Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A pot of crap.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
Here is a not so traditional red bean recipe that really leaves nothing to be desired. It requires a fair amount of stuff, but nothing uncommon or difficult to obtain. With that said, here she blows. 
For the beans:
2 pounds of Camellias:

For the base. 
1 pound of Andouille sausage.
1/2 pound of bacon. 

And 1 pound of seasoning blend. 

Chop up the Andouille and bacon. 

Start browning the bacon in a dry pan. After about a 3 minute head start, add the Andouille to the bacon. The object here is to get a good amount of pork grease built up. 

After a good amount of grease has built up, add the seasoning blend to the meat and grease. 

Keep frying until the vegetables absorb the greasy goodness. It should look similar to this or like a hippy in a windstorm. 

At this point, load the pot up with ham hocks. Throw them right on top of your meat and vegetables. 

Dump in enough chicken broth and/or stock to cover the hocks. 

At this point, pressure cook this concoction for 1 hour. The goal here is to cook the bacon, Andouille and vegetables down to nothing but a liquid. Only the ham hocks should remain for the most part. Everything else will be just about reduced to a liquid baste. There will be some remnants of the three, but that's fine and exactly what you want.  
Next, add your beans and spices. Here is what I add in the following pic. Note: If you are using a PC, do not add the salt until the cooking is complete. 

Now that your beans and spices is in the pot, add enough chicken stock to fill 3/5ths of the pot. Cook under pressure for 15-20 minutes depending on your PC. 
Open the pot and add 1 pound of hot sausage. I like Conecuh. Also add 1 pound of beef sausage. 

Here is a step that you can skip if you so chose. I like my grub pretty hot. As such, i marinate the beef sausage and cut up pork sausage in cayenne and liquid crab boil. 

Simply dump it on and cover for about 10 minutes. 

A honest to goodness warning here. The liquid crab boil is extremely potent. Very few sissys or whimps will be able to stand the heat. Use at your own peril as only you know how tough that you are. 
Next, add this to the pot and cook under pressure for 1-3 minutes depending on your PC. 

And that's all she wrote. Open it up and enjoy almost 2 gallons of fiery pork sausage, beef sausage, ham hocks and beans. All cooked in sausage and bacon grease. 

As always, I hope that y'all enjoy this simple southern delight. And thanks for taking a peek my friends. I know that time is money and every second counts. With that said, may your hair grow well beyond you arse. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I'll take a bowl of that! 
    Snellville, GA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    99% fat-free chicken broth?! 

REAL men use 75-80% fat free chicken broth. 

Looks good Scottie, I guess you're getting all healthy on us, not a bad thing though.  Don't let the lodge people find out or you might be on fez decoration duty for a while.  ;)
    That's a potent brew!  Looks great!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I lost track of all the different meats and sausages in there. There were beans in it, right? All kidding aside that looks mighty fine to me. I don't think simple has to mean ordinary; I truly think simple food shared with family and friends is a slice of heaven. Thanks for posting.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • prtsman133
    Options
    I must try that. Thanks for the post.

1 XL Big Green Egg with the adjustable rig, One Mini Max and 1 Kamado Joe Classic.

Luttrell TN

• fergi
    fergi Posts: 138
    edited October 2016
    Options
    That looks great @SGH but is that as close as we're going to get to a recipe? Some of those bottles are either unlabeled or hidden (not to mention the amounts). Would pinto beans work just as well as kidney beans?

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This needs to be a brisket camp cook
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    My, Oh My, Oh My......that is one pot of deliciousness.  
    IL 
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    You be the man!

Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I'm in a for big bowl of that goodness! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I was just going to say the same thing, what will it take to make that happen Scottie?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SGH
    edited October 2016
    Options
    fergi said:
    That looks great @SGH but is that as close as we're going to get to a recipe? Some of those bottles are either unlabeled or hidden (not to mention the amounts). Would pinto beans work just as well as kidney beans?
    As far as the pinto beans, if you like pinto beans, then absolutely. 

As to the amounts:
    2 tablespoons of Tony Chacheries. 
    2 tablespoons of Everglades all purpose. 
    2 tablespoons of garlic powder. 
    4 Bay leaves. 
    2 tablespoons of Red pepper flakes. 
    1 handful of cayenne. Literally as much as I can hold in the big hand. If I had to guess how much that is, I would say 4 tablespoons. 
    2 tablespoons of course black pepper. That's what is in the unlabeled bottle that you mentioned. 
    2 tablespoons of liquid crab boil. You honestly may want to start with only one to see if the heat is to much. All kidding aside, it's extremely potent. 
    4 tablespoons of salt. Note: If you use a PC for this recipe, then add the salt once the cooking is complete. Not while cooking. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    This was a practice run to see if it was honestly as good as I remembered it being. Going to rub 5 gallons at brisket camp along with stuffed chickens.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This was a practice run to see if it was honestly as good as I remembered it being. Going to run 5 gallons at brisket camp along with stuffed chickens.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Made some rice and cheese biscuits to go with it. 

Status- Standing by.

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    SGH said:
    This was a practice run to see if it was honestly as good as I remembered it being. Going to rub 5 gallons at brisket camp along with stuffed chickens.  
    Sweet. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    That looks outstanding! All of my favorite things. I have to try this out. I have some in our household that can't take spicy, but have learned to serve them something else while I indulge in the dark side, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Dredger said:
    That looks outstanding! All of my favorite things. I have to try this out. I have some in our household that can't take spicy, but have learned to serve them something else while I indulge in the dark side, lol.
    Sister, not blowing my own horn here, but this dish is fantastic. It has 3 different kinds of sausage in it (2 pork and 1 beef), bacon, ham hocks, and even a few beans ;) As a carnivore, you almost have to like it =)
    I hope that you give this one a try. I would love to hear your opinion of it. 
    And thank you for the kind words and compliments. 

Status- Standing by.

• fergi
    fergi Posts: 138
    Options
    SGH said:
    fergi said:
    As far as the pinto beans, if you like pinto beans, then absolutely. 

As to the amounts:
    2 tablespoons of Tony Chacheries. 
    2 tablespoons of Everglades all purpose. 
    2 tablespoons of garlic powder. 
    4 Bay leaves. 
    2 tablespoons of Red pepper flakes. 
    1 handful of cayenne. Literally as much as I can hold in the big hand. If I had to guess how much that is, I would say 4 tablespoons. 
    2 tablespoons of course black pepper. That's what is in the unlabeled bottle that you mentioned. 
    2 tablespoons of liquid crab boil. You honestly may want to start with only one to see if the heat is to much. All kidding aside, it's extremely potent. 
    4 tablespoons of salt. Note: If you use a PC for this recipe, then add the salt once the cooking is complete. Not while cooking. 
    Thanks! I'll try this soon.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    A jar of Ragu thrown in there, would take this dish to the highest level.  =)

You had me at Conecuh.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Liking those biscuits @SGH. Car to expand on them?
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    In all my 75 plus years I don't believe there was a single instance when I could say, "That's a mighty fine looking pot of crap you have there."  Until now...  

That's a mighty fine looking pot of crap you have there.

Spring "Sometimes You Have To Say What Needs Saying" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    In all my 75 plus years I don't believe there was a single instance when I could say, "That's a mighty fine looking pot of crap you have there."  Until now...  

That's a mighty fine looking pot of crap you have there.

Spring "Sometimes You Have To Say What Needs Saying" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

If only someone had a "flush of approval".

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Dang Scottie!  You cook that on the soup setting (mid pressure) for 1 hour?  

I bet that is a rich soup.  I could pound a couple bowls of that.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Crap Scottie, that looks great!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wow! Just...WOW!! That looks good. That and some cornbread after a cold front blows through sounds just up my alley.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    So if I dont use a pressure cooker the plan would be to spend all day drinking beer and cooking it slow to get the desired outcome in a large cast iron pot?
    Is that the reasonong for the PC to cook beans and get the hocks tender quicker? 

• SGH
    Options
    Sammi said:
    Liking those biscuits @SGH. Car to expand on them?
    I'm going to be a little bit honest here. As good as the biscuits look, they sucked. I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board and give it another go. I would gladly share the recipe if they would have turned out what I was shooting for. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    tz666 said:
    So if I dont use a pressure cooker the plan would be to spend all day drinking beer and cooking it slow to get the desired outcome in a large cast iron pot?
    Is that the reasonong for the PC to cook beans and get the hocks tender quicker? 
    That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Instead of taking all day to break down the hocks and beans, the PC will shorten the cook time to less than 2 hours for everything. This recipe works equally well in a crockpot or Dutch oven. It just takes longer. 

Status- Standing by.