Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - SRF Black Briskets on Sale

Options
13»

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Think the same thing applies with every other type of brisket..... It can finish when it wants to finish.  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I have had one SRF black finish in the high 180's, most in the mid-high 190's to low 200's.  As above-the cow drives the finish-line.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Mine just arrived. I was curious and hit it with an IR gun and it was 5-8 deg F. 

So is there a recommendation for how long it can sit in the fridge?  I know some people wet age briskeys for a while so I'm not worried about the safety aspect as much as the flavor.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    Mine just arrived. I was curious and hit it with an IR gun and it was 5-8 deg F. 

So is there a recommendation for how long it can sit in the fridge?  I know some people wet age briskeys for a while so I'm not worried about the safety aspect as much as the flavor.  
    FYI - it's been wet-aged for 28 days before frozen, so keep that in mind as well.  I know people certainly go longer, but I can't give a recommendation on that.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    SRFShane said:

FYI - it's been wet-aged for 28 days before frozen, so keep that in mind as well.  I know people certainly go longer, but I can't give a recommendation on that.  
    @SRFShane- thanks!  So would you say use within a week or so of defrosting? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SRFShane
    Options
    SRFShane said:

@SRFShane- thanks!  So would you say use within a week or so of defrosting? 
    Our take is to use 1-2 weeks from defrosting.  That said, I know people that go 1-2 months, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with that.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    @SRFShane ... kind of ignorant question .. Is it okay to stick the brisket into the freezer right from the shipped Styrofoam box and defrost & cook it at a later time?
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SRFShane
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    @SRFShane ... kind of ignorant question .. Is it okay to stick the brisket into the freezer right from the shipped Styrofoam box and defrost & cook it at a later time?
    Absolutely.  
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    @SRFShane embarrassed to admit I've already ordered twice this week and spent the equivalent of 1/2 a mortgage payment.... and still curious what tomorrow will bring.  Any chance for tri tip?  Now that we're back on the east coast we can't seem to find it anywhere.  Our Costco doesn't even carry the pre-seasoned Guy Fieri ones....  (yes, his NY restaurant is awful, but pretty hard to mess up a decent cut of meat that is vacuum sealed with a good seasoning blend regardless of wh's name they stick on the package)
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options

Raymont said:
    No argument that SRF Briskets are awesome. Just my 2 cents: I'd recommend burnt ends. I did one and didn't do burnt ends and wish I had. While still a superior taste, I think the point could have benefited from a longer cook. Also, start probing at 180-185.. they get tender faster than other briskets. 

Below looks a little fatty but it just sort of melted in your mouth. very tasty! 

bgebrent said:
    lousubcap said:
    I need to get calibrated I guess.  I find the point to be pure deliciousness-I do not think I am capable of cubing and tossing that hunk of beef back on a BGE for a burnt ends treat.  I may need to ease my way into the deep end, sacrificing a prime point for the first test.  Regardless, can't beat a brisket cook.
    Or render it better.  My gold brisket probed at 185.  The point would've loved 195.  Learning curve for me brother.

The easy solution is to separate the point and the flat before cooking, and remove each as it gets done. An extra benefit is that there is more bark for burnt ends.

Put the point on an upper rack so that the drippings drip onto the flat. Put probes at both levels and in both roasts.

• SRFShane
    Options
    da87 said:
    @SRFShane embarrassed to admit I've already ordered twice this week and spent the equivalent of 1/2 a mortgage payment.... and still curious what tomorrow will bring.  Any chance for tri tip?  Now that we're back on the east coast we can't seem to find it anywhere.  Our Costco doesn't even carry the pre-seasoned Guy Fieri ones....  (yes, his NY restaurant is awful, but pretty hard to mess up a decent cut of meat that is vacuum sealed with a good seasoning blend regardless of wh's name they stick on the package)
    I'll admit that I've eaten at that restaurant - a result of poor planning and 3 hungry kids.  I honestly don't remember the food, but they had a decent IPA, so I was happy!  

As far as tomorrow - the running joke is that ANY product we're talking about, Annella pipes in with "that's my favorite".  Since we can't list all of the products on the sale page, tomorrow will be a 10% site-wide discount code.  It's especially effective on products that have "volume pricing" discounts because it stacks on top of that.  

As far as the tri-tip, that's kind of my go-to, especially in the summer.  We do steak salad with it - the perfect middle ground between what my wife wants (salad) and what I want (steak).  

Random - we got the funniest email from a customer today.  "Could you please end the Week of Annella early?  My freezer is full and my wallet is empty"  Good stuff.  
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    SRFShane said:
    da87 said:
    I'll admit that I've eaten at that restaurant - a result of poor planning and 3 hungry kids.  I honestly don't remember the food, but they had a decent IPA, so I was happy!  

As far as tomorrow - the running joke is that ANY product we're talking about, Annella pipes in with "that's my favorite".  Since we can't list all of the products on the sale page, tomorrow will be a 10% site-wide discount code.  It's especially effective on products that have "volume pricing" discounts because it stacks on top of that.  

As far as the tri-tip, that's kind of my go-to, especially in the summer.  We do steak salad with it - the perfect middle ground between what my wife wants (salad) and what I want (steak).  

Random - we got the funniest email from a customer today.  "Could you please end the Week of Annella early?  My freezer is full and my wallet is empty"  Good stuff.  
    Shame of shames, we once ate at the Olive Garden in Times Square. It was right after we got married. There are probably as many good Italian restaurants in NYC than there are in Rome, and my wife wanted to go to Olive Garden because it was familiar. 

After almost 30 years she is now a lot more adventurous, and she'll go anywhere once. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    SGH said:
    HeavyG said:
    Brisket virgin here.

Having never cooked a brisket would it be wiser to just start with what I can buy locally  from either my butcher or RD or would I be more likely to get a better result by starting with a better hunk of meat like one of these SRF's?

Brother Heavy, if you need a little assistance cooking brisket, there are several folks here that will be more than glad to help in any way that we can. Myself as well as others are open to taking phone calls while the cook is in progress. One of us can no doubt talk you right through it step by step. And will be glad to do so. You can certainly call me anytime. My name is Scottie. My number is 1-800-fukk-aliberal  ;)
    I could not resist that^^^^^^^.
    My real number is 228-627-5400. Call anytime. I will be more than glad to offer anything that I can. And that goes for anyone reading this. If I can ever help or offer assistance, just call or text. I will gladly offer what I can. Just don't call me about any diet or weight watcher crap =)
    @SGH. That phone number joke made me laugh out loud for about a minute.  Oh man i needed that!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SGH. That phone number joke made me laugh out loud for about a minute.  Oh man i needed that!
    Glad that you enjoyed that my friend. You may not be aware of this, but in a former life long ago before I was a Subsea Mainline Quality Manager, I was an Elvis impersonator as well as a standup comedian. The liberals just loved me ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    SGH said:
    Glad that you enjoyed that my friend. You may not be aware of this, but in a former life long ago before I was a Subsea Mainline Quality Manager, I was an Elvis impersonator as well as a standup comedian. The liberals just loved me ;)
    too funny.  I have been known to get a crowd going from time to time with a few laughs....
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    SGH said:
    Pics or it didn't happen 
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    First order in garage freezer (of 2 orders placed and fighting hard against the urge for one more today...):

Double R filets on top shelf, two cuts of SRF sirloin below. Cap steak and brisket in the next box
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options

Order 1 of 2

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• ThrillSeeker
    Options

Order 1 of 2

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    piney said:
    Just ordered. Thanks Shane
    Piney....I am expecting an invite.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    This was 184. SRF Gold wet aged in the bag for three weeks. 

DAYUM!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95