Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax or Mini-Meh?

Options

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Been real happy with my MM. I have a woo....and a cast iron grate. I have no issues with getting it up (on any front) and find it ideal for searing. We all have our opinions though....and respectfully, sounds like you are a unhappy camper on the MM front. If you want to off load it....i would be happy to haul it off for you. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Not sure why your having difficulty if you've got all the goodies :confounded:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Whoa whoa whoa. Hold up . Where are the naan pics??? Separate thread?
    it was a mixed bag. They didn't stick to the wok very well so most fell on to the grid. They cooked fine there for the most part. Didn't get any pics of it though. That's a pretty fast process. I did kind of map out the process you and discussed with the stones and the AR. I'll take a pic of that and see what you think.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Disregard. double post
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I can hijack my own thread I guess. 

Here is the naan setup I was thinking about. AR on top of grid to catch any jumpers. Angle oval stone from grid level to top of AR facing front of egg. Lift stone and stick naan to the bottom. Set back down and watch it cook. You can see the naan and it can see the fire. Thoughts?

this is set on top of the AR ring:

This is with AR set in top notches (most stable)

Lift stone, stick naan and set it back on crossbar to cook

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I must admit I was in the same camp as @The Cen-Tex Smoker when I first got my MM. Cooked a few items both direct and direct. Had hell with temp control going wild. Then as most have, I went to work with trial and error cooks to figure out what was going on.
    First thing was to remove the lower vent on apply a complete seal of clear silicon on the back and not just the the tid bit on top and bottom edge. Then tighten the screen and cover door by increasing the bend to tighten both in the tracks.
    Next was to get a better seal between the base and dome. Had to adjust both bands a few times once the gasket settled in.
    Then got the CGS Woo. Worked with it for a while them asked Tom add handles to keep the grid from spinning and add some round bar S/S to the bottom 3 contact points to give me a bit more height so I did not have any play when using the plate setter. It sets on the woo structure and not the fire ring. And increase the distance between the grid and plate setter.
    And the final was to replace the poor fitting stock cooking grate. I had a custom 3/8 S/S bar at 1/2" spacing made to fit my Woo with handles.
    Now I can do both a direct and indirect cook at 230-250, if needed, with great temp control in all temp ranges.
    Now I'm extremely happy with it!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I must admit I was in the same camp as @The Cen-Tex Smoker when I first got my MM. Cooked a few items both direct and direct. Had hell with temp control going wild. Then as most have, I went to work with trial and error cooks to figure out what was going on.
    First thing was to remove the lower vent on apply a complete seal of clear silicon on the back and not just the the tid bit on top and bottom edge. Then tighten the screen and cover door by increasing the bend to tighten both in the tracks.
    Next was to get a better seal between the base and dome. Had to adjust both bands a few times once the gasket settled in.
    Then got the CGS Woo. Worked with it for a while them asked Tom add handles to keep the grid from spinning and add some round bar S/S to the bottom 3 contact points to give me a bit more height so I did not have any play when using the plate setter. It sets on the woo structure and not the fire ring. And increase the distance between the grid and plate setter.
    And the final was to replace the poor fitting stock cooking grate. I had a custom 3/8 S/S bar at 1/2" spacing made to fit my Woo with handles.
    Now I can do both a direct and indirect cook at 230-250, if needed, with great temp control in all temp ranges.
    Now I'm extremely happy with it!

sweet! just need $200 more in mods and more practice and I'm all set! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. Just surprised at the way it has behaved so far. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    Brother Tex, I have a MM as well as Kamado Joe Jr. I hate to say this on BGE's forum, but I honestly prefer the Jr. over the MM. You should of went red my friend. 
    I bought a small just before the MM was announced. I was kicking myself wishing I had waited. And then the MM was delayed, and delayed, and I was glad I hadn't waited. Then the KJ Jr. was on a one-day sale at Ace for stupid cheap and I picked one up. Portable and works about the same as the small. And then I started seeing reports of odd performance on the MM, and I was glad things worked out like they did.
    odd is a great way to describe it. I have been doing this for 10 years and I can't figure the thing out. Tonight I grilled 3 lamb leg steaks on it at normal grid level. Like 1" over the lump that had been running a wok for 20 minutes. It was hot. Put the steaks on closed the dome and after 2-3 minutes it barely had any grill marks or browning but they were getting firm. I flipped and left the dome open  to try to get some color without overcooking them with about the same results. they were gray on the outside and overdone by 10 degrees. Total crap. Last time, same set up, thighs were charcoal on the outside and raw in the middle. It's all over the place. 

that is a bummer.  esp when you can bang out a better steak on a grill that costs 10x less.

you allude to a larger problem - I think a ceramic grill is not always the best... how do I say this politely.... grill.  There's a certain fire and temperature spot where it's enough to get all the ceramics hot enough to cook the poor piece of meat nice and grey from all sides, but not hot enough on the coal side to get the browning and sear done quickly.

When it happens on the small, I'll stand there and crack the egg about an inch, like a half burp, and watch to see that the flames are growing out of the coals.  Kind of a hassle.  But usually I can get the small ripping hot enough to get the sear done quickly and not overcook the meat.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    While I haven't cooked on a minimax, I sure wish my small had a larger draft door. In my opinion, the small would benefit from a draft door somewhere between the one on the mini and the medium. My small is my least favorite to cook on. It takes twice as long to come to temp as the mini or the medium. It works great once it gets there but indirect cooks are a very slow start for me.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    SGH said:
     what am I missing? 
    A Smokeware Cap and center cut lump ;)
    I knew I was missing something. I couldn't get it hot enough so I bought a KA basket. Little better? I guess. I have all the toys but the center cut lump. That has to be it

I bought a Kick Ash basket last week. Hell of a difference.  Gets up to temperature a lot quicker. 
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Kick Ash basket giving me the air flow in my MM
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I enjoy threads like these.....I've had my large for10 years and at some point will pull the trigger on a second egg. Leaning towards the small for versatility in the amount of lump it would hold....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Oops you said Naan.

I'd eat that one for sure... but it aint naan :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    I agree with Jason. Our MM is great for quick cooks during the week, uses far less lump than my medium and comes up to temp fast. Agree on the gap between the lump and grid, but since I use it for small cooks, and got a WOO it is really no problem.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • blind99
    Options
    @caliking you're probably just used to your region's naan.  @nphuskerfl is from a really unique part of india, where they eat their naan with pepperoni, called "Florida"
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I need to make me some Texas naan - with brisket.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @caliking

That is Naan bread.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @caliking you're probably just used to your region's naan.  @nphuskerfl is from a really unique part of india, where they eat their naan with pepperoni, called "Florida"
    Don't forget Halloween candies :lol:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    I have a small so the mini max, while the cool thing on the block, never made sense to me. Interested to see replies. 
    Haven't seen you around in a while Scott. Glad to have you back buddy. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @caliking

That is Naan bread.
    With due respect, that's like saying Dickie's is bbq.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @caliking Agree only especially since I have no idea of what your kind of Naan is (but, interested in learning different cultures).  
    Regarding the BBQ though...

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I will say this, it may, or may not, help but I had some of the issues you listed and was perplexed.
    I used my MM a lot. So much in fact, the second time I did a total clean out, which I do after every 5 cooks ( disassemble the inside components and ash removal) and figured it out, by seeing it, from the inside.
    I was having air flow problems, giving inconsistant cooks, and could not figure out why, as I have always kept it in good clean shape, with  the then, "recently added", KAB.
    The screen on the lower air intake had become seriously clogged. Cleaned it with a brush, and boom! Big heat in a hurry, much easier to maintain. I do that with all my cleans now.
    I checked my XL, same thing.
    I felt like a bigger idiot than I already am.
    Fixed my problem and I have to say, never been happier.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Tex, I have a MM as well as Kamado Joe Jr. I hate to say this on BGE's forum, but I honestly prefer the Jr. over the MM. You should of went red my friend. 
    yeah- cooked on one and I'm with you on that one. 
    How come?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    yeah- cooked on one and I'm with you on that one. 
    How come?
    They are great. Performed way better than my MM. and they are half the price. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker you had me at a price and that's coming from somebody that likes their Mini Max :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No matter how we feel about the MM I think we can all agree that Valentina's brisket is incredible. Seriously might be the best I've had. 

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    I bought a small just before the MM was announced. I was kicking myself wishing I had waited. And then the MM was delayed, and delayed, and I was glad I hadn't waited. Then the KJ Jr. was on a one-day sale at Ace for stupid cheap and I picked one up. Portable and works about the same as the small. And then I started seeing reports of odd performance on the MM, and I was glad things worked out like they did.
    odd is a great way to describe it. I have been doing this for 10 years and I can't figure the thing out. Tonight I grilled 3 lamb leg steaks on it at normal grid level. Like 1" over the lump that had been running a wok for 20 minutes. It was hot. Put the steaks on closed the dome and after 2-3 minutes it barely had any grill marks or browning but they were getting firm. I flipped and left the dome open  to try to get some color without overcooking them with about the same results. they were gray on the outside and overdone by 10 degrees. Total crap. Last time, same set up, thighs were charcoal on the outside and raw in the middle. It's all over the place. 
    Frustrating, huh?

IMHO you are describing an airflow problem to a tee. Not a leak, a design issue. As lump burns small pieces fall and clog the air holes in the fire box. When this happens the fire gets choked and thus cooking temp is greatly reduced. However, those clogged pieces of lump eventually burn and fall to the bottom of the egg. Airflow is restored and the venturi effect of the egg is back to rising temperature quickly. On smaller size eggs, one clogged hole means a dramatic difference.

I am quite convinced the Large and XL eggs have so much volume that when this occurs there is little impact. However, for Medium and smaller eggs; even one plugged hole has a dramatic effect.

As a medium owner I suffered your described issue for a couple years. Trolling many of the posts here I wondered why other users weren't having the same difficulty I was. I believe it was because most folks own a Large or an XL.

The KAB saved my medium from being drop kicked into the neighbors yard.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bobroo said:
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    Frustrating, huh?

IMHO you are describing an airflow problem to a tee. Not a leak, a design issue. As lump burns small pieces fall and clog the air holes in the fire box. When this happens the fire gets choked and thus cooking temp is greatly reduced. However, those clogged pieces of lump eventually burn and fall to the bottom of the egg. Airflow is restored and the venturi effect of the egg is back to rising temperature quickly. On smaller size eggs, one clogged hole means a dramatic difference.

I am quite convinced the Large and XL eggs have so much volume that when this occurs there is little impact. However, for Medium and smaller eggs; even one plugged hole has a dramatic effect.

As a medium owner I suffered your described issue for a couple years. Trolling many of the posts here I wondered why other users weren't having the same difficulty I was. I believe it was because most folks own a Large or an XL.

The KAB saved my medium from being drop kicked into the neighbors yard.
    I have the KAB. didn't make any difference to speak of. That cook you saw last night was with a newly cleaned out egg, a new KAB, fresh lump, and the egg was ripping hot cooking naan in a wok for 30 minutes before I put the lamb steaks on. I thought the KAB would fix it but it didn't do much. Lights a little easier, gets a little hotter. I may get used to it. Just don't love the way it acts so far. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    god I need a nap. Valentina's put me on my knees. So good though.

• blind99
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Don't forget Halloween candies :lol:

@nphuskerfl that $hit's just genius!