Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Katy Texas BBQ

Options
RedSkip
RedSkip Posts: 1,400
edited December 2016 in EggHead Forum
Any recommendations, I will be here all week with evenings to kill.  I'd prefer not to drive into the city of Houston if possible.
Large BGE - McDonald, PA

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @cazzy's crib
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yeah- not much out that way for bbq. Not much in Houston either. If I were you I would hit CaliKing up for some odd picks. He has a long list of places in strip malls that serve odd cuts in colon melting but delicious sauces. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SevenOaks
    Options
    Don't know about Katy but you'll have a hard time doing better than Gatlin's in Houston
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Where are you visiting from? There's some pretty decent eats here besides BBQ.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I can tell you to stay away from Goode Co, and Pappas Bros BBQ and anything else in a fancy building. I think there is a Rudy's out there. It's serviceable but not what you would consider real badass tx bbq
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RedSkip
    Options
    On business from Pittsburgh, PA. I did a Yelp search and found a few small places but nothing stood out.  Perhaps it will be more Mexican cuisine this go around.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I say this whenever  someone visits Houston, but Chinatown here is pretty damn awesome. The restaurants in 9889 Bellaire will keep you busy for the week . If you like Chinese food, let me know. there are some great Szechuan places . 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Rudy's is your only option here.  You'll have to visit Houston (Gatlin's BBQ), Spring (Cork Screw BBQ) or Pearland (Killer's BBQ) to find anything remotely special.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Rudys is consistent with their brisket, and pretty darn good. A bit peppery to me, and smoked on location. Not brisket hunter good I suppose, but not half bad at all. I'm glad we have them around there in TX. Very casual atmosphere with outdoor patio park bench seating and gas pumps out front. Also, they have beer and many tasty sides that you can choose from. Creamed corn is good, new potatoes are good, banana wafer pudding is Mmm Mmm good. I think I'll eat there tomorrow. I have a coupon for 1/2lb brisket they sent me on my birthday. You should try it out.
    Gittin' there...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rudy's. Breakfast burritos are good, first thing in the morning. Get charged started anyway.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • txhawkeye
    Options
    If you want to stay in Katy I would go with Mexican Rudys a good option go BBQ but nothing special. 
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @caliking, @cazzy, @FearlessTheEggNoob, @The Cen-Tex Smoker, @YukonRon, @txhawkeye

Thanks for the inside edge, I'll head downtown sometime this week to try out a "special" BBQ joint.  Sounds like central or mid-west/west Texas may be the better hot spots for Q.

Appreciate you're fellas opinions and time to share.  Thanks!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • 375Texan
    Options
    Papa Charlie's BBQ in downtown Houston.  Owned by a friend of mine who is a hell of a brisket cook.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Rudy's was spot on today! I tore through a pound of moist plus 2 sides in no time flat. I passed on the banana pudding though...cuz I'm on a diet.

It indeed happened. I got pictures of some dirty plastic forks laying on greasy butcher paper splattered with BBQ sause if anyone's interested.
    Gittin' there...
  • cazzy
    Options
    At Rudy's, order a "super moist" brisket.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Don't know anything in Katy but here are 4 that no one has mentioned:

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    Options

I mentioned CS, but it is in Spring.  I didn't care for Roegels.  While it's cool that he's part of brisket camp at A&M, I felt his meat was under smoked and under seasoned.  Nice guy, though.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    cazzy said:

I mentioned CS, but it is in Spring.  I didn't care for Roegels.  While it's cool that he's part of brisket camp at A&M, I felt his meat was under smoked and under seasoned.  Nice guy, though.
    Roegels is evolving for sure - I had the pastrami last week and was blown away. I wouldn't hesitate to go again, some days are just off days. His stuff was crud when it was Baker Street.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker