Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Our 200+ year old Oak.

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
8th lost to Oak Wilt. Next door has lost 26 already. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    That is a tragedy for sure.  Think of the things she has witnessed in her days.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That's terribly sad. So so sorry. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mickey
    Options
    Upside (always an upside) we found that Red Oak right behind it. Really had not noticed it. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Sad, so strong and yet so fragile. Sounds like an epidemic given your losses and those of your neighbour. 
    Seeing your pics brings back memories of growing up in eastern Ontario during the '60's with Dutch Elm disease. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hey! Not your set for life with oak smoking wood. Lemons/lemonade, or something.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Sad to see a tree like yours die, but interesting to realize that your tree started life under Spanish rule.

Great pictures ... thanks for sharing.  Love the skills that allow a tree of that size to be taken down (to below ground level) with no damage to nearby foliage. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Very sorry to hear that.  We have a few giant Live Oaks on our property and, they are the reason we bought this place.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @Mickey sorry to see that.  Our neighborhood was hit 10 years ago, one neighbor with some tremendous oaks fought it and won.  He had to bring a company in that trenched around them (quite a ways away) and then infused something into the trees for months - they had beer kegs filled with something that had hoses running to the trees and multiple injection points around the trunk.  Big huge tree IV basically and they were able to save several that were already showing wilt infestation. Can't imagine what it cost, but those huge oaks were signature features of their property.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Anyone know where Harvey Updyke is?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I see an offset smoker in your future!  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Mickey said:
    8th lost to Oak Wilt. Next door has lost 26 already. That sucks man. We have been lucky so far but it's all around us

That sucks Mickey. We have been lucky but it is all around us. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Options
    Legume said:
    @Mickey sorry to see that.  Our neighborhood was hit 10 years ago, one neighbor with some tremendous oaks fought it and won.  He had to bring a company in that trenched around them (quite a ways away) and then infused something into the trees for months - they had beer kegs filled with something that had hoses running to the trees and multiple injection points around the trunk.  Big huge tree IV basically and they were able to save several that were already showing wilt infestation. Can't imagine what it cost, but those huge oaks were signature features of their property.
    They want $5500 per treatment and suggest at least 2 to 3 over a several year period. Several around use from the direction it is coming did this a couple of times 3 or 4 years ago and still lost 30 to 40%.
    Linda is using a home spread from Howard Garrett and see how it goes. 
    $10k is just way to much not to get assurances that we will still have 90% of the trees after several years (at least for us it is). 

• Mickey
    Options

Mickey said:
    8th lost to Oak Wilt. Next door has lost 26 already. That sucks man. We have been lucky so far but it's all around us

That sucks Mickey. We have been lucky but it is all around us. 
    We have watched it coming for several years. Best of luck buddy.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I had not heard of oak wilt before. A few minutes of reading shows it to be a very serious threat to oak trees. Undoubtedly this will become more widespread over time.
    The infection maps don't show it in Alabama as of yet.

There are American Chestnut and American Elm trees available that are disease resistant.
    Hopefully something can be done to save the Oak trees.
    The development of disease resistant varieties doesn't do anything to ease the pain from the loss of a 200 year old tree.  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Legume said:
    They want $5500 per treatment and suggest at least 2 to 3 over a several year period. Several around use from the direction it is coming did this a couple of times 3 or 4 years ago and still lost 30 to 40%.
    Linda is using a home spread from Howard Garrett and see how it goes. 
    $10k is just way to much not to get assurances that we will still have 90% of the trees after several years (at least for us it is). 
    Ooooh, yeah, that would be too expensive for uncertainty.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    GregW said:
    I had not heard of oak wilt before. A few minutes of reading shows it to be a very serious threat to oak trees. Undoubtedly this will become more widespread over time.
    The infection maps don't show it in Alabama as of yet.

There are American Chestnut and American Elm trees available that are disease resistant.
    Hopefully something can be done to save the Oak trees.
    The development of disease resistant varieties doesn't do anything to ease the pain from the loss of a 200 year old tree.  

With the massive loss of canopy trees here in Louisville, it has caused so many more to die due to exposure to direct sun. Our city is losing 100 trees per week due to ash bores, oak wilt, pine beetles and other pests and disease.
    Winters no longer getting cold enough, long enough to kill the insects and blights. 
    We lost a 40 year old dogwood to the massive deforestation. We now expect to lose our 50 year old red dogwood that was next to it.
    We have planted fast growers to help, but, it will take years to re establish.
    Very sorry for your tree, I truly hate to see anything of that magnitude in years to perish. Best of luck going forward. I hope the situation turns for you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I too know the pain. I lost this big oak to something, but not oak wilt as other oaks nearby have not been infected. I counted 227 rings on the remaining stump. Note the dude in the yellow shirt clear at the top. He had arms like Popeye!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That sucks man. Lots of history around those roots. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hate that for you.

I'll take 3 chords when the firewood is chopped. 
    New Albany, Ohio