Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket And Pulled Pork For 700

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
So I was drafted by one of the Directors at work to cook brisket and pulled pork for the site picnic for an estimated 700 people on Wednesday. 

Started out by borrowing another SF trailer to ensure I had enough capacity to cook everything in one batch from BBQ-Brethren HammerheadSh. Can't thank him enough for his generosity to someone he just met a few weeks ago. 

Tomorrow a friend and I are headed to Restaurant Depot to buy 350# of butts and 350# of Angus brisket. 

Trimming and prepping the meat tomorrow morning and storing in the walk-in. Meat hits the smoke at midnight Tuesday night for lunch service to start at 1100. 

I will post more pics as things progress. Meanwhile here is a shot of 2 Shirley's in the garage out of the rain, and a shot of Hammerheads sitting in the driveway.
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Well now, that's some serious capacity. Looking forward to this. Just the prep alone is going to keep you busy for awhile. Good luck on the cook, I'll be following.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,041
    Options
    Can't wait!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CTMike
    Options
    DMW said:
    Well now, that's some serious capacity. Looking forward to this. Just the prep alone is going to keep you busy for awhile. Good luck on the cook, I'll be following.
    I do have 10 people to help with prep, trimming, injection, etc. I also had work order 30# of Black Ops and 3 gallons of Dizzy Dust. I get to take home the leftovers. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,478
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Da-n.  Talk about "Go big or go home..."  Hope you are able to source all that protein.  As above, post away as this will be fun to watch.  Tell the Director he owes you more than one for this banquet.  
    Edit: At first glance I thought there was an extra 0 in the title  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Wow!  11 hours to pull all that off?  You going to keep the temp 325/350?  Definitely post a lot of pics!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,036
    Options
    Holy cannoli mother of God!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Standing by for pics.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• CTMike
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Wow!  11 hours to pull all that off?  You going to keep the temp 325/350?  Definitely post a lot of pics!
    I typically throw a new split on when it hits 275 and it wil top out around 325 so an average of 300 F. I am also not afraid to foil the butts or wrap the brisket in paper to ensure I reach the finish 1 hour ahead of time to allow for at least a 1 hour rest. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Brother Mike, I was going to offer a few friendly suggestions, but you are probably already aware of them. As such, they do not warrant mentioning here. 
    On a seperate note, good luck ole buddy. I will be standing bye and looking forward to the finale. May the Meat Gods keep you ever in their good favor. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Can't wait to see Goin' Deep BBQ kick a$$. On this HUGE job!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Please let us know how this turns out, with pics if possible. Good luck!
    Stillwater, MN
  • CTMike
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Mike, I was going to offer a few friendly suggestions, but you are probably already aware of them. As such, they do not warrant mentioning here. 
    On a seperate note, good luck ole buddy. I will be standing bye and looking forward to the finale. May the Meat Gods keep you ever in their good favor. 

@SGH,

I gladly welcome any tips and advice you have. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,784
    Options
    Looking forward to the progress! A pound a person is a lot of protein !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Wow! Cannot wait to hear more. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,542
    Options
    Going to be epic...  can't wait to see results 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Standing by...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• CTMike
    Options
    400# of brisket and about the same in pork butts. Unfortunately they only had boneless butts. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    This is a BBQ adventure...Can't wait for the cooking photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DenaSmoker
    DenaSmoker Posts: 44
    Options
    My RD in my area only has boneless butts as well.  I have to tie them up with butcher string from where the bone was removed.  I find they cook faster as well even with them tied up.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    And I thought my cook for 60 over the weekend was an adventure. Can't wait for more photos
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,223
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I hope they gave you Thursday off... :o:o
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    And I thought my cook for 60 over the weekend was an adventure. Can't wait for more photos
    Ya, this blows away some of the big cooks I have done over the years.  man that's a lot of work.  I hope they all appreciate it.  Are you guys talking turns staying up with the smoker?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    700 lbs of meat at 1.5 hours a lb should take about 43 days at 225. 

Wait. That doesn't feel right. Man I hate math. 

All joking aside I am standing by to see these results. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Tagged for updates!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Wow! Go big or go home! 
    I will be watching this thread for the outcome. 
    Good luck, hope everything comes out well.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I don't know if I'll sleep tonight if you keep this thread updated!  Good luck with everything, Mike!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    700 lbs of meat at 1.5 hours a lb should take about 43 days at 225. 

Wait. That doesn't feel right. Man I hate math. 

All joking aside I am standing by to see these results. 
    This is me lol I am always glad it takes so long to heat up the grill, so that I have time to calculate all those numbers in my head (that's why I became a lawyer and not an engineer lol)
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Cant wait to see the remaining steps in the process!
  • CTMike
    Options
    My RD in my area only has boneless butts as well.  I have to tie them up with butcher string from where the bone was removed.  I find they cook faster as well even with them tied up.
    We ended tying these into roasts as well. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Plan is to fire the smokers up at midnight running between 275 - 325 F. I have foil and pink butter paper to crutch if necessary to arrive at the finish line on time. 

Fuel is oak, hickory, and maple with some peach and pecan thrown in. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.