Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Help Me Choose A Vehicle (Ridgeline Spinoff Kinda)

Options
13»

Comments

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Yeah I'm leaning this way, I've had my eyes on an outback for a while.
    We have an outback as well as the Ram, great car... Does get a little crammed with 2 kids, dog, and all the strollers, boogie boards, scooters... Etc

handles like a champ in the snow 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Another truck vote
    Nice!  Would kill for a Black Diamond Edition Z71 Av in Fairway Green Metallic.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Get a nice 2 seat sports car for most of you daily driving.  Then a used pickup that seats 6, a big bed, and put a liability only policy on it.  Drive it when you need it over your sports car.  Win. Everybody else: Sad.
    Options
    Check the tow rating of the Outback before you go that route and make sure it can safely tow the trailer and amount you plan to haul. You have to add trailer weight, cargo weight, and passenger weight.

Some will recommend a Toyota Tacoma, but honestly, I know people who have done that to try to save gas and they soon figure out their mpg is the same as a full size truck. So they kick themselves for trading down and end up losing money going back to a full size truck a year later. Or they buy a full size truck and a beater car for the daily work commute.

Love my Tundra and it's my daily driver (other than the motorcycle occasionally). I need the room in the truck too often to not have it. 16 foot trailer, boat, haul the ATV, head out to the ranch, hunting trips, can't do that in a car. Heck, I've had to use the winch in the front bumper a few times to get myself and others unstuck.

I think for your situation, the best thing would be a small SUV and a small trailer. My cousin used to haul his family and golden retriever around in an Outback, it seemed very crowded with just 1 kid. They traded it in before the 2nd kid.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For what you're doing, and the weight intended to pull, an Outback with trailer is your best bet.

I would have to guess, 75% of the Americans that own a truck, don't use it like one.  Owning a quad cab is the cool thang these days in suburbia.

I'm usually not one to recommend pulling anything with a car.  Pulled my camper (4000lbs) with my brother's 4Runner.  It sucked, compared to my full size Chevy.  Bounced around, got pushed to the center line a couple of times, braking sucked.

Some bags of mulch or stone from the store is fine.  I used my blazer with the seats down for this all the time.  Made additional runs if necessary.  

Plenty of jackwagons on the road doing stupid stuff.  Don't be one of them.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• MN-Egger
    Options
    I have a long driveway that I plow. See, I have an excuse to have my truck!  :)

--
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I know that was a lot of rambling, I hope you are able to understand some of it.  I feel like the smart economic decision is to drive my Accord until it starts to cost too much in maintenance and rent a pickup for the few times I need one.  Then, once the Accord goes to auto heaven, grab a used Outback and get on with life (continuing to rent pickups when I need them or get a trailer).  That said, I've always wanted a truck... talk me in to one guys!
    this is funny, I had the same combination of vehicles; an accord for daily driving and an old beat up pick up truck for many years for slop hauling.  As my hauling days winded down (all major home projects done, rental property sold off), I found I was only needing the pick up maybe once/twice year, & when I say 'need' that may even be a stretch.  I eventually sold the pick up, passed the Accord down to my daughter & picked up a Subaru Crosstrek, love hatchbacks as they'll do for 90+% of what I used to use the pick up for & when it's not enough (one time in the 2 & 1/2 years I've had the Subaru) my buddy picked up my new dryer in his pickup, saved me $50.  Interestingly the dryer would've fit into the Subaru but would've required unboxing it so I imposed on my buddy, the easier route. 

I think the bottom line in these situations is need v. want; if you don't have a work need for a truck & don't have the frequent home related need for one, and money is an issue, it makes no sense as they're not efficient in that respect.  If those things aren't an issue & you just really want one nothing else is gonna do.  And they're fun.

By the way, 32mpg average as tracked over the initial 10,000 miles in this thing at an average speed of 27mph (my commute is rather slow going, no highways), & it's unstoppable in the worst possible conditions:

you can haul a lot of yoga mats in this puppy, & isn't that what's important
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Thanks All!

It's basically boiled down to 2 scenarios:

1. I get an outback/forester/crosstrek and use it as my daily driver ~60 miles a day.  This gives us both 4 door vehicles and satisfies the requirement for one snow capable vehicle in the stable, I'm also happy because I get a new (to me) car.  As stated a bunch here these vehicles can handle pretty much everything I'd need a truck for (especially the outback) and if I picked up a utility trailer I'd be set for everything.  In 5 years or so when we pay off this vehicle, we would shop for something larger (see scenario below) for SWMBO to drive as we are likely to have 2 kids by then.

2. We buy a medium sized SUV or a minivan, it becomes SWMBO's daily (2mile round trip), and I drive her civic for my commute.  Vehicles considered here include: pilot, highlander, edge, explorer, murano, odyssey, sienna, sedona, and I'm partial to the minivan but SWMBO is stuck on the stigma of driving a minivan (if commutes were reversed, I'd rock the hell out of a van).  I'm not as as happy with this scenario as I'd get stuck driving her civic which is pretty vanilla but it makes economic sense.   
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    if all you're doing is shlepping back & forth to work carrying yourself & your lunchbox what difference does it make if you're driving a civic; don't underestimate the value of 'economic sense', if you exercise it you'd be in the minority.

Think about it, spending twice as much on something else that does the same thing because it's strawberry instead of vanilla really only means you've now gotta work twice as much to pay for the same end result; I guess your question is - is your time worth more than extra hours working in this life?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    I had a 2007 GMC Canyon that my wife totaled when I was on deployment in 09. Came back and bought a Chevy Silverado. That thing has been across the country four times pulling various loads. I will never be without a truck again (even though SWMBO constantly complains about MPG). 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I just saw that there is going to be a 2018 Chevrolet Equinox in a diesel version. It's supposed to get 40 mpg on the highway. Also since it's Government Motors, you know the Economy Prevention Agency won't give them a hassle.
  • Texag06ish
    Texag06ish Posts: 135
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you get a truck, buy a Tundra. When I made the switch from a car to truck I started with a GMC Sierra. I'm not a huge fan of American cars due to past experience but my thought was, if we can get anything right, it's a truck, right? WRONG. I drove it for less than 14 months before trading it in (luckily the second hand truck is strong in Texas and I broke even on the deal). No complaints since switching to the Tundra. 
  • Phatchris
    Options
    Focker said:
    For what you're doing, and the weight intended to pull, an Outback with trailer is your best bet.

I would have to guess, 75% of the Americans that own a truck, don't use it like one.  Owning a quad cab is the cool thang these days in suburbia.

I'm usually not one to recommend pulling anything with a car.  Pulled my camper (4000lbs) with my brother's 4Runner.  It sucked, compared to my full size Chevy.  Bounced around, got pushed to the center line a couple of times, braking sucked.

Some bags of mulch or stone from the store is fine.  I used my blazer with the seats down for this all the time.  Made additional runs if necessary.  

That's because a quad cab truck can do everything a full-size SUV can and more for  10-20k less.
  • Holepuncher
    Options
    Lit said:
    I didn't read any of this but trucks are expensive to buy and commute. If you only need a truck sometimes homedepot has them for like $20 for 2 hours. We have a 4 runner and I still rent a uhaul when I go to the dump cause I don't want a nail in my tire. Based on your post you don't want to spend a lot of money any decent truck with low miles is gonna be $20k plus.

Cheaper than payments. There may be other cost come up with a house.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Focker
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    Focker said:

That's because a quad cab truck can do everything a full-size SUV can and more for  10-20k less.
    Bwahahahahaha
    Have you priced a truck lately?

Not a fan at all of these short 5ft ish boxes now on quad cabs, most are a glorified SUVs.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Focker said:
    Phatchris said:
    Focker said:

Bwahahahahaha

Not a fan at all of these short 5ft ish boxes now on quad cabs, most are a glorified SUVs.  

A base GMC Yukon 4x4 is around $51k. A base GMC 1500 4x4 Crewcab is around $40k. $11k extra for a hatchback station wagon.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    A station wagon that can pull almost 9000. lmao

There are 3 others that do hit 9K or more.  The Yukon is a much better "all around" choice IMO.

http://www.autobytel.com/sport-utility-vehicles/car-buying-guides/10-suvs-with-the-best-towing-capacity-for-2016-130263/

An Acadia is a more accurate Subaru Outback SUV comparison in regards to this thread.  

Yukons, Navis, Expeditions, Burbs, etc are in a class all to their own, but nice try.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Focker said:
    Phatchris said:
    Focker said:

Bwahahahahaha

A base GMC Yukon 4x4 is around $51k. A base GMC 1500 4x4 Crewcab is around $40k. $11k extra for a hatchback station wagon.
    The difference is actually a lot more as I was just looking and bought a SLT Crewcab. There's no real competition in the full size (truck frame)  SUV market anymore. The trucks get heavy discounts at times. The out the door cost of a Yukon SLT was $16k more than a SLT 1500. 
  • Phatchris
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Focker said:
    Phatchris said:
    Focker said:

Bwahahahahaha

I have a 14 Ram 1500 sport, it's my glorified SUV, for at least 15k less than a Tahoe.
  • The_Buffalo
    Options
    Did someone say trucks?!  Allow me to intruduce the Buffalo: a six-wheeled, 38-ton, armor-plated supertruck designed to demolish roadside bombs with abandon.  The Buffalo, built by Force Protection, is classified as a mine-protected clearance vehicle (MPCV). It measures 27 feet long, 13 feet tall, and nine feet wide, and it has room for six. It's outfitted with a 440 HP CAT C13 12.5l engine that provides a 55 MPH top speed while the 85 gallon fuel tank delivers a range of 300 miles. This, my friends, is what the "Buffalo" drives.

Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Focker said:
    A station wagon that can pull almost 9000. lmao

There are 3 others that do hit 9K or more.  The Yukon is a much better "all around" choice IMO.

http://www.autobytel.com/sport-utility-vehicles/car-buying-guides/10-suvs-with-the-best-towing-capacity-for-2016-130263/

An Acadia is a more accurate Subaru Outback SUV comparison in regards to this thread.  

Yukons, Navis, Expeditions, Burbs, etc are in a class all to their own, but nice try.
    My mom drove an Oldsmobile station wagon when I was a kid. I believe it had a 400 ci V8 in it but it was offered with a 455 ci V8 in later years. Doesn't matter what's under the hood, the Yukon is still a modern station wagon.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I got a 97 Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition POS. It does the job. Cheap transport, hauls a lot, not worried about it getting beat on.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky