Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What would you pay for this table?

Options

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Isn't cedar a really soft wood as well?
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Cedar is expensive because it is resistant to rot and insects I think, but it is as soft or likely softer than pine. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Cedar is expensive because it is resistant to rot and insects I think, but it is as soft or likely softer than pine. 
    Cedar is more expensive than pine because pine is far more plentiful in most markets.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    supply and demand sets prices
    Options
    unless you are a drug company
    Options
    yes, but why is there a demand for cedar?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Because redwood is so much more expensive (in demand).

• pgprescott
    Options
    Legume said:

I would partially agree. It's in demand largely because it is resistant to rot and insects naturally. Otherwise, the consumer would likely choose a harder species of wood.
  • DHEgger
    Options
    I do a ton of woodworking...very nice.  Very Nice.  Nothing wrong with pine IMHO.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am hoping to win one in the Great Slovelad Christmas give away. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    @northGAcock great idea! I'm having a contest ! One entry fee is $400 and everyone wins!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    slovelad said:
    @northGAcock great idea! I'm having a contest ! One entry fee is $400 and everyone wins!
    Only the government gets deals like that. 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I remember when this wasn't a retail site.
    Almost time for a instant contest 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    Expensive wood takes longer to grow. Pines are one of the fastest growing trees out there. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Legume said:

I would partially agree. It's in demand largely because it is resistant to rot and insects naturally. Otherwise, the consumer would likely choose a harder species of wood.
    That's it.  I give up.  Bye.
    Options
    I think it looks good and is a fair price. The granite tile under the egg would be a must. They're like $8 at the big box hardware store. Also an optional drawer under the egg would be nice 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Legume
    Options
    It sounds like $400 is fair for that table.  From the comments it also sounds like most people would pay more for more options.  That's going to be less than half what they have into their eggs.

To address the weather/rot resistant concerns raised, you could just do a cedar top on it, not do the whole thing in cedar.  Or offer cedar for a $, if someone is going to have that table exposed vs under a patio cover or something.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2016
    Options
    But do you have a website listing upgrade options?  Link :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Legume said:
    It sounds like $400 is fair for that table.  From the comments it also sounds like most people would pay more for more options.  That's going to be less than half what they have into their eggs.

To address the weather/rot resistant concerns raised, you could just do a cedar top on it, not do the whole thing in cedar.  Or offer cedar for a $, if someone is going to have that table exposed vs under a patio cover or something.

Isn't that what covers are for?

• Tspud1
    Options
    Options? we don't need no stinkin options
  • DHEgger
    Options
    KREG Jig is an incredible tool is it not?
  • Legume
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Legume said:

Sure, if you're the type of person that covers everything.  I don't and can't imagine I'm alone, so pine would be out for me.  Just an opinion.
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Legume said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Legume said:

Sure, if you're the type of person that covers everything.  I don't and can't imagine I'm alone, so pine would be out for me.  Just an opinion.

Works for me, I don't cover everything either. But I do cover my cookers
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options

Really? @Tspud1 :lol:

@NPHuskerFL No disrespect, but: Dude he's a college kid trying to make a few bucks on the side, "locally". He's not pushing a website (doubtful he even has one) or trying to market a retail store. He simply asked for opinions from the forum what we thought it was worth. And most gave advice/opinions.  Why the need to turn it into something it's not without at least offering advise? Seems possibly you are still upset with buffalo and taking it out on his thread. At least he is not (<assumption) out robbing/stealing for extra cash. Sorry I couldn't keep my mouth shut. *Insert the peace emoticon here*
    Snellville, GA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan Wasn't poking at the OP.  Poking at Buffalo.  I'm not upset at all.  And hopefully OP has much success in his table venture.  
    FWIW @slovelad the table looks good.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I completely understand Husker. Maybe I took it the wrong way and I apologize for that. 
    Snellville, GA

• Little Steven
    Options
    blasting said:

Some of the epic threads have been new people trying to sell stuff in their first posts.  That mini cooper for sale was great entertainment.  So was they guy trying to sell his dad's cutting boards.  Seems to me there was also a debacle involving t-shirts.

I don't mind @slovelad mentioning what he's doing though  - he's been a good poster and has been around a while.  Just don't work it into every post @slovelad , or we'll flag the hell out of ya!

I thought the same thing but he isn't really flogging it just asking a question. Can't blame a guy for that but I agree, I hate it when people try to business on here. Takes all the rage out of the regulars so it reduces the number of flame battles.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    You could add a grab bar that could be used to push/pull table or to hang a towel. drawer slides in area under egg or slide out tray. 
    Looks like very nice work, and $400 seems fair.  My suggestion would be slide out trays in the big cabinet.  I'm thinking of ways now to solve the problem of storing accessories... platesetter, Woo, Extended grate, cast iron grate, ceramic stones and extra grids.

All have a pretty good diameter, (to fit my XL), and need some kind of storage cabinet.  For your cabinet, I would measure the height of several accessories for the size BGE you intend to fit, and put shelves, (slide out would be nice), in the big cabinet spaced tall enough to fit those accessories.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan you nailed it. I don't have a website, although I get asked all the time if I do. I am reluctant to do so because then it turns into a job, and I really want this to stay a hobby lol I just always under price things and then say to myself "crap, I should've charged more"

@Tspud1 that's an awesome idea. I'm definetly going to take your advice on that one! The slide out basket is a great idea