Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel won't come off

Options
Greetings Eggheads.  I really want to upgrade to a Smokeware top, however, my daisywheel is absolutely stuck on there.  Any suggestions on how to get it off?

Thank you all in advance, and grill on.
Thank you.

Q
________________________________________________________________________________
Columbia, Missouri - Family Man and Bourbon Drinker

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” 

Mark Twain

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Start it up. Heat up the creosote that is holding it on and it should come off. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Good place to bring this up once more. Have 4 Eggs and ZERO daisy wheels. They are not needed. I can control all with the bottom vent. 
    Just saying.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Remindes me of my neighbor.  Called me one night and asked if I had allen wrenches?  Me: yeah what size?  he told me bring all I had.  I got there and 3 people were standing around his new Harley.  He was trying to get the baffels out of the mufferl (sp)  They were all half in the bag and just short of stripping the screws out.  I told him to start the bike.  Give me a beer.  He just looked at me like I was crazy.  After I finished my beer we shut down the bike and the screws came out easy peasy.  

Long story to say heat helps. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• InfectedDAS
    InfectedDAS Posts: 211
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Good place to bring this up once more. Have 4 Eggs and ZERO daisy wheels. They are not needed. I can control all with the bottom vent. 
    Just saying.....
    Mickey has perfected using the lower aperture, better than most. Me, not so much as my egg and Primo are not at eye level and every time I bend down to adjust the lower vent, I spill my drink. 
    Agreed
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Just saying.....
    Preach on Mickey. I couldn't agree more. Why add an extra step and complicate things? Only time my eggs see a daisy wheel is low and slow or if it's raining. The rest of the time they aren't needed.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BulletGrillHouse
    Options
    I agree you can control the heat from the bottom, but you allow a lot more heat to escape, which I suspect would burn more lump
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I agree you can control the heat from the bottom, but you allow a lot more heat to escape, which I suspect would burn more lump
    But then you would be generating more smoke for more taste.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Let's see ... hmmm ... @Mickey advocates running the egg without ugly daisy.  And, he strongly advocates turbo cooks.  Could those two be related?  Cheers.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options

Have removed mine by heating it up, and pulling it off while wearing my welding gloves.  Seems to make the gasket softer.  I do pizza cooks without the daily wheel, but need it pinched down when the controller is doing a slow cook.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have cooked just about everything on my XL >=300F without a Daisy wheel. Low and slow, 225F to 275F I use the Daisy Wheel. No issues, ever. MiniMax is the same.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Just saying.....
    I've never tried this, so I sure could be wrong -- not arguing, just asking:  I would have thought that a WIDE open top would almost have to let more smoke out than a tiny little opening.  

I don't think it matters with hot grilling, but with a low-and-slow I want the top opening pretty small (and the bottom one's pretty small too).

Am I wrong?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Mickey said:
    Just saying.....
    I've never tried this, so I sure could be wrong -- not arguing, just asking:  I would have thought that a WIDE open top would almost have to let more smoke out than a tiny little opening.  

I don't think it matters with hot grilling, but with a low-and-slow I want the top opening pretty small (and the bottom one's pretty small too).

Am I wrong?
    If you're smoking low and slow you want the daisy wheel. I go topless anything above 300 degrees 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Let's see ... hmmm ... @Mickey advocates running the egg without ugly daisy.  And, he strongly advocates turbo cooks.  Could those two be related?  Cheers.
    You forgot "no overnight cooks at all" and no wires at all.  All sounds right. 
    Im into easy for me. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KermitTheEgg
    Options
     Sitting here now enjoying a beer waiting for the egg to get up to temp.    Hopefully this works thank everyone for all the advice. 
    Thank you.

Q
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Mark Twain

• Hans61
    Options
    It's stuck get it? No one thought that was funny? I must be off my game. Carry on 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • KermitTheEgg
    Options
    Now what?????
    Thank you.

Q

Mark Twain

• Hans61
    Options
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Sorry man I'm sure someone will know the trick to get it off
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Now what?????
    You might try prying LIGHTLY with a small dowel or stick.  Catch the underside of the daisy wheel opening with the end of the dowel and pry upward with the other side of the daisy wheel opening as a fulcrum. Work your way around the egg prying every 45 degrees or so.  The idea is to simply break the bond between the daisy wheel and the seal, not pry it all the way off.

If that doesn't work, then try it with two dowels 180 degrees apart for the prying operation.

If that doesn't work, you might let the egg get cold and then heat the vertical flange of ugly daisy.  With the egg cold, the neck will be the smallest diameter.  When you heat ugly daisy, the cast iron diameter will enlarge ... might be enough differential to get it off.

If those don't work, then get a friend to hold the dome open while you use a dowel and a hammer to pound softly up through the dome opening and on the inside horizontal part of ugly daisy.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Now what?????
    You might try prying LIGHTLY with a small dowel or stick.  Catch the underside of the daisy wheel opening with the end of the dowel and pry upward with the other side of the daisy wheel opening as a fulcrum. Work your way around the egg prying every 45 degrees or so.  The idea is to simply break the bond between the daisy wheel and the seal, not pry it all the way off.

If that doesn't work, then try it with two dowels 180 degrees apart for the prying operation.

If that doesn't work, you might let the egg get cold and then heat the vertical flange of ugly daisy.  With the egg cold, the neck will be the smallest diameter.  When you heat ugly daisy, the cast iron diameter will enlarge ... might be enough differential to get it off.

If those don't work, then get a friend to hold the dome open while you use a dowel and a hammer to pound softly up through the dome opening and on the inside horizontal part of ugly daisy.
    I think @Jeepster47 might have "The Knack"
    https://youtu.be/60P1xG32Feo

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • meggnificent
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Just saying.....
    Interesting, I do the opposite.  I leave my bottom vent wide open and control the temp with the daisy wheel.  Something I read in a book I think.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I would just take a small hammer and tap LIGHTLY downward all the way around where the BIG GREEN EGG letters are. I said LIGHTLY. Maybe repeatedly, but not with a heavy hand. You're not trying to force it down, you're trying to break the bond. Then, tap upward from the inside, again LIGHTLY. Use a dowel. Alternate as needed. When tapping upward, be prepared in case it suddenly pops loose and goes flying. But then, I did say LIGHTLY. 

Very LIGHTLY.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KermitTheEgg
    Options
    As everyone could see, I broke the top hatch off the Daisy off, not that big of a deal, and even justified my Smokeware purchase even more.  So, I went a step further and fired her up to 600 opened the lid up, took a flat head screwdriver and put it on the lip of the daisy from the inside and then gave it nice tap with a hammer.....and wham, she came right off.  

Thank you again to everyone, and I will keep you updated with my Smokeware.  

Cheers.
    Thank you.

Q

Mark Twain

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Blow torch the DW, tap gentle as a butterfly landing with sore feet, and lift.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky