Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tip-Top controller gets some bling

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
Those of you who own a Tip-Top know that it merely sits on top of your dome neck meaning it has to be removed or it falls off when you open the dome. I'm not sure if this is an original idea, but today I bought a piece of ductwork called a reducer. It steps a 6" down to 5". I'll need to cut a couple small darts in the 5" side so that they will fit snuggly inside the Tip-Top. My intention is also to run a gasket around the inside of the 6" as the fit is a bit sloppy. I realize it looks funny, but hey maybe it will work!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @RRP I picked one up after reading about it from you on this forum.  Mine came with a silicone wrap tape to keep it in place when opening the dome.  Tape has crapped out so I use heat resistant duct tape to perform that function along with that oversized rubber band.
    Gather you were just cruising thru a hard-ware store when genius struck?  Great idea.  Thanks for the heads-up.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Options
    I can't do it yet today, but I plan to cut the smaller 5" side down so the Tip-Top will appear to be sitting right at the top of the /\ slanted side of the reducing collar. That way this bling won't look like such a long necked goose!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I just received my TTT - right before I left for Mom's 100th birthday party. Haven't used it yet, other than a trial run on the large. Temp control was pretty good, but I figured there must be a better way to attach it to the egg. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Or...one could just take the TTT off before opening the dome and then put it back on after closing the dome.

It's not as if it is really controlling the temperature when the dome is open anyway. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Or...one could just take the TTT off before opening the dome and then put it back on after closing the dome.

It's not as if it is really controlling the temperature when the dome is open anyway. :)
    I agree, but if I didn't have to put on gloves to lift it off and find a place to sit it since it gets so hot that's be one thing, but my intention after trimming that 5" shorter is to attach the TTT to the reducer with a set screw. Then by adding the interior gasket to tighten the dome side I don't plan to have to remove it at all when I open the dome.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron, I have been out of the country (Saint Marteen) for the last 13 days. But I'm home now ole buddy. Money jokes coming your way in a little while. You have been warned my friend :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Ron, I have been out of the country (Saint Marteen) for the last 13 days. But I'm home now ole buddy. Money jokes coming your way in a little while. You have been warned my friend :D
    Good to hear you're OK. I assume you saw my email the other night inquiring about your well being. No reply made me wonder all that much more! 
  • SGH
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    Good to hear you're OK. I assume you saw my email the other night inquiring about your well being. No reply made me wonder all that much more! 
    No sir. I have not seen it. Will check again now that I'm back on the home wifi though. As always, I certainly appreciate you thinking about me ole buddy. Fixing to sit back, relax, and smoke a Cuban  =)

If I had your money I would smoke 2 ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    edited July 2016
    Options
    As I said last night I shortened and darted the 5" portion so that it would insert into the TTT and I put 2 set screws to hold it tight.

Which looks nicer than this before shot:

• lousubcap
    Options
    Great handiwork and result.  Looks like it will definitely make the use of the TTT a whole lot more appealing.  On the hunt Monday.  Thanks-
    And if I had @SGH 's money I would buy two  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

Ron, besides esthetics, does this provide any advantages?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • SGH
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    And if I had @SGH 's money I would buy two  ;)
    This is heresy  :o

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    Wardster said:

Ron, besides esthetics, does this provide any advantages?

Not really, but in the original picture the top was just balancing neck to neck, not attached.
  • Wardster
    Options
    I mean the top in general, not the modifications...
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Wardster said:
    Well my intention was to secure the TTT someway so I could lift the dome without having to set the TTT aside since it gets so hot.
  • TampaBayKD
    Options

I have no clue what that thing is but appreciate your taste in sticks. This was my treat today.  
    Large BGE and lots of bourbon. 
    Clearwater, FL
  • RRP
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great handiwork and result.  Looks like it will definitely make the use of the TTT a whole lot more appealing.  On the hunt Monday.
    Thanks. Let me share what I would do differently if I were making one again based on my experience today. The depth of the TTT is 1.125" so I took my sabre saw and cut the reducer's 5" side down to 1". I used my bench grinder to knock off any sharp edges. I thought I could just cut a few darts to make it slip inside the TTT, but that wasn't enough and I ended up cutting them about every 1". Even at that the reducer fought slipping in straight as I wanted it to. Due to all the darts then the 2 sheet metal screws were neceassy. If I were to make another I would cut just one large dart clear through 5" side plus clear into the reducer cone portion. That way I believe you could finesse the dart sufficiently to get it into the TTT without distorting nor compromising the integrity of the reducer unit. Even if there is a minute leakage in the cone section that could be patched, but I probably wouldn't even bother. HTH 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @RRP -  Thanks for the details. Your skill set is much stronger than mine but I will find the reducer and adapt from there.  Gotta be better than the heat resistant tape deal (although that works better than the original silicone tape it shipped with.)
  • RRP
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @RRP -  Thanks for the details. Your skill set is much stronger than mine but I will find the reducer and adapt from there.  Gotta be better than the heat resistant tape deal (although that works better than the original silicone tape it shipped with.)
    Obviously I bought my TTT before they came up with the tape idea. All mine had was that red rubber band which was a joke from the get go! 
  • RRP
    Options
    Bad shot, but the humidity tonight along with a severe cloud cover messed with my flash ability - but anyway here's my newly altered TTT cooking a meatloaf. I was aiming for 340º dome but I settled for 338º! Guess my adapted reducer works!  =)

• Brddog
    Brddog Posts: 18
    Options
    Perhaps I am using it wrong but I slide the silicon band down the neck of the egg so that half is on the tip top controller and half is on the egg. It holds it perfectly in place whether closed or raised. I have never had it fall off and have probably done 20-30 low and slows this way. Really like it. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Brddog said:
    Perhaps I am using it wrong but I slide the silicon band down the neck of the egg so that half is on the tip top controller and half is on the egg. It holds it perfectly in place whether closed or raised. I have never had it fall off and have probably done 20-30 low and slows this way. Really like it. 
    Thanks but I must have an outdated TTT or rubber band or something! My TTT measures 5" and the dome of my large egg is about 6" - no way will that rubber band adapt. OTOH my Medium has the same size neck as my Large. My Small measures about 4.5" as I recall and again no way MY red rubber band is going to fit tight like you said yours does. Got any pictures?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @RRP, Ron, you don't have an outdated TTT, you have an outdated EGG! The diameter of my large top vent is 5", same as the TTT. I do wish the rubber band was wider, but @Brddog is right, it does seem to stay put.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    @RRP, Ron, you don't have an outdated TTT, you have an outdated EGG! The diameter of my large top vent is 5", same as the TTT. I do wish the rubber band was wider, but @Brddog is right, it does seem to stay put.
    Well then I will say something in the same vein that you do, Michael - guess I'll never know if the TTT will fit a new BGE because I'm sure the h*ll not going to be buying another BGE!

BTW when did BGE downsize the OD dome neck to just 5" diameter?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    RRP said:
    lousubcap said:
    Obviously I bought my TTT before they came up with the tape idea. All mine had was that red rubber band which was a joke from the get go! 
    The TTT was intended to be used on a Weber Kettle or Weber Smokey Mountain by just sitting it on the lid surface. The silicone rubber band works just fine in that application. It seals and keeps it from sliding off. I've had one since they first came out and use it on my Webers just fine.

Obviously to use on another type of cooker some tricks may be in order and your reducer gizmo seems to address some of those issues for use on a BGE.

Another helpful thing about that silicone band  is that I can place the hot TTT on pretty much any surface without worrying about it burning or scorching the surface. The TTT is made from a very light gauge metal and it doesn't have enough mass to keep hot for very long and being lightweight I can easily remove/replace it with a pair of tongs (which are always about) in 2 seconds.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I use my Tip Top with my Smokeware cap it slides in to bottom end of cap and stays secure to egg with lid open .if it rains you can put Smokeware top cap on to keep rain out .Works GREAT!!! The simplicity is what is really appealing to me ,I have two purchased at $19 each .
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use an old green bean can with holes poked in it by my old rusty screw driver. Need more air flow, just poke another hole, need less, add duct tape. We just get by.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Wardster said:
    @Wardster - if you are asking about the tip top temp: 
    http://tiptoptemp.com/

...it is a mechanical temperature controller.  It maintains temp using a bimetallic coil that opens or closes the damper. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Wardster
    Options
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt.  Does it work well?
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • RRP
    Options
    @Wardster - now that I understand your question permit me to answer your question. For the cost vs. that for an electronic one yes it works. It is designed to work at low temperatures - in fact like 335 max but I was locked in at 338 last night for nearly 90 minutes. Do you need it? no, but it is an inexpensive baby sitter!