Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Brisket is on!

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dstearn said:
    lousubcap said:
    This is one of those times-given you have cooked prior briskets then you know how close it is to hitting the promised land.  I would judge based on the volume of the thickest part-is the resistance across the entire flat to point seam or just pockets?  If random pockets then I would declare victory, if a great majority then I would hang on for a while longer.  But it's your brisket...
    I have declared Victory!
    good lord. That looks incredible.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Tasty eats await. Nicely done. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I have been watching quietly as I have an SRF in the freezer from the sale a few weeks back.  I bought two 16lbs-ers.  Looks awesome and I am sure it will be.  Great job!!! :o
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Quiet Please it's resting.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    My mouth is watering!  What's the plan for the point?   Just slice at the same time as the flat and serve all together?   
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    My mouth is watering!  What's the plan for the point?   Just slice at the same time as the flat and serve all together?   
    Cube it up and serve. Melt in yo mouth!
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    SRF are typically way too fatty IMO to do that.  At least the 3 that I have had.  They've all needed a good extra 3 hours.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    SRF are typically way too fatty IMO to do that.  At least the 3 that I have had.  They've all needed a good extra 3 hours.
    I've heard that as well.  I assume you have to make that call - to cube and serve with the point or cut off and put back on the smoker - as soon as you remove it from the egg the first time?   You wouldn't FTC and then realize the point is too fatty and throw it back on for 3 hours when guest arrive.   

Debating my strategy on the Restaurant Depot brisket I picked up yesterday. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    SRF gold. Cubed and served. Comments were "melt in your mouth"

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Checked at 185 however my meat probe was in the point not the flat. Relocated the probe and it is now 178. 
    Looks amazing...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dstearn
    Options
    The brisket was the best I have cooked so far. A couple things I learned. Either start the cook a few hours earlier or cook,at 250 grate instead of 225.
    Let the brisket sit out longer after removing from FTC as the point was steaming and difficult to slice. The Flat was moist throughout.

• tikigriller
    Options
    I feel like I can taste it through my phone.  Great post to follow through your day!!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • byrne092
    Options
    Awesome! Nice post to follow too, sounds like you nailed it. 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • AEgger
    Options
    Thanks for the pics throughout. Q: did you feel the SFR was worth it?
    AEgger; griller of the house in NC; lg and sm egg
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Nailed it-congrats on the cook and eats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I am jellllly, I have a SRF brisket coming this month, but I haven't decided on the day I'll cook it up. Decisions decisions
  • dstearn
    Options
    AEgger said:
    Thanks for the pics throughout. Q: did you feel the SFR was worth it?
    Yes and I would order once again. It had a more beefy flavor and I feel it was a more forgiving cook due to the fat content. 
  • dstearn
    Options
    Thanks! I may have been better off just letting it rest on the counter for an hour or so in paper instead of FTC. There is always next time. 
    lousubcap said:
    Nailed it-congrats on the cook and eats.  

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Late to the game, but wowsa! Sammiches today I assume. Looks great!
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Good plan but don't be surprised if you end up in the low 200's before that flat lets loose and probes like buttah.  Great eats await.  
    For an SRF, it is likely to be done lower than 200 (my bet is 185 - 190)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    20stone said:
    lousubcap said:
    Good plan but don't be surprised if you end up in the low 200's before that flat lets loose and probes like buttah.  Great eats await.  
    I've read that and experienced that on a black, the gold I cooked last weekend went 204ish and the flat was still a little underdone in places. 
  • dstearn
    Options
    20stone said:
    lousubcap said:
    I've read that and experienced that on a black, the gold I cooked last weekend went 204ish and the flat was still a little underdone in places. 
    My 13 LB trimmed SRF took 17 hrs before I pulled it.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Looks good, which I had a few slices.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• flexfusion
    Options
    Your brisket looks magnificent.....how long was the cook and what kind of charcoal did you use?  Going to buy a quality brisket myself for my next cook I'm tired of buying junk.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    That looks fabulous
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That's one of the best looking Briskets I've ever seen
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Tblack
    Options
    Awesome cook...looks great
    LBGE 
    Pike Road,Al

• dstearn
    Options
    Your brisket looks magnificent.....how long was the cook and what kind of charcoal did you use?  Going to buy a quality brisket myself for my next cook I'm tired of buying junk.  
    Thanks, it took over 16 hours at 225 grate. Rockwood with Post Oak chunks.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Nice job! Looks delicious.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!