Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- sous vide burgers

Options
First thing I've done with the new toy. Pretty good stuff. Next time I'll cook them at 130 instead 140. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,535
    Options
    Not the first thing I would've thought of to do sous vide, Bravo!  

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @Botch they wanted me to grill burgers for them so I threw in a few burgers in the sous vide for us to try. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    Botch said:
    Not the first thing I would've thought of to do sous vide, 
    Agree. I attempted anus. Wasn't impressed with the results. Going for turkey breast next. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• keener75
    keener75 Posts: 393
    Options
    I'm not sure I would have enjoyed "anus" either...
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    keener75 said:
    I'm not sure I would have enjoyed "anus" either...
    Ever had it deep fried? It's a delicacy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Scottie, how many times have you "attempted anus"?  I seem to remember you talking about this prior to your foray into sous vide...
    Options
    In the style of Dixie?
    Can't say I have...
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • texaswig
    Options
    @SGH peddle your sous vided butthole in the  style of dixie in one of @nolaegghead s posts.we don't get down like that in these parts. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Sous vide is a really nice way to cook thick/pub style burgers. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Couple of SV burger tricks for those so-inclined to try. Get your patty the way you like it- when we do SV burgers we do them thick but very loosely packed. Very airy if you will. Either way, freeze the patties before you vac them down. The seal not only compresses the meat but it also pinches the sides down to a sharp angle. If you freeze first, then your burger won't be compressed to hockey puck like density and the edges will be as thick as the middle. Cook it med rare at 130 or so for 1-4 hours and you will have a perfectly safe to eat med rare bloody burger- even with the storebought commodity meat. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • texaswig
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker @J-dubya yep next time doing lower temp and thicker burger. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    4 plus hours to kill all the koodies, if I remember correctly, and that's after it's 130 through and through.
    Options
    SGH said:
    Botch said:
    Agree. I attempted anus. Wasn't impressed with the results. Going for turkey breast next. 
    I would have thought anus would be a match made in heaven for sous vide.
    Anus is tough if it is under-cooked and tough when over-cooked.
    I would have thought sous vide would have put that anus right smack in the middle of the Goldilocks zone. A perfect Al dente, firm to the bite without being overly chewy. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GregW said:
    SGH said:
    Botch said:
    I would have thought anus would be a match made in heaven for sous vide.
    Anus is tough if it is under-cooked and tough when over-cooked.
    I would have thought sous vide would have put that anus right smack in the middle of the Goldilocks zone. A perfect Al dente, firm to the bite without being overly chewy. 
    The only place pig and/or goat anus is a "match made in heaven" is in Mississippi (just this side of Biloxi) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX