Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caribbean Style Jerk Chicken. In the style of Dixie.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
A few days back I had the good fortune of getting to spend some time in the Caribbean island hopping. On the island of Saint Maaren I was treated to some of the finest jerk chicken and goat as I have ever had. 
Here is a view of Saint Maarten:

Here is the Chicken Goddess at the helm whipping up her masterpiece. 

My fat self wainting on the grub. 

The goat. 

The jerk chicken, mahi mahi and ribs. 

Fellows I kid you not when I say that chicken was in a league of its own. Simply phenomenal. I asked her how she made it and this as best I could tell is what she said. Her English was extremely limited and broken to say the least. 
Jerk Sauce:
1 cup cactus juice. 
1 cup muscadine juice. 
1 cup passion fruit juice. 
1/2 cup coconut juice. 
5 scotch bonnet peppers. 
5 banana peppers. 
Blend the above together and sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of salt while blending. 
Dry rub:
1 teaspoon sage. 
1 teaspoon cinnamon.
1 teaspoon Rosemary.
1 teaspoon cilantro.
The above is what she gave me. Rather it's legit or not, I have no idea. 
The chicken was cooked over a combination of Red Maple, Sugar Maple and sassafras wood. Honeysuckle trimmings were added a handful at a time from what I could see. She cooked raised direct at 225 degrees until the chicken would pull easily.   

Now my humble attemp to recreate her masterpiece. While I certainly can not get the original ingrediants, I thought why not improvise with things that I like. Just make it hot.  

My cooking method varied from hers. I cooked this akin to how I cook clod. 2 hours at 180 degrees over oak, pecan and cherry. 

Note: Some real smart scientific people say that this is dangerous. So don't do it. Cook at 225 degrees or preferably higher for your own safety. You have been warned. 

After 2 hours I bumped the might mini to 200 degrees for the next 9 hours. A steady light stream of true blue. 

After the temp bump I mopped every hour for 9 hours. 

Mopped. 

After 2 hours at 180 degrees and 9 hours at 200 degrees, here she is. 

Above I did not list my all of my rub or jerk ingriedants or amounts. I figure that most folks already have one that they like. However if anyone wants it, I will gladly share it. My process in a nutshell was indirect on the mini at 180 degrees for 2 hours over oak, pecan and cherry to lay down a heavy smoke profile. Then 9 hours at 200 degrees until the bone pulled away easily from the joint. As always, I hope that y'all enjoy this humble cook and thanks for looking. I know that time is money. May the Thunder Gods smile down upon us all my friends, and keep us ever in their good grace and favor. Good night and God bless. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Looks good! You left out one small bit of info - how did it taste?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    HeavyG said:
     how did it taste?
    On a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 9.5. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That looks pretty good, my friend.
    Options
    That looks pretty good, my friend.
    Thanks ole buddy. It turned out pretty darn good. This was a test run. Going to make a much larger batch next time.

Status- Standing by.

• BrueggeDad
    BrueggeDad Posts: 112
    Options
    That looks mighty good.  Thanks for the pics and info.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Great post.. Everything looks awesome.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    You should have showed her a picture of your unit!

Grub looks good! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Great job. I love jerk chicken but have never been able to get even close to the way it tastes in Jamaica. Well done. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That looks like it did not suck!!   I bet after 11hrs you prolly didn't even need teeth to chew it.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks great brother!  Did Ron pony up some for the trip to St. Maarten? ;) Thanks for sharing!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    Great job. I love jerk chicken but have never been able to get even close to the way it tastes in Jamaica. Well done. 
    Jamaicans say it is not true Jerk unless it is cooked with pimento wood which is native and only in Jamaica. 

As I've previously posted, this is I think one of the only sources in the USA to buy pimento products. I have no association other thasn that as a customer. 

www.pimentowood.com

Not only does pimento impart the unique smoke flavor it also imparts the unique color. 

I'm sure @SGH's jerk is fabulous. It's just not "authentic" according to the native Jamaicans 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very cool post...Looks way better than the food served on the Island of North Caicos.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice. Now how about those pics on the beach
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Awesome post!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • ThrillSeeker
    ThrillSeeker Posts: 306
    Options
    @sgh What ingredients did you use for your mop?  I love that Walkerswood jerk seasoning.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Now that looks like a labor of love. Looks fantastic.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Interesting, no premarinade, I guess the long cook time balances that.  Did you get flavor into the meat, or just the surface?
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @SGH did you visit the famous Orient Beach? (nude beach) on St. M? 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Trust me when I say that the people you would like to see are not nude and the people who are they don't make enough eye bleach to unsee. Beautiful beach and one portion of it is designated as "nude".
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    NCSmoky said:
    JethroVA said:
    Trust me when I say that the people you would like to see are not nude and the people who are they don't make enough eye bleach to unsee. Beautiful beach and one portion of it is designated as "nude".
    Was there several years ago. There was plenty of topless on the non-nude side that was world class. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options

Looks and sounds wonderful! Only 1 chicken leg........... you must be starving! =)

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Looks awesome.  I need to give this a shot.  Thanks for sharing!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    NCSmoky said:
    JethroVA said:
    Agree with you brother Smoky.  The airport is far more entertaining.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrillFriend
    Options
    We have the ONLY company approved that imports authentic Pimento wood from Jamaica. We also have a big green egg.  We have had great success doing jerk chicken, Jerk brisket, jerk ribs on our egg. I do HIGHLY recommend using pimento wood chips - wet in a tinfoil burrito. A little goes a long way. You can find them on Amazon and PimentoWood dot com.  Also YouTube has videos of the process. Yea Mon!! 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    We have the ONLY company approved that imports authentic Pimento wood from Jamaica. We also have a big green egg.  We have had great success doing jerk chicken, Jerk brisket, jerk ribs on our egg. I do HIGHLY recommend using pimento wood chips - wet in a tinfoil burrito. A little goes a long way. You can find them on Amazon and PimentoWood dot com.  Also YouTube has videos of the process. Yea Mon!! 
    Any chance you could explain what you do for jerk brisket or a recipe? @GrillFriend Thanks!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Another thumbs up here....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    YUMMY!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    Jamaicans say it is not true Jerk unless it is cooked with pimento wood which is native and only in Jamaica. 

As I've previously posted, this is I think one of the only sources in the USA to buy pimento products. I have no association other thasn that as a customer. 

www.pimentowood.com

Not only does pimento impart the unique smoke flavor it also imparts the unique color. 

I'm sure @SGH's jerk is fabulous. It's just not "authentic" according to the native Jamaicans 
    Maybe not authentic but in the style of dixie.
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Maybe not authentic but in the style of dixie.
    Agree ole buddy. That was the whole point of putting "In the style of Dixie" in the title. In no way is my jerk chicken "true" Jamaican jerk. However my southern version of the dish was quite good. I feel that anyone who tries it will be well pleased the with the end results.  

Status- Standing by.