Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Crab Legs ???

Options
If all you had was an egg how would you cook them?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    are you talking alaskan king or snow or florida stone?
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Snow crabs.  Sorry.  I should have mentioned that.  

analyze adapt overcome

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Are you sure they are actually fresh? Usually they are cooked right after they are caught on the ship and flash frozen.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm in the Gulf. They were supposedly the mornings catch. I'll need to check on the precooked aspect 

analyze adapt overcome

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm in the Gulf. They were supposedly the mornings catch. I'll need to check on the precooked aspect 
    Ok, then you might have actual fresh crab. I have no idea what to recommend.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I was counting on you. Lol

analyze adapt overcome

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    huh.  I always thought snow and king crabs were from cold water places.  picture perhaps? 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I stopped at the fish mongers this morning and grabbed some shrimp.  He also had what I thought were snow crab legs(not all big and rough on the outside) and he said they were fresh.  

Now I need to investigate a lil deeper.  

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Snow crabs.  Sorry.  I should have mentioned that.  
    I stopped at the fish mongers this morning and grabbed some shrimp.  He also had what I thought were snow crab legs(not all big and rough on the outside) and he said they were fresh.  

Now I need to investigate a lil deeper.  
    My brother, I have lived on the Gulf my whole life. Never saw a snow crab come out of the Gulf. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If all you had was an egg how would you cook them?
    As to the above, either raised direct or indirect to 140 degrees internal.  If you have truly raw crabs (I doubt that you do) then 160 degrees internal.  Any cooking temp from 200-450 degrees will work. A happy medium is 375 degrees. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Thank you @sgh   That explanation covers the whole spectrum of crab legs.   I'll let you know how they turn out

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969
    My pleasure brother. For reference, the above given temps are ideal finish temps. You should pull about 5 degrees prior to that target. 135 & 155 perspectively. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Grilling/baking Matt. Goes really fast. IT 135.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited October 2016
    Options
    +1 Never seen snow crab in the gulf, that's a cold water species. I assume the legs were in clusters, if the legs are long (i.e. 6in or longer) they are probably snow or king crab. Those are normally frozen then shipped, if it's a seafood market along the gulf they were frozen (at least until they were put in the window for sale). No one eats Blue crab or stone crab legs, not enough meat! I do love some snow crab legs and melted butter though!
    LBGE
    AL
  • SGH
    Options
    No one eats Blue crab 
    Brother Tide, I eat them in very large quantities. Blue crab and stone crab is excellent my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    SGH said:
    No one eats Blue crab 
    Brother Tide, I eat them in very large quantities. Blue crab and stone crab is excellent my friend. 

Oh Man!!!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    @SGH You're totally right! I guess I should have differentiated between legs and claws, aside from soft shell crab, most go straight for the claws instead of the legs on blue and stone crabs! Fried crab claws are my kryptonite =) and I'm always up for a softshell crab poboy!
    LBGE
    AL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That is living the life right there....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky