Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chips or chunks

Options
GrillSgt
GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
I'm new to the egg. I have always used chips when grilling or smoking. Do you use chunks for the long smoke? Soaked first? Thanks

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    No need to soak. I use chunks since they last longer. Many people use chips and mix them throughout the charcoal.  Try whatever you can buy easily.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No need to soak and chips are fine, mix them thru the lump as you fill the fire box. Restricted airflow in the egg limits flare ups to when you open the dome, otherwise the chips do their smokey magic. Suggest you use less than you do in a kettle or other smoker and don't look for large whiffs of smoke coming out the top. Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    as said: NO SOAK...... I use whatever i have handy. I only turbo so 5 hours is a long cook for me and not that often anyway. So both work just fine
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I do 4 chunks and about two handfuls of chips fora low and slow. Layer them both throughout the lump while I'm filling it. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    It's about how much smoke you desire for the food you're cooking. Different strokes........
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    no need to soak.  i use whatever is available, and usually focus them in the middle of the lump vertically up and down through it.  gives smoke throughout the cook.

chips will not ignite in the egg, so they don't 'burn up' faster than chunks.  you just need more of them to produce the same amount of smoke.  all things being equal, including the amount used, chips or chunks will produce the same amount of smoke.

truth be told, i get better results mixing chips and bits in than i do betting it all on one or two chunks of the same weight. fire can move away from a lone chunk. but it usually finds chips or bits (twigs, etc.) spread throughout the lump
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Either or. I tend to use chunks of Oak but, only because that's what's handy. I have both and use pretty much everything. It all burns and smokes. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Chunks
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Both - I like to use the ash tool to mix the chips into the lump than maybe add a couple chunks right on the edge of the fire before putting meat in.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Chunks here!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Non soaked chunks. Mostly Pecan, Peach and Sugar Maple.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Thanks. The consensus is that there is no consensus. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Thanks. The consensus is that there is no consensus. 
    much consensus, actually.  no need to soak, and put in whatever you have, and more if you want more smoke.

pretty straight forward actually.

if you want to drive further, put more gas in the tank. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Non soaked chunks. Mostly Pecan, Peach and Sugar Maple.
    Found Sugar Maple a couple of years ago and wow on pork and turkey
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.