Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My egg did this tonite... Pics

Options
My egg did this tonight. It went all the way around it. I held it steady at 500 for a couple hours and noticed it happened. The two minute smash burger cook was was worth it though!

NW IOWA

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    It's ok. It's just the ceramics purging its self of all the low and slow crud that built up in side. Do a good clean burn more often and you won't see that as much. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Pizza. Your egg is telling you it wants to cook more pizza. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Philly35
    Options
    Pizza. Your egg is telling you it wants to cook more pizza. 
    That's great! Ha

Ive heard of eggs doing this but never thought it would happen to me. The green coating isn't cracked or anything so i guess it's just an odd thing to actually see. 

I ran about 5-550 for three hours and realized that the band was slipping when I shut it down. Should I tighten it up while it's hot yet or wait for it to cool?
    NW IOWA
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Bet it rained a lot since you last used your egg? That is just water that seeped thru the ceramics.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Wait for it to cool. And they're not cracks its crazing. And it's there, you just can't see it yet.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Philly35
    Options
    Bet it rained a lot since you last used your egg? That is just water that seeped thru the ceramics.
    My egg sits in a table that gets wheeled into the garage when not in use. I did leave it out over night the other night and it rained though. 
    NW IOWA
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Mines never done that. Plenty of people on here see it though. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Do you do more low and slows than high heat cooks?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Do you do more low and slows than high heat cooks?
    I do. Usually when I use my egg, I have a whole day at home with nothing going on. I bet a haven't used it more than 6 times this summer. I use it quite a bit in the winter, but my spring, summer, and falls are busy. I'm stuck in a terragator all spring and fall and a sprayer all summer. Between that and having a child last winter, my egging life has been pretty sad. 

I pretty much just live to ice fish lol
    NW IOWA
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Ain't nothing wrong.  Wait until your egg cools and then rub it down with a hot, wet rag.  Do a few high heat cooks and you won't see that again for a while  Ain't nothing wrong.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    All of my Eggs bleed/purge the same gunk.  Even my Mini that has never seen a low and slow cook.  All of them are outside exposed to the elements and I usually only see this in the spring season.  

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Meat Sweats BGE Style
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Screw the "clean burn". Just make some dough sans sugar and do a few Zas 600℉ or above. Once your done if there is significant lump left pull the PS and let it burn itself out. IMHO that'll clean it up plenty. People that stress about having like new white ceramics is a sure sign of a non Q'n, panty wearing, gasser using, chocolate beer pansyass. If the shoe fits wear it. I'm just saying. :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Screw the "clean burn". Just make some dough sans sugar and do a few Zas 600℉ or above. Once your done if there is significant lump left pull the PS and let it burn itself out. IMHO that'll clean it up plenty. People that stress about having like new white ceramics is a sure sign of a non Q'n, panty wearing, gasser using, chocolate beer pansyass. If the shoe fits wear it. I'm just saying. :smiley:
    Hahaha
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    paging @fishlessman  for picture

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI