Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump

Options
2»

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'll trade you 1.5 boxes of center cut...

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I am close to finishing a home made wood retort setup for converting wood into home made charcoal

I have an unlimited and free supply of mesquite and pecan wood and plan to ise it to make decent sized batches of smoking wood 

Stay tuned and when the project is done, ill post picts and results on this forum...

Very interested in this @westernbbq .  I'll be watching for updates
    Phoenix 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Who will open the bidding?

not me.  I still have 8 bags (found 2 more bags when all the service boxes went back to the company on my retirement). Those bags are from the haul the henapple did 2 Salado fest ago.
    I am running low on Rockwood....8 bag left
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have a single lonely bag of OO.
    NOLA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Lit said:
    That's a freaking fire hazard!  PM me your address and I'll fix that.  The Fogo is particularly worrisome.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options

I'm interested in this auction's results.  I still have 17 bags of OO.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:

I'm interested in this auction's results.  I still have 17 bags of OO.
    Enjoy them then!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Yes @blasting. Ill keep you and egg nation informed..   I was pretty excited about this when i decided to go for it a couple of months ago... Originally was going to use a ss 55 gal drum around a 30 gal ss drum but at $300 each i decided to go craigslist route and bought three steel 55 gal drums for $15 each...then got one sandblasted clean for $40 and got a buddy to weld a rocket stove with internal retort vent line

The last component will be a custom, non carcinogenic material 'jacket' for the barrel so that the heat can really be held in.   I am way behind on this project but probably will be ready to go in full retort mode in the next 45 days....

One of the dads i coach little league with has two pecan trees that were cut down and cut up last year so its good and dry, another buddy juat cleared 2 acres of mesquite and it is all cut up into small pieces because mesquite trees are gnarly the way they grow, so his guys cut it all up into small pieces to ease handling.  

Ill snap a few pics of what i have so far, barrel, sandblasted, holes and vents plus the rocket stove with retort tube.   

Insulation is next and then home made charcoal is on its way....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Henapple gave me a bunch of OO a month and a half ago.  I have a nice supply of that, rockwood, and other stuff.  Seriously, I don't give a fck.  It's **** charcoal.
    Options
    Yeah but making your own charcoal no matter how dangerous or stupid it may seem is, simply put, cool.....
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    1 word. FOGO
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I can't get royal oak these days. Just ran out last week. Bought a bag of bge for 27 bucks and about fainted when they told me how much it was. 
    That is insane. I thought it was well over priced at $23.00. Good luck brother.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky