Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

APL Chicken Tender Satay with Sous Vide (with Pics)

Options
I talked about these awhile ago, but didn't get pics.  I managed to rectify that this time around.

The basic recipe is out of Adam Perry Lang's book Serious BBQ.  It's not online, but here are the ingredients for the marinade and glaze:

I pretty much followed this, but used a jalapeno.   The microplaning is kind of overkill for a marinade, especially since the recipe calls for you to blend everything up before sticking the tenders in for a soak.  

I marinaded these for 6 hrs, but instead of cooking them on the grill right away, I cooked them in the sous vide for 1 hr 15min at 60C.  I transferred them right from the marinade to the Foodsaver bags, so they basically cook in the marinade as well.  The flavor is insane. 

Then I let them cool in the fridge, before skewering them and then finishing them off on the BGE over high heat for just a few minutes a side.  One note is that the recipe doesn't make anywhere near enough glaze - so I tripled it.

Here are a few right off the BGE:

And the final set plated, drizzled with sesame oil, scallions, basil, and sesame seeds:

These are ... pretty awesome if I do say so myself.  The chicken is ridiculously tender and moist, and the lime really gets in to the meat.  Plus, since they've come out of the SV, you know they're completely cooked.  There are no concerns about undercooking them.  All you do on the BGE is add a little char.  

I'm thinking that a fun variant on this would be the jalamango lime marinade/glaze so many of you swear by.

Thanks for looking!
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments