Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooler wars - round 2

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Are YETI's balls big enough to go after Walmart/Sam's Club? :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I am tired of Yeti and will leave it at that.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Lol out of curiosity I tried to Google "axis cups", and they already shut down there website.  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Seems like the new style Yeti soft coolers are a copy of RTIC soft coolers.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options

I wonder when/if Yeti goes after Orca?

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    I have an RTIC 20 and and RTIC 45. I have to say that they don't have the fit and finish that the Yeti has but performance wise they are every bit as good. My RTIC 45 keeps ice longer than my son's Yeti 50.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • EpicCajun
    EpicCajun Posts: 5
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I now have a completely new rotation of RTIC hard and soft coolers thanks to this. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That's funny.  F-the class action lawyers though. They should offer to make up the shortfall in volume with free cups.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Honestly, I think this is a totally legitimate lawsuit re: the cooler capacity.  That is very deceptive
  • fishlessman
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Honestly, I think this is a totally legitimate lawsuit re: the cooler capacity.  That is very deceptive
    if yeti made them to size...would they be copying rtic =)
    fukahwee maine

• Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Does make you wonder if the RTIC is the correct size.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Most are actually slightly larger than the advertised quart size.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have so many coolers of every size I don't think I'll ever buy another.
    Options
    rtic is very close to size, yeti is intentionally small

RTIC 45
    Interior Dimensions: 19.375 x 10.5 x 11.875 = 2415.82 cu in
    Volume: 41.8 quarts
    Difference: -3.17 qts (3.17% LESS)

RTIC 65
    Interior Dimensions: 24.75 x 11.75 x 13 = 3780.563 cu in
    Volume: 65.46 quarts
    Difference: +.46 qts (0.71% MORE)

Yeti 50
    Interior Dimensions: 16.625 x 10.625 x 12.125 = 2141.768 cu in
    Volume: 37 quarts
    Difference: -13 qts (26% LESS)

Yeti 65
    Interior Dimensions: 23.375 x 10.75 x 10.125 = 2544.223 cu in
    Volume: 44 quarts
    Difference: -21 qts (32.3% LESS)

Yeti 75
    Interior Dimensions: 26 x 11.125 x 12 = 3471 cu in
    Volume: 60 quarts
    Difference: -15 qts (20% LESS)

Yeti 105
    Interior Dimensions: 23 x 12.5 x 14.25 = 4096.875 cu in
    Volume: 71 quarts
    Difference: -34 qts (32.38% LESS)

Yeti 160
    Interior Dimensions: 37.375 x 12.375 x 15.5 = 7168.992 cu in
    Volume: 124 quarts
    Difference: -36 qts (22.5% LESS)

fukahwee maine

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Yeti is a nice idea but when you have a Coleman xtreme that keep ice just as long for a fraction of the price.  Let's just say that's a lot of beer and meat money you could have for that next camping trip B) I'm a big rtic fan also.  Yeti is just so salty!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    rtic is very close to size, yeti is intentionally small

RTIC 45
    Interior Dimensions: 19.375 x 10.5 x 11.875 = 2415.82 cu in
    Volume: 41.8 quarts
    Difference: -3.17 qts (3.17% LESS)

RTIC 65
    Interior Dimensions: 24.75 x 11.75 x 13 = 3780.563 cu in
    Volume: 65.46 quarts
    Difference: +.46 qts (0.71% MORE)

Yeti 50
    Interior Dimensions: 16.625 x 10.625 x 12.125 = 2141.768 cu in
    Volume: 37 quarts
    Difference: -13 qts (26% LESS)

Yeti 65
    Interior Dimensions: 23.375 x 10.75 x 10.125 = 2544.223 cu in
    Volume: 44 quarts
    Difference: -21 qts (32.3% LESS)

Yeti 75
    Interior Dimensions: 26 x 11.125 x 12 = 3471 cu in
    Volume: 60 quarts
    Difference: -15 qts (20% LESS)

Yeti 105
    Interior Dimensions: 23 x 12.5 x 14.25 = 4096.875 cu in
    Volume: 71 quarts
    Difference: -34 qts (32.38% LESS)

