can be.  If you buy used, you may need tires, bearing service, brake service right away - but then should be good for several years.

If you need the roof re-done you are looking at 500-800 bucks to have it sealed or up to 5 grand for a new membrane.

If your fridge goes out, be prepared to spend more than a home fridge.  

If your AC goes out, you are looking at $1,000 or so for a replacement.

These things all could happen.  I have never had all of them happen on the same camper.  Of the 12 or so that I owned, I never spent more than $3500 during the time i owned it on maintenance and repairs.   That is somewhat cheap if you compare it to other recreational vehicles.  

On the outdoor kitchen:
    I thought i used to want one.  After thinking about it more, i don't think i would.  

Reasons why:
    1. it takes away from interior space.  Campers are a box, if you add a compartment from outside, you are losing something inside.  Many bunkhouse style campers loose a bed to that  kitchen.

2. It is another area that is plumbed with LP - potential gas leak

3. It is another area that is plumbed with Hot and cold water and a drain - more possible points of leaking/failure

4. There is no way you will have everything you need int that outoor kitchen.  Your utensils condiments, etc are now split between kitchens.  I feel this increases the in/out of the camper

5. Many places I camp would put that outdoor kitchen in an inconvenient location.  

6. it is another area to clean food splatter off of (you are there to camp not work)

7. I have a blackstone i bring camping as well as an additional Dorm size fridge (or2).  I also bring a grill of some type (sometimes the egg) With these items, i create my own outdoor kitchen that requires far less cleanup, is far more efficient, and is fun to use.  

We have purchased a few campers at repo lots and repo actions and have had good luck.  Hardly any camper will appreciate in value.  (some vintage units are the exception).  

I love camping. I don't mind the work.  Yes, for the money you put down, you can be at an all inclusive resort a few times for the cost of a used camper.  

I would also stress on the safety.  Tow Level.  Get a place to get you set up correctly.  

PM me if you have any questions.  I will stop rambling. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,206
    Options
    @kl8ton I was going to recommend renting to the OP if you are only going to go camping 4-6x a year. Seems like it would be cheaper in the long run considering purchase cost, operational cost, maintenance, personal property taxes etc. 

Thoughts? 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    @DoubleEgger

Cheaper, probably yes.

In this situation, I would buy instead of rent, unless a favorable arrangement could be made between @g8golfer and the owner/operator of the camper.

Scheduling and availability can be challenging.  If these are impromptu trips (are we going/not going this weekend?) scheduled within the week, the stress and work of finding an available camper can be challenging.  (here in Michigan camping season is really Memorial day thru Labor day).  Our business has been shut down for 5 years and we still get calls from people desperate to find something.

Depending on the market and location, you could have a tight pickup/drop off window from rental company causing you to have to leave work early to pick something up and sign paperwork during business hours.  You may have to arrive to work late to facilitate dropping off Monday by noon.   (if renting from private party, this can be much more flexible).  

With a rental company you are paying security deposits, proving you have insurance enough to cover the camper, filling out all their paperwork, signing your life away in case you steal the camper, etc.

All your personal belongings need to be removed completely from rental unit. (added packing/unpacking time).  So you get home from a relaxing caomping weekend and have to work your butt off unloading the camper, and cleaning it to avoid losing your deposit.  

If you own a camper, your dishes, small appliances, camping chairs, umbrellas, extension cords, outdoor mats, leveling blocks, tools, card games, etc.  all stay inside.  If you get home and it is raining - you can wait until tomorrow to unload.

I feel if you are going for an extended time 1 or 2 times a year, renting is a great option.  If you go more than 2 times a year, or you want to be able to go at a moments notice, I would buy.  

5 years ago when we gave it up, we were charging $110 per night, plus $1.50 per loaded mile.  Some of our customers were paying $2,000 for 2 weeks of camping.  We provided a full service experience.  All bedding, pillows, bath towels, wash clothes, dish towels, dishes, toaster, coffee maker, etc.  some of our units could sleep 10.  On occasion, we had to turn them around an an hour.  Hard to do that many loads of laundry that quickly, so we had double of everything on hand.  Also, no renter ever cleaned the camper to my wife's standards, so a top to bottom cleaning was in order each time a unit came in.

A great option that I plan to do when I buy a camper again (I am currently without) is to rent it out yourself to cover your costs/payment (if you have one).  I would not do the full service thing again, but I would leave all my "stuff" in there.  Just don't get too attached to it.  Blinds will stop working, trim pieces will fall off, stuff will get scratched, the camper will get dents/dings.  

