Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC v YETI law suit settlement

Options

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I would name the newest line of coolers, "COOLIO"
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Maybe change the name from Rtic to Sasquatch.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Fantastic Voyage.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    thetrim said:
    Fantastic Voyage.
    I got my mind on my ice and my ice on my mind

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Acn said:
    YukonRon said:
    thetrim said:
    Fantastic Voyage.
    I got my mind on my ice and my ice on my mind
    Liiiiiike it!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think RTIC should work out a marketing agreement with Trump.  If Trump was involved he'd just counter sue the EFF outta anyone who thought they stole their patents or IP and we'd have the option of a solid gold cooler that would look great next to your Trump branded Kamado Joe cooking Trump steaks well done (just the way Trump like's 'em).  Since they're already made in China, not like any tariff would be added from losing jerbs and china would be forever off the banned country list for immigration.  Win fcking WIN!!!  That would be a DEAL!  (others, SAD!)
    Options
    Sorry, I missed that one. I want a well done Trump wagyu, from Trump SRF, FTC in a gold trump RTIC.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Lit said:
    Toxarch said:
    Lit said:
    Toxarch said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    Seems to me the fact that Yeti was/is willing to sue shows that the facts are they have nothing "special" to offer.
    RTIC copied every aspect of Yeti and didn't have to spend any of the advertising money. Their owners should get jail time and the company and all assets should be turned over to Yeti. There's no reason for any company to be innovative and come up with new products if any hack can steal their ideas once they have marketed them and made them successful. Every time you buy an RTIC product you are backing a bunch of scumbags that just took a free ride.
    YEAH PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT STUFF FROM THEM SUCK!!!!!!, SO SAYS THE GUY WHO JUST BOUGHT A 65, 45, 40 SOFT, TWO COOZIES, THREE DIVIDERS, AND A BASKET
    Damn you are hard core white trash. I hope they apply this logic to everything my daughters epi pen will be free. Nothing else will ever be cured because your a scumbag but hey you got a good deal on a cooler **** scumbags.
    Free market economy.  Patent protection available.  Yeti was not first, just marketed well.  They have no specific rights under patent law.  Love my RTIC cooler.  The scumbags were the Epi-pen makers who marked up an old, low cost drug into a device you paid $600 for.  
    Epi pen was over $700 from Costco in December but luckily only $30 with my new insurance. I paid around $400 last year though.
    I don't get the comparison to the epipen.  The Yeti folks did to the rotomolded cooler what the epipen folks did to injectable epinephrine. 

If RTIC diversified into making injectable epinephrine, for a much lower price, I doubt you or many others would think they were scumbags.

Besides, coolers in the context of outdoorsmen and folks who like to cook are hardly life saving devices. Tone down the angst. 
    The comparison was for any advancement. No company would invest all that money into research if as soon as they cured something anyone could steal and reproduce what they had discovered. Yeti spent all that money in marketing and RTIC jumped in and copied their design and piggy backed themselves on the marketing by comparing to them and could sell for way less because they had no design costs or marketing they just had to pump out coolers. There's a reason they settled cause they knew they were wrong.
    If you still want to use pharmaceuticals as an analogy, that's exactly what happens . the patent is good for 20 years from invention/discovery (not when it hits shelves). Then anyone can make and market the drug. Walk down the aisles of any drugstore and you'll see.

You're a scumbag too then, if you've ever taken any generic medication. And yes, there is usually a considerable price difference between generic and non-generic meds.
    @Lit You just got LIT UP!!!!
    This is not a good analogy. Of course once the patents have expired, anyone can manufacture the product. The issue between Yeti and RTIC is that the protective rights under intellectual property and/or patents have not expired. If they were expired, surely the case would have been dismissed by the judge as frivolous. 

A better pharmaceutical analogy would be that you are buying a black market substitute drug in lieu of a brand new drug released last year. 
    Yes this. 
    Except that there was no blackmarket dealing here. No clear  patent infringement either apparently, otherwise the lawsuit wouldnt have  dragged on as long as it did. And it was settled, no ruling was made.

I'm not sure why I care so much about someone being so butt- hurt over a cooler company, so this is my last post. You're welcome to have the last word.
    They agreed to stop making everything and pay back money. Pretty sure that means they knew there was copyright infringement. These guys are a bunch of scumbags support them if you want to. And I'm not butt hurt at all it's fun trolling you guys you make it so easy.
    Yeah, nice try, but when you get emotional and start cussing people in a cooler thread, you can't play it off as "trolling". That's the definition of butt hurt.
    I guess you missed the other threads for the past 2 years where I've done the same thing over and over and it gets all you RTIC guys mad every time. Funny stuff.
    I've seen you be butt hurt in those threads too. None of that was you trolling people. You are a Yeti fanboy and you hate that they have any competition. 
    You are so right I'm glad you made me realize that. Next time I need to know how I feel about something I'm gonna ask you cause you seem to know exactly how I really feel. Especially about hating yeti has competition when I have stated my next cooler will be the larger pelican with wheels multiple times. 
    You say that as if we care about or pay attention to every butt hurt comment you post in the RTIC threads. New flash: we don't.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Lit said:
    Toxarch said:
    Lit said:
    Toxarch said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    caliking said:
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    thetrim said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    Seems to me the fact that Yeti was/is willing to sue shows that the facts are they have nothing "special" to offer.
    RTIC copied every aspect of Yeti and didn't have to spend any of the advertising money. Their owners should get jail time and the company and all assets should be turned over to Yeti. There's no reason for any company to be innovative and come up with new products if any hack can steal their ideas once they have marketed them and made them successful. Every time you buy an RTIC product you are backing a bunch of scumbags that just took a free ride.
    YEAH PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT STUFF FROM THEM SUCK!!!!!!, SO SAYS THE GUY WHO JUST BOUGHT A 65, 45, 40 SOFT, TWO COOZIES, THREE DIVIDERS, AND A BASKET
    Damn you are hard core white trash. I hope they apply this logic to everything my daughters epi pen will be free. Nothing else will ever be cured because your a scumbag but hey you got a good deal on a cooler **** scumbags.
    Free market economy.  Patent protection available.  Yeti was not first, just marketed well.  They have no specific rights under patent law.  Love my RTIC cooler.  The scumbags were the Epi-pen makers who marked up an old, low cost drug into a device you paid $600 for.  
    Epi pen was over $700 from Costco in December but luckily only $30 with my new insurance. I paid around $400 last year though.
    I don't get the comparison to the epipen.  The Yeti folks did to the rotomolded cooler what the epipen folks did to injectable epinephrine. 

If RTIC diversified into making injectable epinephrine, for a much lower price, I doubt you or many others would think they were scumbags.

Besides, coolers in the context of outdoorsmen and folks who like to cook are hardly life saving devices. Tone down the angst. 
    The comparison was for any advancement. No company would invest all that money into research if as soon as they cured something anyone could steal and reproduce what they had discovered. Yeti spent all that money in marketing and RTIC jumped in and copied their design and piggy backed themselves on the marketing by comparing to them and could sell for way less because they had no design costs or marketing they just had to pump out coolers. There's a reason they settled cause they knew they were wrong.
    If you still want to use pharmaceuticals as an analogy, that's exactly what happens . the patent is good for 20 years from invention/discovery (not when it hits shelves). Then anyone can make and market the drug. Walk down the aisles of any drugstore and you'll see.

You're a scumbag too then, if you've ever taken any generic medication. And yes, there is usually a considerable price difference between generic and non-generic meds.
    @Lit You just got LIT UP!!!!
    This is not a good analogy. Of course once the patents have expired, anyone can manufacture the product. The issue between Yeti and RTIC is that the protective rights under intellectual property and/or patents have not expired. If they were expired, surely the case would have been dismissed by the judge as frivolous. 

A better pharmaceutical analogy would be that you are buying a black market substitute drug in lieu of a brand new drug released last year. 
    Yes this. 
    Except that there was no blackmarket dealing here. No clear  patent infringement either apparently, otherwise the lawsuit wouldnt have  dragged on as long as it did. And it was settled, no ruling was made.

I'm not sure why I care so much about someone being so butt- hurt over a cooler company, so this is my last post. You're welcome to have the last word.
    They agreed to stop making everything and pay back money. Pretty sure that means they knew there was copyright infringement. These guys are a bunch of scumbags support them if you want to. And I'm not butt hurt at all it's fun trolling you guys you make it so easy.
    Yeah, nice try, but when you get emotional and start cussing people in a cooler thread, you can't play it off as "trolling". That's the definition of butt hurt.
    I guess you missed the other threads for the past 2 years where I've done the same thing over and over and it gets all you RTIC guys mad every time. Funny stuff.
    I've seen you be butt hurt in those threads too. None of that was you trolling people. You are a Yeti fanboy and you hate that they have any competition. 
    You are so right I'm glad you made me realize that. Next time I need to know how I feel about something I'm gonna ask you cause you seem to know exactly how I really feel. Especially about hating yeti has competition when I have stated my next cooler will be the larger pelican with wheels multiple times. 
    You say that as if we care about or pay attention to every butt hurt comment you post in the RTIC threads. New flash: we don't.
    You were talking like you know me better than I do though you must read everything I post no? Now I'm sad you don't follow every comment I make.
  • Beachbum28
    Options
    Things are getting pretty heated here lol, so I was just on Amazon and they have 45 and 65's up full price :( I should have ordered 2 weeks ago for the discount. I bought a 45 & 65 I'm not one that's tied to a brand it's about saving $ and getting an equal if not better product kind of like buying store brand at the supermarket 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @Beachbum28 -  "getting pretty heated"...that phase is well into the rear-view mirror.  We are now well beyond any rational thought or discussion. The old school phrase of "Keeping up with the Jones's" is hard at work now.  
    Kinda like the new school phrase of "Who's di-k is bigger."  
    All this over some roto molded coolers-talk about first-world butt hurt.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    From the Spring 2017 line of new RTIC coolers:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Yeti invented the duffel bag.  And ice.  Lawsuit pending.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Clearly it's full of ice the way she's gingerly holding it.

advertized as cooler or just duffel?
  • Spaightlabs
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Legume said:

Maybe it is full of ice and she is just super strong?

RTIC duffel, keeps hot clothes hot and cold clothes cold.
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    That's a pretty cool bag, saw it last week when I visited for the open box sale
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • Lit
    Options
    Yeti invented the duffel bag.  And ice.  Lawsuit pending.
    I doubt Yeti wants their name on that thing.
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    I doubt if there is anything that Yeti doesn't want their name on.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Legume said:

Tis a waterproof duffel.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Just a bump to keep the butt hurt flowing. I just got a 30 ounce coated Tumbler, a lowball Tumbler, a basket for my 45 and a divider for my 45 all for under $42 shipped. 

Jacksonville FL
  • Lit
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Just a bump to keep the butt hurt flowing. I just got a 30 ounce coated Tumbler, a lowball Tumbler, a basket for my 45 and a divider for my 45 all for under $42 shipped. 

You could have saved some money if you got the ozark trail. 
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    Options

:) just got my 45 in.  This is my first RTIC and I am very happy with the quality, no issues at all.  Will be doing some testing over the next few days, but expect it to function as expected.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Dobie said:
     Lit said:
    Dobie said:

You could have saved some money if you got the ozark trail. 
    Yeah but I wanted RTIC so I paid up for the name....
    Yup, one can only go so deep into the slums!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dirtdiver2000
    Options
    This says it all, called to confirm if my older rtic would be warrantied and they said, 30 days on all coolers and drinkware. This has to be the worst warranty I've seen on any product. Anyone buying Rtic good luck. 

• HeavyG
    Options
    Only 30 days?!?!?!

Man, with all the intricate, finely machined, close tolerance moving parts made from fragilium in a molded plastic cooler that really is a shameful warranty. 

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
     No ****. If my cooler breaks, guess what-

I'll buy another!! 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    May I interest either of you in a very reasonably priced 3rd party extended warranty?
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    May I interest either of you in a very reasonably priced 3rd party extended warranty?
    Only if I can pre pay for the extended 30 days. I have s feeling it's gonna get rough this spring. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Beachbum28
    Options
    These things are tanks by buddy had his 65 in his truck bed full of meat forgot to shut tailgate got to highway speed saw cooler fall out and slide across road only a little road rash other that no problems and lid stayed shut and meat was safe