Yeti 160
    Interior Dimensions: 37.375 x 12.375 x 15.5 = 7168.992 cu in
    Volume: 124 quarts
    Difference: -36 qts (22.5% LESS)

I think the measurements are of the smallest dimension on the bottom as they taper a little. Direct conversion from listed specs will be a little off.
    But the Yeti coolers are very short.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I seriously hope you cut and pasted that from the internet, fishlessperson, otherwise I'll have to be concerned about the balance between your mental health and free time. 
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Let's just say that's a lot of beer and meat money you could have for that next camping trip
    Camping this weekend- Yeti 65 for food, Yeti 75 full of Beer.  Priorities

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Rte1985
    Options
     :o You tha man!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Yeti is a nice idea but when you have a Coleman xtreme that keep ice just as long for a fraction of the price.  Let's just say that's a lot of beer and meat money you could have for that next camping trip B) I'm a big rtic fan also.  Yeti is just so salty!
    I have 2 Coleman extremes in my attic cause I hate to throw things away. They aren't even in the same category as Yeti. 
  • Rte1985
    Options
    Lit said:
    Rte1985 said:
    I have 2 Coleman extremes in my attic cause I hate to throw things away. They aren't even in the same category as Yeti. 
    Give them to me.  I was just stating there is not much difference in ice retention.  Bears are never interested in my coolers so I don't have to worry about that. Now the locking latches are nice but other competitive coolers have that.  I'm just saying I could sell my house to buy a Ferrari to drive back and forth to work but my 99 burb does just fine! I'm not anti Yeti. I think they are great coolers but the majority of people who use coolers don't need a Yeti for general use. But to each their own.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Lit said:
    Rte1985 said:
    Give them to me.  I was just stating there is not much difference in ice retention.  Bears are never interested in my coolers so I don't have to worry about that. Now the locking latches are nice but other competitive coolers have that.  I'm just saying I could sell my house to buy a Ferrari to drive back and forth to work but my 99 burb does just fine! I'm not anti Yeti. I think they are great coolers but the majority of people who use coolers don't need a Yeti for general use. But to each their own.
    Now now.... "extreme coolering" where seconds count before your food goes bad, beer turns yucky, these are where it really matters that you have a super expensive chinese made well-branded cooler. 

Hell if I'm gonna add ice after three days when I could fork out a few hunnert bucks more and add ice at 4 days.  Screw that.

Image result for louis vuitton ridiculous
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Lit said:
    Rte1985 said:
    But there is a huge difference in ice retention. The Yetis ice will easily last double what the extremes do.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I seriously hope you cut and pasted that from the internet, fishlessperson, otherwise I'll have to be concerned about the balance between your mental health and free time. 
    thats a cut and paste, if you want to play fact checker, have at it ;)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    as far as ice retention goes, my rtic still has ice since november in it and its been outside in the sun the whole time B)
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    Options
    I bet he went the extra step and actually bought samples of each, measured them himself, and then created the spreadsheet to do the math.

I can tell that he was serious about all that by the complete lack of emoticons in his post. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    Lit said:
    Rte1985 said:
    When it comes to the one characteristic most people  buy coolers for - holding ice for a few days - yes they are (as actual testing has shown).

On the other hand, the YETI's are bear proof (and that may be of actual importance to 0.1% of YETI owners) whereas the Xtremes are not.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    Rte1985 said:
    When it comes to the one characteristic most people  buy coolers for - holding ice for a few days - yes they are (as actual testing has shown).

On the other hand, the YETI's are bear proof (and that may be of actual importance to 0.1% of YETI owners) whereas the Xtremes are not.
    I'm after a cooler for camping, are the Coleman as good temperature wise? I just want functional (ie stays cold), ideally with latches, at a cheapskate price. Doesn't need to be bear proof.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Eoin said:
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    Rte1985 said:

I'm after a cooler for camping, are the Coleman as good temperature wise? I just want functional (ie stays cold), ideally with latches, at a cheapskate price. Doesn't need to be bear proof.
    The extremes do not have latched atleast the ones I have seen and own. If you are camping starting like a Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon the extreme will work fine but it will be 3/4 melted by then.