Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on the Egg!

Options
My husband and I received a large Egg as a wedding gift from my dad (thanks, @FarmerTom!), and I cooked on it for the first time tonight. I'll be honest, I've been pretty intimidated by it for, oh, three months; but I think I'll be using it a lot more now! 

My first attempt was pretty basic - I put two 1-lb pork tenderloins on over indirect heat (roughly 340) for about an hour. I had some trouble getting the temp to stay up where I wanted it, but as a first-timer I'm pretty happy with the result. The pork was tender enough to cut with a fork, and it was super flavorful. :-)

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    You get more and more use to it. Just try not to get in a big hurry. I find when I take my time it's a little more of a zen/mediation time. Great stress reliever. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Oh and welcome to the  group and thanks for  sharing. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Congrats on the first cook. You never understand the magic until you play with the magic maker. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Your Dad gave you a great gift!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    That's my little girl.  She called on her way home from work and said she was going to cook a loin in the oven.  Told her to use their egg, nothing to it.  Looks mighty good for her first eggsperience.  And I have to give some thanks to @caliking.  It was he who I contacted to find a good egg dealer in Houston when we wanted to get them an egg.  Very helpful.  

You are a good dad @FarmerTom!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • mkat_13
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Your Dad gave you a great gift!
    Thanks! I'm pretty excited to get my hands dirty! If I make anything half as good as Dad, I'll be in good shape. 
  • kdatrio
    Options
    Wow great gift and wonderful cook. I did my first cook just a few weeks ago and have cooked about 15 times since including Thanksgiving Turkey. It gets in the blood quick! haha

Welcome to the cult...umm I mean group
    ##############################################################
    "I guess I have drank the kool-aid, hmmmm I bet kool-aid would taste good on the BGE"

1 - LBGE, 1 - "almost" retired gas grill
    Post office says Alexander, AR - but really in Avilla, AR

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    No....you mean cult. It's much more fitting. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    We need to get her husband on here too.  He's a hard core wood burner.  Does big cooks.  But I've seen pics of some cooks he's done on the egg.  Pretty impressive.  I've no doubt my daughter will soon surpass my meager skills on the egg.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome to the Egglife!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Welcome!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Welcome!
    Dyersburg, TN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Tenderloins are such a satisfying cook. You did good :)

And glad I could help an Egghead out @FarmerTom

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great gift and I believe you can learn a bit about brisket cooks from @FarmerTom.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bepier
    Bepier Posts: 22
    Options
    anton said:
    Welcome to the Egglife!
    Hahaha, hadn't heard that one before.
    Cumming, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    2nd Generation Eggers! Congrats and welcome. @FarmerTom Well done my friend, well done indeed.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  You'll have it down in a short period of time.  And congratulations.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Congratulations! (on the wedding and the egg). Welcome to the group. This is a great group of folks, who are more than willing to help, offer advice and help spend your money. Please don't hesitate to ask for help and have fun with the new egg!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Jellyworm
    Options
    Welcome aboard to great forum!
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Wow....great post. I have a couple of adult children myself. My daughter and son in law just got offer / acceptance on a house. the apartment living limitation is about to come off. I'll be ponying up for one in the near future. @FarmerTom I know you are a proud papa. @mkat_13 welcome aboard. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to my daughter. She said she was a little worried her loin cook wouldn't be received well, being so simple.  I assured her that was not the way folks on here behaved.  Always encouraging and helpful no matter how simple the cook. However, if politics become involved, then anything goes and all semblance of decorrum is abandoned. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great first cook..  you should be proud!!  More to come I know....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to my daughter. She said she was a little worried her loin cook wouldn't be received well, being so simple.  I assured her that was not the way folks on here behaved.  Always encouraging and helpful no matter how simple the cook. However, if politics become involved, then anything goes and all semblance of decorrum is abandoned. 
    I feel like on the simpler cooks it just stands out even more how much better most things taste on the BGE.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    texaswig said:
    You get more and more use to it. Just try not to get in a big hurry. I find when I take my time it's a little more of a zen/mediation time. Great stress reliever. 
    absolutely!  I love knowing I have a good 20-30 minutes to chill with an adult beverage while the egg gets to temp.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Starting simple is the best advice.  Work your way up and gain confidence as you go.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @FarmerTom: On an unrelated note, I'm getting married next month. Also, are you looking to adopt?
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Great story, truly very sweet. it just speaks to the aura that the Egg produces. It  is so warm and comforting to family and friends. I tell you the truth I love the food that comes of my egg. But I actually like the whole social environment that develops around it, more. If that makes any sense.