Grand Rapids MI
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Were on our 4th camper, and plan to never be without one. As the others have said there are arguments either way but rememeber, maintaining an RV is ongoing, old or new. We really enjoy every aspect of RVing (camping is done in tents) We opted to purchase new this last go round, and a though I dont regret purchasing new, the brand has been a regret. Our next one will either be an Airstream, Grand Design or Tiffin. But well probably get several more years use out of this one though. PM me any questions you might have, as if there's a stupid mistake to be made, well never mind. lol
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • g8golfer
    Options
    I have a 2015 1500 Chevy so towing shouldn't be to bad. I think it's suppose to tow between 10,000-11,000 pounds. I think the camper weighs 6500 dry weight. It's going to cost me around 20k on the road for the camper. Thanks for the feedback truly appreciated.
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Just watch your payload and I'd add a good wdh!
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    I have a 2015 1500 Chevy so towing shouldn't be to bad. I think it's suppose to tow between 10,000-11,000 pounds. I think the camper weighs 6500 dry weight. It's going to cost me around 20k on the road for the camper. Thanks for the feedback truly appreciated.
    You don't want to be pulling over 75% of max load. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    ^^Agreed. Personally I think thats even a little high. Comfortable and capable are two entirely different things when towing with your family onboard. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    How easy or pricey are they to refurb?  I see a lot on craigslist that look they would need some TLC, but I wouldn't want to go down that trail without any experience refurbing them.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • kl8ton
    Options
    thetrim said:
    How easy or pricey are they to refurb?  I see a lot on craigslist that look they would need some TLC, but I wouldn't want to go down that trail without any experience refurbing them.
    You don't refurb campers.  The only one's i have seen get refurbished is something like a Prevost Motorhome.  

You can recover your fabrics, yes.  Put in a new toilet or something like that if you want.  We ripped carpet out of one and did a laminate floor for easy cleaning and a nicer look.  

You will never get your money out of it.  If you start a refurb project, you will not be happy with it.  You will spend far too long looking for materials/furniture, etc.

Everything is "custom" and you can't find replacements for it anywhere.  Your cabinetry is made out of the lightest, most flimsy fiber boards that require every facet to be there structurally, or it is too weak so support itself.  You can't rip out the kitchen and go to home depot and buy materials to rebuild it.  There is nothing to attach new cupboards to.  Anything you buy to put in it adds weight - a lot more than originally intended.  

2 examples:

One trailer we purchased off a repo auction came without a couch.  Well you can't go to your local discount furniture store to buy one to put in there.  Once you measure where it goes and you start measuring everything available, nothing fits.  We visited RV salvage yards and nothing they had would fit.  (this trailer was only 2 or 3 years old).  Call the manufacturer of the trailer - they have one they can send you for $3,000.  

Another unit was a 40 foot high end fifth wheel that was only two years old.  The previous owner damaged the plastic fender skirt piece that "frames" the wheels.  I ordered a replacement.  I still had to cut the new one to fit as they use that part in almost every new trailer and just cut it to fit the application.  

Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Most people keep the camper until enough stuff stops working, or family size changes, or you use it WAY less than you thought you would.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • BikerBob
    Options
    Camping a few times a year at an interesting fun place is a lot different from spending every weekend at the same park near home because you can get there on Friday night. I've done it years ago. I did spend a lot of weekends at the beach which was nice, but after a while even a weekend in Paradise gets old. Then the camper sits and does not get used. Fun while it lasts. Oh don't forget kids. They start playing sports or wanting to go visit a friend on weekends. Spend a weekend with parents-yuk.
    Cooking on the coast
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    You can always make some side money with an RV 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I thought this might make a fun project.  Now, not so much!

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/rvs/d/1982-rv/6265004771.html

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Know your weights, but don't get too worked up about what percentage of your towing capability you are using. Use the acat scales to weigh your truck, and truck and trailer (two separate weighs). 

If if something breaks, and it will, just get into it and tackle it - you'll learn that working on a trailer isn't all that difficult. Carry some spare parts - solenoid for gas side of water heater, fuses, bulbs (go LED), pex connectors, teflon tape, you'll get to know what you need. 

Think about out getting a generator - we had 2 Honda 2000i generators and could dry camp with just one if we weren't using an air conditioner. 

Join a forum specifically for your model or at least your manufacturer - usually great people with lots of advice. 

We traveled for 10 years, full time and loved every minute of it!

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • g8golfer
    Options
    @JNDATHP thanks. It's a 2018 model with LED. My wife wants me to do it for family time plus I planned on pulling it to the beach for vacation if I end up buying it 
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Look at a new 2017.

You will be pressured to buy an extended warranty because the profit margins for the dealer are high. Decline and then do your due diligence and buy what you choose before the 1 year factory warranty is up. 

As as for your PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), don't let anyone rush you, take notes and video using your cellphone. 

If if you go to the beach, wash, wash, and wash the trailer again. Salt will wreak havoc if not removed by washing.  For your frame, I suggest Rustoleum rust neutralizer and then black spray paint. 

Do buy stabilizers to reduce tow sway. 

Enjoy the journey!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'm in the used camp.  I purchased a 37' used RV.  I had it for 3 years and ended up making money on it.  I put in hardwood floors, but I got that expense out too.

I went used because I watched how much $ my dad lost.  He had 3 RVs over a period of 10 years, and he lost a combined total in excess of 300k.

Phoenix